Quick high-tensile fence repair

/ Quick high-tensile fence repair #11  
Since there are nearby strainers, likely, some excess wire can be unwound from the strainer, the wire then tied together, then the fence re-tightened.

Splices for High Tensile Smooth Fencing Wire « Informed Farmers

The above link gives information on splicing. I highly recommend the figure 8 knot. If you use it and tighten the wire, then you have done as good a job as the owners would. Possible exception is that a slack wire can get caught somewhere along the fence and not pull tight again. You would need to walk/drive the entire fence to assure that the wire is in its correct position all the way.

/ Quick high-tensile fence repair #12  
The above link gives information on splicing. I highly recommend the figure 8 knot. If you use it and tighten the wire, then you have done as good a job as the owners would.

Call me a nit-picker, but I don't like the knots, and always use the swage sleeves. They're stronger than the wire, so there is no reduction in strength, and they are a lot neater, with no cut ends of the wire sticking out to snag. I say, "call me a nit-picker," because in all honesty, these things hardly matter on a day-to-day basis, but still, that's how I like it. If somebody did me the favor of fixing my fence with a figure-8 knot, I would thank them graciously and then go back and cut out the knot and put in a swage once they were gone. The story would be different if there were animals in the field, but given that there is not an imminent risk of escape, why the pressure to fix the fence immediately vs. just letting the landowner know of the issue?

/ Quick high-tensile fence repair #13  
Nit-picker. (you said it first:thumbsup:)
The OP is a good hearted neighbor who wants to do a favor. A knot is within his capability and the cost is right since a strainer is available.
The sleeves are some expense and the tool is about $60 and requires a town trip and purchase.

That said, I well understand what you say about loose ends, etc....nevertheless, I use figure eight knots on my fences. And, yes, if the repair were more complex than a simple break, I'd be for sure suggesting that the owner do the repair...their way...I've discovered that nobody does a fence repair MY way and I always have to go back and re do it.

/ Quick high-tensile fence repair #14  
The sleeves are some expense and the tool is about $60 and requires a town trip and purchase.

Right! Which is why you should come tell me about the break, because I already have those things! :confused2:

I've discovered that nobody does a fence repair MY way and I always have to go back and re do it.

Nit-picker! :laughing:

/ Quick high-tensile fence repair #15  
Call me a nit-picker, but I don't like the knots, and always use the swage sleeves. They're stronger than the wire, so there is no reduction in strength, and they are a lot neater, with no cut ends of the wire sticking out to snag. I say, "call me a nit-picker," because in all honesty, these things hardly matter on a day-to-day basis, but still, that's how I like it. If somebody did me the favor of fixing my fence with a figure-8 knot, I would thank them graciously and then go back and cut out the knot and put in a swage once they were gone. The story would be different if there were animals in the field, but given that there is not an imminent risk of escape, why the pressure to fix the fence immediately vs. just letting the landowner know of the issue?

Okay.. nit-picker.. :laughing: Lou

/ Quick high-tensile fence repair #16  
RobA said:
My neighbor's high-tensile fence broke in 2 spots along my driveway. The breaks are far away from their house and I am sure they don't even know about it. The have cattle but are never near this section of fence. I wouldn't mind fixing it for them but I have no experience with something like this. Any thoughts on how I can splice the broken wires together? Do they make kits for this?

Can you be my neighbor? I am like you but my neighbor is the opposite. Can't figure out people like that.

/ Quick high-tensile fence repair #17  
Heck, I have been just tying the wire together. The wire is to keep the deer out of the garden so the knot is good enough. I did not know about the sleeves. Dang it, I am not a nit picker, but now I have to get sleeves and the tool. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Thanks, I think. :D:D:D
Dan

/ Quick high-tensile fence repair #18  
Heck, I have been just tying the wire together. The wire is to keep the deer out of the garden so the knot is good enough. I did not know about the sleeves. Dang it, I am not a nit picker, but now I have to get sleeves and the tool. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Thanks, I think. :D:D:D
Dan

Tractor Supply.. for about 50 dollars for both pieces, crimper and hand full of sleeves, maybe a little more than a handful,, stretcher are extra,, about 30 dollars I think,, Lou

/ Quick high-tensile fence repair #19  
Tractor Supply.. for about 50 dollars for both pieces, crimper and hand full of sleeves, maybe a little more than a handful,, stretcher are extra,, about 30 dollars I think,, Lou

I will try my local farm store and see if he has the stuff. I bought my HT wire and such from him. If he does not have it, off to Tractor Supply. :laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ Quick high-tensile fence repair #20  
I grew up farming pole beans. The top wire had to be strong and was under a lot of tension. Of course the rows always ended up different lengths and we used the same wire for years, so we just used an okie binder splice. If you were careful to trim the ends of the splice, you wouldn't even lose much flesh and blood when you wound it up at the end of the season. In those days we used a PTO power spool with no safety measures at all, so that wasn't a minor consideration.