Question about using a stabilizer?

/ Question about using a stabilizer? #61  
I read all the praise for Star-Tron on this forum and I have used it. But then I saw a you tube video on a motorcycle channel that tested gas stabilizers and it's results were one of the worst?
So I started using Marine Stabil again.
I've had two different small engine repair guys say that the are telling their customers not to use StarTron. This was 8 or 9 years ago, so I'm not remembering exactly what the issue was, but it had to do with problems they noticed when tearing down engines which had been brought in for repair. I'm thinking it was either corrosion or some sort of build-up in the engines.

/ Question about using a stabilizer? #62  
Have never tried the marine version. How does it differ from the normal StaBil?
The marine version is specifically formulated for use in wet or very humid environments. If I recall correctly, it doesn't stabilize for as long as the red stuff, but it has extra corrosion inhibitors.

/ Question about using a stabilizer? #63  
I’ve been using the expensive pre-mixed 2-stroke fuel from a big box store for a number of years now. Engines love it and I haven’t had 1 fuel related issue while using that fuel.

I go though probably 10-12 gallons of that stuff per year and it is nearly $25/gallon now…

I’m curious about Avgas use and going back to mixing oil. I’m at the airport often enough, that seems easy if I’ll get similar results.

May be worth a test (sucks if it goes wrong and I have to jack with another engine/carb though)

Finding non-ethanol fuel at a pump is nearly impossible locally, 30+ miles to a lake that I believe has it for boaters. I think avgas here is cheaper ($5.38 right now)

/ Question about using a stabilizer? #64  
I've had two different small engine repair guys say that the are telling their customers not to use StarTron. This was 8 or 9 years ago, so I'm not remembering exactly what the issue was, but it had to do with problems they noticed when tearing down engines which had been brought in for repair. I'm thinking it was either corrosion or some sort of build-up in the engines.
Well I don't know how a test can get more scientific than what I saw in that video, but it was enough to tell me to stay away from everything except Stabil.
Or just don't use anything at all.

My friend that drives tanker says all our fuels are treated right at the tank farm and you don't need to worry about anything?

/ Question about using a stabilizer? #65  
I've kept various versions of stabilizers for customers over the years. For the most part they work fine for simple off season storage or keeping their fuel fresh for the season in these households with small yards. I point to the back of the bottle and tell them the "keeps fuel fresh for two years" is a blatant lie. Tell them to run 'em monthly if they can remember.

If a person wants to use a shut off and treat their fuel- great. There still is fuel in carb unless it has been drained, but at least the fuel in the line behind the valve isn't oxidized.

I do stabilize mine. But I have a chipper with a Vanguard twin that can sit a spell and there isn't always room to keep it in a closed building. So it is camping now in a loafing shed. That carb is pitted and susceptible to corrosion, but it runs well. For things that require extra metal protection, it gets dosed with a few ounces of diesel on the last run. Anyways the diesel has kept the carb together for the last 3 or 4 years rather than the top being pulled and clean the corrosion out.

/ Question about using a stabilizer? #66  
The newer the engine the less likely they can tolerate old fuel.
Two strokers should always use fresh fuel. Never stored fuel 30 days or more. -- High compression high speed, small passages in the carburetor.

Non ethanol gasoline though more expensive equals less problems.
Some small engines handle old fuel better than others but I've never found any pattern between old vs newer ones in that regard. Agree that 2 strokes are much fussier about fresh gas than 4 strokes.

ISTR stored gas going flat just as quickly in the pre-ethanol days as it does now.

/ Question about using a stabilizer? #67  
When you guys use Sta-bil for storage in cans (not engines) do you add it before or after filling can with gas?
Before! When I take all of my gas cans to be filled I "always" put 1 ounce in each one. Then when I fill them up at the station it mixes the Sta-bil in. That way I never have to worry whether I put it in or not. Never had any problems with storage.

As for my diesel... I "pre-add" an anti-coagulant.

/ Question about using a stabilizer? #68  
I buy ethanol free gas which isn’t hard to get in my area and don’t add anything. I’ve gotten a lot of free equipment with screwed up or usually completely ruined carbs from people but I’ve never had a problem with ethanol free gas messing up. I’ll leave stuff sitting for the better part of a year and it always starts.

I've started using Clear Premium in any small engine that gets infrequently used.

However, every year I have to pull apart my lawnmower carburetor and clean it. Rather annoying. So, perhaps the next time I clean the carb, I'll try some fuel stabilizer just before I run the last tank through. Run it enough to get some into the carb.

/ Question about using a stabilizer? #69  
The marine version is specifically formulated for use in wet or very humid environments. If I recall correctly, it doesn't stabilize for as long as the red stuff, but it has extra corrosion inhibitors.
You got me curious... and i looked it up:
Marine Stabil up to 12 mo
Regular up to 15
storage up to 24
Still would prefer Marine version

/ Question about using a stabilizer? #70  
The Project Farm guy has a lot of good reviews. And, yep, Ethanol, non-Ethanol, and fuel stabilizers.

Well worth watching.

Non-Ethanol fuel seems much better than the ethanol for small engines left sitting. The improvement from the Lucas fuel stabilizer was very minimal.