Question for you wood workers....

/ Question for you wood workers....
You could make the lid also include the 2 sides so when you lift the lid, it lifts the 2 sides so you have free access to the sides of the bible

This one also crossed my mind (presuming we're on same page).... what stumped me was how would I attach essentially the front and back "walls" that would be free standing AND keep them strong. Don't think I'd trust just a dado (or is it a rabbit) with the wall glued in. I see a free standing piece in front and in the back that if pushed sideways could damage the joint.

Trying to figure out what you mean when you say the lid doesn't have to be flat. If you knew how uncreative I am you'd know that my only vision is of a flat top.

/ Question for you wood workers.... #12  
I like the " make it like an upside down box " thought. Attach sides to "lid" instead of the bottom

/ Question for you wood workers.... #13  
Similar to above but now, sides ARE attached to the top which would be exactly like a cake plate. But now, how do I fasten said wood to base so it would hold together or do I just leave it as two distinct sections where the top could be knocked around, relative to the base?

use a trunk clasp to hold the top to the base. That way the entire top can be removed just like a cake plate.

trunk clasp.jpg

You guys have been fantastic. I might still have some cobwebs in my head but this is a general thought of what's in my mind.

I'm leaning on the "cake plate" idea. Base is the bottom. a 3/4" lip around the center section. The center is where the bible will reside. The lower lip will be for the lid to have a solid frame to buttress it. How to pick it up? route out some indentions into both sides and the ends so you can get your fingers under it when it's sitting flat on a table or something.

Top, dovetailed box.... I like the idea, no, I REALLY like the idea of a pane of glass in there however, I'm a bit nervous on how to build it in and what happens in 20 years when someone breaks the glass.....how to replace it easily....

There's another one for the brain trust.... if the four walls are dovetailed, with a slot in there to hold the glass, how to replace? Thinking out loud, I guess I could maybe route a recess to hold the glass on top then maybe fasten a bezel that's removable around it.... (I'm up for ideas here too, so far, I've always made a box with zero metal in it so no screws. (I've made two more out of Zebrawood for two of my nieces who own horses....Zebrawood looked "earthy" to me)

Anyway, if I have the hand hold on the sides, I'd need to move the clasp so maybe two of them on the long sides

This is my first rendering, thought I'd share to see what ideas may come forth. So far, this is "easily" doable. I always have challenges when I do something like this but this would be my fourth box so hopefully I'm getting less bad!!!

Open to ideas about bezel/glass or alternate locations for handles. How would you cut/route out a nice curved handhold area on the bottom?

Would you use a plywood (a nice one) for the base or as I've done so far, just use the same wood so it's 100% (I'm leaning towards) Walnut.

Also... this might not actually happen until inheritance time or next summer when I can do things outdoors.....but, know that if/when it happens, I'll update the thread so you can maybe see in progress shots then finished project. We might consider it a group effort!!

bOX.jpg

/ Question for you wood workers.... #15  
To retain the glass, route a rabbet from the bottom to set the glass in and then you can either use strips of wood that you tack in place with brads behind the glass, or there are rubber moldings sold at places like Rockler for this and you route a small slot for it to press into above where the glass sits.

And maybe use tempered glass too, though it may be spendy. Ask the glass places what they would recommend. I think there is "double-thick" glass which is stronger than regular but not as pricey as tempered.

/ Question for you wood workers.... #16  
4 sides all dovetailed on ends
before assembly 45 angle of tops of all 4 pieces and 45 angle all 4 sides of top
rabbet the bottom into the sides

Once assembled use a tray on your table saw. raise the blade so it just goes through the sides.
Now you have a box with no way to put anything inside.
Next you have to cut the top off.
the 2 long sides cut on an angle. Lets say, mark the back side about 1" or so
from the top edge, then mark the front side the same 1" but from the bottom.
THis way the 2 sides have an angle cut, angling down.
Next cut the front and back accordingly.

Nail a 1X2 to the tablesaw slide on an angle. You can use the same type of butterfly hinge on the back, out of sight, or a but hinge mortised into the back.

Hopefully this all makes sense. this way when you open the top, the Bible will be mostly exposed.
BTW what version and date of the Bible is it?
Regards, Joe

/ Question for you wood workers.... #17  
I like the idea of the cake carrier with the lift off lid. Lid would have all 4 sides attached to it. Use your walnut for the base, and then a lighter colored wood for the top. I would also dado the edges of the base to capture the top. Base will need to be thicker to support the assembly, the lid could be thinner. Good strong joints are key. I would think about the box base wide enough to allow the bible to stay on the base for viewing.

This thread reminding me of seeing a family bible when I was a young child. Problem is, I don't know whose family bible it was. Our family, or an in-laws family bible. Jon

Someone asked which version? I do not know. I doubt I've opened the cover on this book but maybe 2-4 times ever. It was on a desk at my grandparents house for decades so over 50/60 years, I've always been fearful of "playing" with it (opening it to see what's inside.... I know for example there are death notices in there from older generations)

Size wise, it really is (going from memory) about 10" thick when closed. Maybe 12" x 10" otherwise.

It is a large book. I don't think I'd be able to make a base that would hold it for reading AND hold it as I'm thinking. That said, that might be worth reconsidering. Open the book up, measure and make the base big enough to cover that so it can be left open.

Might be worth asking sister what she thinks. She currently has NO idea of what I'm thinking on doing and I think she'd love the idea.

Making it hold the open book will make the whole thing twice as large and it will be heavy. I think it would then be better suited in a permanant location where the lid could be removed for viewing/reading.

/ Question for you wood workers.... #19  
If there is interest and a spot for permanent display, maybe some type lectern that is wide enough for the book to be opened and read without moving....and of course some type of see-through cover.

Can Lexan be molded or cut & glued?

/ Question for you wood workers.... #20  
Make the 4 sides solid, attached to the top. Make the top with a glass insert, maybe just an inch of wood around the perimeter.
Then, make the bottom to fit in or on the bottom base. Use some fancy brass "pins" on each side to secure the sides to the bottom.
You will be able to see the bible through the top, but easily remove a couple pins, then the whole top and sides lifts off, giving full access.
Good Afternoon Richard,
I really like LS's Idea, especially the glass on top for viewing the Bible ! People looking at a box, even if its beautifully done, do not know whats inside. The glass on top reveals the beautiful Bible !

BTW, if you can build a box as pictured, you are most certainly a wood worker ! ;)