Questions on an older BX23

/ Questions on an older BX23 #1  

AlCap

Tractor
John Deere 318 , Farmall Cub , Kubota BX23, David Bradley Tri-Trac, David Bradley Super Power David Bradley 600
Hello all , I'm looking at a very clean BX23 , garage kept 1300 hours , with mower deck turf tires . I'm buying from a place where the fellow buys trade ins from dealers and auctions ect . He buys the really cleans ones , goes over them ,fluid changes ect , I don't mind paying a premium for a machine like this one. What I have now is an old 3400 Ford utility that the PO installed an old Pippin backhoe and a Power King with fel . They have worked well for my uses at the old place but I'm tired of every time wanting to use the Ford I end up spending more time getting it running and fixing it then using it . The PK is handy and do use it a lot but it's manual steering and trans . We moved to a new place over the summer , flatter but the grounds wetter vs the old place was all shale and you wouldn't hardly leave tire tracks in the rain lol . Pretty sure the Ford wouldn't be able to get in a lot of places in the lawn .Getting the BX would be a major upgrade for me for how I'll use it for the landscaping , as a back-up mower is also a plus . Now with the questions , I see the newer BXs have a slightly different shaped hoe . I would be putting a mechanical thumb for doing small jobs around the house , does having a straight boom cause any issue ? On one hand ag tires might be better in mud/dirt but hoping the turfs wouldn't damage the lawn as much ? He said the will dig but not like the Ford but for my uses it should be fine , I think lol Anything on a BX 23 that might be a red flag ? Thanks AL

/ Questions on an older BX23 #2  
Stay with the turf tires until they are worn out.

To change to R1/ag tires you will need to buy new rims as well as new tires. Unlike replacing one worn turf tire, you cannot do the conversion from R3/turfs to R1/ags one wheel at a time. The tire patch in ground contact is so small on BX tractors I do not believe R1s will give you a noticeable increase in traction over R3s. Others with more BX tire experience than I may differ.

In 2-WD it is difficult for me to imagine R1/ag tires damaging turf on such a light platform, so long as you mow when soil is reasonably dry.

If you elect to change, consider Bar-Turfs.
VIDEO: Tested | Surprising traction differences between R4 \\ R14 \\ Bar-Turf - YouTube

BX23 was produced for two years, 2004 - 2005.

Last edited:
   / Questions on an older BX23
Looks like it's still a go on the BX23 , talked with the guy who owns the place yesterday and will be getting later in the week . I did some reading here on TBN and most spoke positive about the BX series . The BX25s seem like a very nice machine but this used 23 should do me well . Ordered a Titian bolt on thumb , already have some landscaping in mind .

/ Questions on an older BX23 #4  
Get it. Great tractor. I have the BX 25 and I love it. It also has the steel hood, unlike the BX 24, which was plastic. My 25 is also steel.

Just make sure you look underneath at the HST cooling fan to make sure it is still intact, and then get a nice steel plate to put tact it. There are several companies that make them.

/ Questions on an older BX23 #5  
Verify the rear differential lock works too. I bought my BX23 used and the rear diff lock was broken, but I didn't realize it because honestly at the time I'd never heard of one breaking.

I lived without it just fine for four years, but if the problem is internal and the pins have sheared, it's possible for that to lead to big problems.

/ Questions on an older BX23 #6  
When I decided to get a BX, as a little swiss army knife, it was an eye opening experience. The BX holds its value well and are quite spendy. I found that many people went to great lengths to 'show' a 'perfect' tractor. Surprising amount of 'lipstick on a pig', units. An equal number of folks showed me a filthy, rattling, torn seat version. Nearly all advertised or said when I called, 'Excellent' condition. They seem like a used Mercedes, either immaculately maintained, or used until replaced.

Mine was advertised as, Low hours, well maintained, garage kept, excellent condition. reality - 850 hours, oil was dark but not smelly, hyd fluid was translucent no smells (a little low about 2 qts), plenty of grease to go around, a little rust around excavator bushings/pivots, low worn front tires, steering rubbers torn, deck was stuck in travel position (there was a Big new Cub ZT in the corner), battery needed jumped, otherwise looked like it spent time follicking in a pigs pen (badge of honor to some tractor folks :laughing:)

None of this is to dissuade you, just things I found in the 3 month process of looking for one. I planned to do a full service, as well as a complete cleanup, including polishing all painted surfaces, adding belly armour, wheel spacers, larger/longer foot pads, and greasing everything. Actually spent its first week or so, being cleaned and serviced.

