Question for you wood workers....

/ Question for you wood workers.... #21  
Make a thicker base and route a groove into base for the sides to fit into. Or maybe easier, use similar thickness wood as the raised section mentioned earlier but leave the ( groove, channel ) for the lid i.e. sides to drop into. More secure than just raised center

/ Question for you wood workers.... #22  
If you made the box wide, so the bible could be opened up to a significant passage, then when you closed the bible it would easily have enough room on the sides to lift it out of the box.

Doug in SW IA

/ Question for you wood workers....
Been taking all this in.... wonder about it as I might be driving in car for 2-hours to get to destination..... came up with something else....

Who, ME.....over analyze? Pffffffffffffft!!

Imagine the glass top. Personally, I like that touch! Plate glass... some dufas sets a coffee cup on it, might break. Now you have shards of sharp glass you have to figure out and then, how to take box apart to replace said glass. (could use screws...so that's not huge issue)

Instead, use tempered glass....then instead of sharp slices of glass, you have a gazillion bits of glass BUT, should still be easy to clean them out.

Keeps thinking......

Question, does anyone know if you can buy a Sapphire piece of "glass" that would be let's say 12x16 inches? Think of a watch crystal that is sapphire. Very hard, very scratch resistant.....very expensive I'm sure.

For a family heirloom, I don't know that I mind the expense, unless it's stupid crazy.

Been looking online. Actually sent someone a question in their "contact us" link but thus far, crickets. To be fair to them, it was during Christmas Holidays... so might have been lost in shuffle.

Anyone know about special ordering a rectangular piece of sapphire? Something like 1/8" or 3/16's inches thick (I think they go by millimeters though)

/ Question for you wood workers.... #24  
Apple tried getting into sapphire for iPhone screens several years back. The company that was doing it folded as they couldn't make it work at scale for the size needed. I rather doubt you are going to find it. There are much easier options.

Put a thin sheet of lexan below the regular glass so if it breaks, no glass gets in your book. Or just use lexan and skip glass. You can even get coated versions that are a lot more scratch resistant than the basic material, but you aren't likely going to find it at HD. But maybe... Could certainly get that from Mcmaster or other places online, or possibly from local glass shops.

/ Question for you wood workers.... #25  
I would think 1/4" glass would be strong enough, or maybe 1/4" Lexan with regular glass on top. Placed together would be scratch resistant and strong.
You could even have Lexan, a decal in center, then glass.
2024_01_08_03.05.19.jpg

/ Question for you wood workers.... #26  
I'd use glass that prevents sun damage - like used for art works, not plain glass.

/ Question for you wood workers.... #27  
I like this! Make the glass top box and use the drawer pull out on the front to access the Bible. I'd have the pull out flat without any lip on the sides, just the front panel to seal box and a back lip to help hold when pulling out.
I'd go and talk with a glass shop. They'll know what can be gotten and who knows, they might ask a supplier and get a good price do to what you're building. Some of the modern plastics have come a long way also.
Wish you were closer as I've got some 10" - 13" wide walnut that's been air drying for 2 years now. Chainsaw milled them from tree that fell in a storm.
Best of luck with project and look forward to the finished project!

/ Question for you wood workers.... #28  
As for the glass lid, to make it removable, I'd do it like an upside down drawer. On 3 sides I'd have a dado it can slide in and on the back side I'd have the side cut down so the glass can slide into the dado. Then I'd put a strip of wood on that 4th side to hold the glass in place and use Flat Head brass screws to hold the strip in place. You can also use the rubber space balls to hold the glass firmly in place so it doesn't rattle and is still easily removable. And that strip can be routed or not depending on the thickness of the box and your design.

If you want to get really fancy you could put tabs on the sides and wooden pegs to hold the strip.