Question for those who live in California

/ Question for those who live in California #231  
Solar panels have been required on new construction in CA for a few years. They're not required on existing buildings. Whatever this is, it's not to find people with older houses to make them install solar.

I don't know how much solar is required on new houses but from the new subdivisions I have seen, its not much.
My 15 year old panels are 160w and using more modern panels I would need less than half the panels for my 6kW system.

On my best day my 6kW system peeks about 4.3 kW... still enough to be a net rebate customer as my output covers my usage, meter fee and a $200-300 check to me at true up.

Last edited:
   / Question for those who live in California #232  
Another business I know is moving to Nevada and the owner told me the final straw was a PAGA action.

I have never heard of it and it seems to be a only in California thing.

The owner issued company cell phones to his employee but he was found not to have reimbursed employees for time answering calls while on break or after hours plus time to maintain the phone including electricity to charge from home.

Has anyone had PAGA experience?

Employees act as private attorneys general in a PAGA lawsuit, thus the name Private Attorneys General Act (PAGA). Essentially, employees can pursue civil penalties on behalf of the California attorney general.

PAGA isn’t a normal lawsuit, but it’s a lawsuit for compensation and a type of law enforcement action

/ Question for those who live in California #233  
Has anyone had PAGA experience?
I just looked it up. I stopped being an employer in CA in 2004, which is the year it took effect. Before this I had never heard of such a thing.

Enable employees with quasi LEO powers as a "Private Attorney General" against their employer? What could possibly go wrong?

/ Question for those who live in California #234  
Here is an interesting article. There are some good points made, but I'd disagree with a few comments such as:

"Legal and undocumented immigration have increased since the pandemic, “but not to prior levels — nowhere near,” Johnson says."

The reader comments at the bottom of the article are quite interesting. A good cross section of thoughts of ordinary people.

I still think the biggest point is missed. The article focus is a somewhat small dip in total population. But there is something more impactful. A separate large segment of skilled, employed, taxpaying folks are departing and being replaced, 1 for 1, with unskilled, unemployed, non-taxpaying citizens. "Net zero" on population headcount but a huge difference in social services paid out and loss of income tax revenue. I believe that is the 800lb gorilla regarding CA population, but nobody ever reports on or analyzes that.

/ Question for those who live in California #235  
Stay put the freeways are
Overloaded now and with all the illegals that I am helping house we are
Good

/ Question for those who live in California #237  
I still think the biggest point is missed. The article focus is a somewhat small dip in total population. But there is something more impactful. A separate large segment of skilled, employed, taxpaying folks are departing and being replaced, 1 for 1, with unskilled, unemployed, non-taxpaying citizens. "Net zero" on population headcount but a huge difference in social services paid out and loss of income tax revenue. I believe that is the 800lb gorilla regarding CA population, but nobody ever reports on or analyzes that.
Fully agree! They are missing the forest for the trees.

/ Question for those who live in California #238  
Looks like it is the new path forward... if it can be done to housing providers by declaring an emergency then why not grocery stores as food and shelter are necessities?

With all the businesses closing citing safety it's a novel idea passing a law that says not so fast.

Last edited:
   / Question for those who live in California #239  
Over 50 new landlord tenant laws

Now illegal not to count Section 8 voucher amount as income.

Having a hard time with this because I was taught Income is what you put in your tax return.

I manage one Section 8 with a $2500 monthly housing voucher subsidy…

That’s 30k but not taxable?

/ Question for those who live in California #240  
Same way unemployment is non taxable, no? It's a govt handout so it's non taxable.
Now then, a Social Security payment is not a handout, theoretically you paid in what you are getting out.
SS payments are taxable income.