None of these are necessarily show stoppers, for example mine may have seen a water hose, but was never fully washed, has a wacky POS fuel gauge, apparently excess grease was never wiped off, excavator was under serviced (but rarely used as bucket had almost all original paint), but, you know, well maintained, Excellent Condition.

Make sure seat works smoothly.
Look at rubber covers on front steering, often torn
Fuel gauge, is it working at all or even somewhat accurate
Front tire wear and plugs, I found new r4's with rim, that were take offs by someone changing to r3's, at dealer, both 100 bucks
Deck should raise/lower smoothly, including up to 'travel' position
Check deck spindles/belts
Look for ill/gapped panels in operator station. Often issue with Hyd, require tear apart and when reassembled someone rushed.
Battery condition and connections.
Adj knob for 3PH speed
Do you have the complete 3PH kit
Look at every zerk you can, especially under the floor, the loader pivot/arms, and big time the excavator, ain't dirty, ain't used
excavator bushings should be very tight and get worn quick sans lube
does it have both excavator locks
Any service records?, fluids add a big expense if you do a full service when you buy it.
Consider adding a proper fuel/water separator
Consider adding Wheel Spacers
Consider adding larger foot pads on excavator stabilizers
Consider adding belly pans to protect precious hydro fan
Damp/oily hose spots, fittings where obvious dirt has collected to slight leaks
Any oil on chrome hyd, especially bucket ram and anything on excavator
Smell the oil, engine oil slight diesel smell, normal, hydraulic fluid clear/translucent, no funny burnt smells.
Are glow plugs functioning

Might be more, but I think you get the picture. :p

Good luck and enjoy..........

Max

Last edited:
   / Questions on an older BX23 #7  
Great little machines, and if you need more traction, just get a set of chains. If you do go with the Ag tires, they will fit your BX23 rims, unlike the larger tractors, the BX uses the same rims for turfs, R1s and R4s.

/ Questions on an older BX23
The tractor got delivered last night late and was already getting dark before I brought it inside , I'm a little disappointed when I looked at it doesn't look like it was greased , it was supposed to have been fully serviced before being delivered so tonight I'm going to have to go around the whole machine to see what was done. That was the first time my wife saw it , looked at it then turned to me " I never saw a backhoe that small , you better not complain! " I've heard those words before LOL , I'll get some pictures but it just a plan old BX23 , Al

/ Questions on an older BX23 #9  
Congratulations on the acquisition. Enjoy.

/ Questions on an older BX23 #10  
MY BX23 came with Ags, and it took me a while to figure some lawn things out....

For a mower, it can be very heavy, so I plan my year and changeovers, and the loader AND backhoe come off for lawn service.

I also went on and bought turf tires for dealer as Whole Goods - which means sales side options - priced as though competing for sales with those green guys? Anyway, very cheap for 4 tires and wheels ready to go. This is also part of my changeover now.

I came to realize my Ags were compacting my lawn, and my turns were wearing the lawn at the ends/corners.
So I cut the long way, 'Y' a bit at the end in a band the wife cuts to minimize scrubbing, back a line, and make real u-turns in the driveway. when I need to.

I have also slowly learned that the Backhoe and Loader are both less useful without the other - the tractor needs the counter weight on the other end for all the tasks to just work right.

I now have seasonal modes and configure for each, and plan out that season's tasks.
Winter Ags BH on FEL on mower off in case of snow clearance
Spring Ags BH on FEL on mower on for 'bush-hog' effect at rental woods, and bailing myself out when stuck
Summer Turf BH off FEL off mower on leaf catcher off will mulch enough for grass
Fall Turf BH off FEL off mower on leaf catcher on until rinse and repeat

BUY (at least read) THE OBER BOOK

https://www.amazon.com/Operating-te...77MZN0WE2FY&psc=1&refRID=9YDPN9JS277MZN0WE2FY

It will save you days of stuck, days of reading, and us days of trying to explain something without pictures.

Last edited: