Question for those who live in California

/ Question for those who live in California #221  
Why can’t the California overlords simply allow insurance companies to charge a price that allows them to at least offer insurance in that market?
How would having a choice of expensive insurance be worse than no insurance possibilities at all?

Are they too proud of their destructive policies, to if not permanently, at least temporarily remove the restrictions?
One theory is California is such a large market it can dictate requirements.

An example of this back in the 70's is when California implemented unleaded gas for catalytic converters...

At the time conventional wisdoms said the auto industry will not build just for one State... and look how that turned out.

/ Question for those who live in California #222  
There's no 'silver bullet' that will solve the insurance problem but change is on the way.

This article describes proposed changes to insurance regulations that will allow the insurance companies to use 'catastrophic modeling' to make a fair profit.

But ... "Florida has long allowed insurers to use catastrophe modeling and has let them factor in reinsurance costs in their rates — yet its insurance market is in worse shape than California’s.
“Florida’s rates are three or four times the national average.” ... Insurance Information Institute, an industry group, confirmed that the group estimates that Florida’s average home insurance premium was $6,000, or three-and-a-half times the national average, in 2023."

/ Question for those who live in California #223  
Maybe the end goal is government take over of Fire Insurance in California and Hurricane in Florida...

Government already heavy into Flood and Earthquake...

/ Question for those who live in California #224  
Looks like the ban on gas appliances is over citing Federal supremacy regulations.

70 jurisdictions in California jumped on the ban in one form or another...

Also California jobless rate is highest in the nation and 36% of SF commercial property remains vacant...

Who says California isn't number 1 anymore?

Last edited:
   / Question for those who live in California #225  
There's no 'silver bullet' that will solve the insurance problem but change is on the way.

This article describes proposed changes to insurance regulations that will allow the insurance companies to use 'catastrophic modeling' to make a fair profit.
Here is my take after reading the article:

1. The insurance industry, with competition, market forces, and supply and demand, worked before the government got involved.
2. The government got involved to "help." Then repeatedly denied rate increases which drove the industry into a ditch.
3. Unable to make a profit, escape the ditch, or get a response to pleas for change, insurance companies fled.
4. The government's new "solution" is to keep themselves in control but adjust to some modified rules.

Am I the only one that sees an obvious problem here? :D

/ Question for those who live in California #226  
My clients grandson came by to visit today. He writes software for a drone company. A lot of what they do is look at roofs of houses for insurance companies, but also for tax purpose for the State of California.

His current project is to identify solar panes on the roof of a house, and how much area they cover. But more importantly, California wants to know who "DOESN'T" have solar panels on their houses. They want to be able to do this as fast as possible, and to be able to cover as big an area as possible.

All of you in California are in for another level of Big Brother checking up on you, and probably making your life even more expensive then it already is!!!!

/ Question for those who live in California #227  
I'm out of luck... my panels are ground mount on a downslope.

Whatever the eye can see is the new frontier.

Reminds me of a story where a guy was fed up with his county assessor and cut a large blue tarp in the shape of a pool with a brown tarp border and then added patio chairs around the edge and air mattresses in the in the "Pool"

The assessor sent a bill for the pool and he said I have no pool...

He would toy with them saying you're making up stuff.

He appealed to the board and said no pool.

Appeals board ordered a site visit and found no pool and admonished assessor staff for putting this property owner in front of the board and questioned findings presented in other cases based on images presented...

Last edited:
   / Question for those who live in California #228  
More evidence why I chose to move away and stop contributing my taxes to a system out of control.

I have nothing against transgender. But I oppose public policy to favor a 1 percent minority instead of a 99% majority.

But, now that I am away, go for it! 😀

Last edited:
   / Question for those who live in California #229  
Solar panels have been required on new construction in CA for a few years. They're not required on existing buildings. Whatever this is, it's not to find people with older houses to make them install solar.

I don't know how much solar is required on new houses but from the new subdivisions I have seen, its not much.

/ Question for those who live in California #230  
I don't know how much solar is required on new houses but from the new subdivisions I have seen, its not much.
I discovered an odd quirk in building codes. At least in my CA county. The permit requirements to add a solar array are significant. But if you construct an ADU (accessory dwelling unit), adding solar is a requirement with no special permitting.

Most people figure it would involve a few panels on the roof of an ADU. Makes sense. But I'd like a big solar array to handle everything. I asked the Planning department if I could implement a full size ground mount solar array as part of the ADU requirement and they said "sure."