Question for those who live in California

/ Question for those who live in California #41  
Now California has a special “ebony alert “, to add to the special “ feather alert “, because people can’t be grouped together under amber alert.
What an amazing state.

/ Question for those who live in California #42  
It boggles the mind at how every aspect of life comes under regulation.

/ Question for those who live in California #43  
   / Question for those who live in California #44  
January 1 2024 an estimated 700,000
now qualify for free healthcare as legal status is no longer required to access.

Strange how these costly programs come about at a time when California is facing budget issues.

California welcomes you with free healthcare is the new slogan.

The next issue is how to force doctors to participate.

/ Question for those who live in California #45  
   / Question for those who live in California #46  
As luck would have it I just received my WA property tax bill.

Washington tax bill is now over 20k ($20,304.35)
Ugh. IIRC, Washington State has no State income tax, so maybe they have to make it up elsewhere. (Are WS sales taxes high too?) Doesn't seem fair to out of state property owners unless there's an exemption of some sort.
That's a lot! How much property do you own there?

Some states give some sort of property tax exemption to a primary residence. My sisters both live in Vermont, and they pay a lower rate on their homes than they do on other property, including in one case a second home. I believe Florida also charges a higher rate to non-residents as well.

As JMC noted, the money's got to come from somewhere. Here in N.H. we have neither a sales nor an income tax, so our property taxes are on the high side (though not appreciably more than those in Vt., which has both). Lots of "user fees" too...can be pricey to register a new vehicle.

/ Question for those who live in California #47  
A friend moved from CA to KY and complains about higher property taxes, DMV fees, and insurance in KY

/ Question for those who live in California
Maybe one more Nevada vs. California comparison:

A few years ago, we built a luxury residence in Nevada, over 5,000 sq ft. Brand new construction-- building permit cost was $3,100.

I am currently considering whether or not to build a 1,200 sq ft residence in California. Less than 25% of the size of our Nevada home. Building permit cost in CA is $16,000, which is a "bargain" since it is an "ADU" onto an existing property (accessory dwelling unit.) Common term used here is a granny flat.

Had we considered building the same luxury residence in CA, the base building permit cost would be $40,000-- before they started adding requirements to improve local access roads, etc. I did not get too far in the process but estimated the administrative and permitting costs, all in, would be nearly $200,000.

The fees are ... what they are ... my reason for leaving CA was how that money is then used ... which involved spending it in ways that I do not agree with.
Better explanation, thank you.

I know California isn't gun friendly. Would never move back to New York for that same reason. That said, not trying to get this into a bashing California thread on guns, because that is not my intent.

Lets just say after spending two weeks in and around the Sierra Nevada's for two weeks as well as the coast in California for a couple of days, I would never think in a million years I could ever think about living in California, but it's one of the most amazing states that I've been to, as my wife as well.

Would I live in Philly when I lived in Pa? NO. Would I live in NYC when I lived in NY? No. Would I live in or around Charlotte or Raleigh since I've been in NC for 20 years? NO. Might live around Charleston WV if in WV, but that's pushing it LOL Point being, large cities generally always are the worst part in the state to live because that's in my nature.

Cost of living as well as housing (as Mr. Walker pointed out) would be the deciding factor.

Again, started this thread about that inheritance tax I heard of, which doesn't seem to exist. That said, if we moved to Californina, we problably wouldn't have a inheritance to worry about LOL

/ Question for those who live in California
As JMC noted, the money's got to come from somewhere. Here in N.H. we have neither a sales nor an income tax, so our property taxes are on the high side (though not appreciably more than those in Vt., which has both). Lots of "user fees" too...can be pricey to register a new vehicle.
My wife was born and lived in Vermont for 35 years before she moved to NC. She wouldn't give any thought to moving back due in part to taxes. Winter, Mud and Fly season are the reasons LOL

/ Question for those who live in California #50  
Born and raised in the Midwest/east coast. Move to California in 78 and never looked back. Retired now with no plans to leave. If I ever want to see the snow, all I have to do is look to the east. I don't ever have to live in it or shovel it. Don't like the politics, turn off the TV and go outside to enjoy the weather.

YMMV