Quick high-tensile fence repair

/ Quick high-tensile fence repair #21  
If you only need a few quick splices or repairs, the gripple is a quick cheap solution. These should be around locally. I've seen these hold when a tree falls and breaks the wire somewhere else. Gripple 1 Each

/ Quick high-tensile fence repair #22  
Don't forget to stock up on wire strainers and a handle.

I will try my local farm store and see if he has the stuff. I bought my HT wire and such from him. If he does not have it, off to Tractor Supply. :laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ Quick high-tensile fence repair #23  
Don't forget to stock up on wire strainers and a handle.

If you wrap your strainer handle in several layers of electrical tape, then you can adjust the tension out in the field without having to de-energize the fence.

/ Quick high-tensile fence repair #24  
joshuabardwell said:
If you wrap your strainer handle in several layers of electrical tape, then you can adjust the tension out in the field without having to de-energize the fence.

Wearing Muck boots works too, usually that is. :)

image-210386172.jpg

My new charger came with a fault finder / remote control. I can turn the power off from anywhere along the line by touching the remote to the wire and holding down the button. It is pretty cool and very handy!

/ Quick high-tensile fence repair #25  
Wearing Muck boots works too, usually that is. :)

I have not found that to be the case. I wear muck-boots all the time, and I can't tell you how often I have been shocked by my fence.

My new charger came with a fault finder / remote control. I can turn the power off from anywhere along the line by touching the remote to the wire and holding down the button. It is pretty cool and very handy!

Is it a Speedrite? I ask because, as far as I know, they're the only ones who have that remote on/off function. I would really love to find someone who made an external box that you plugged the energizer into that would add remote on/off to the fence after the fact. As much as I would like that feature, I can't justify buying a whole new Speedrite energizer just to get it.

/ Quick high-tensile fence repair #26  
It is a Stafix. The same company, TRU-TEST makes or owns both brands. I had the older model with out the remote but the charger stopped working. I sent it off to be fixed locally but had to have one in the mean time so I upgraded. Now I have a spare.

Which Mucks are you wearing? I buy the green ones with the orange inside. The name slips my mind at the moment.
I have never received a full power shock with them on and my fence is HOT. Dad always said "It brings a tear to their eye and their knees to the ground"

/ Quick high-tensile fence repair #27  
If you use an electric fence charger, you need a Smartfix fence tester, by Gallagher. Saves sooooooooooooo much time figuring out where a fence problem is and where to look for the problem. Yes, costs $ but saves soooooooooooooooo much time it's worth it.

It tells you
Voltage on fence
Amps being delivered by fence
Direction of flow of amps.

Using it, you don't have to cut the fence off .... it leads you directly to the short/broken wire....then you can turn fence off (if needed) once and fix it.

Wish I had discovered it years sooner....cuts hours off of my fence fix time...There are some other brands, but be sure to get one that shows voltage, amps, and direction of flow.....those 5 light testers I used for years are stone age compared to the Smartfix.

Just FYI....nobody asked....but you need to know.

/ Quick high-tensile fence repair #28  
texasjohn said:
...It tells you
Voltage on fence

Using it, you don't have to cut the fence off .... it leads you directly to the short/broken wire....then you can turn fence off (if needed) once and fix it.

Thats the way my old one worked, you are right it is a time saver.

The new one does all that plus cuts the power on/off from anywhere on the fence.

/ Quick high-tensile fence repair #29  
Which Mucks are you wearing? I buy the green ones with the orange inside. The name slips my mind at the moment.
I have never received a full power shock with them on and my fence is HOT. Dad always said "It brings a tear to their eye and their knees to the ground"

To tell you the truth, they are pull-on galoshes, but not Muck brand. I was using the phrase more generically, which, it seems, may make a difference.

/ Quick high-tensile fence repair #30  
If you use an electric fence charger, you need a Smartfix fence tester, by Gallagher. Saves sooooooooooooo much time figuring out where a fence problem is and where to look for the problem. Yes, costs $ but saves soooooooooooooooo much time it's worth it.

Yes, yes, yes a thousand times yes. If your fence tester does not tell you amps and direction of current flow, you are missing out. It costs maybe $120, but it will more than make it up with the number of hours you don't have to spend walking the fence looking and looking for where the short is. I wrote a blog post some time ago about the difference between different kinds of fence testers. Here's a link:

Electric Fence Testing Meters | Jack-Booted Liberal

The short version is that, with a "fault-finder" tester that shows amp direction, you can simply "follow the arrow" to the location of the short. Just keep walking until the current flow changes direction, and then you know you passed the short. Otherwise, it's just trial and error. I honestly do not know how people maintained electric fences without these.