Quick Oil Change Shops (Cars)

/ Quick Oil Change Shops (Cars) #41  
I have the local GMC dealer change mine, I bring my own oil, filter and grease gun (AMSOIL 100% Synthetic Oil). Only charge $20 for this.....I use to be able to do this but getting old and don't want to crawl under the vehicle. I always change oil once a year or 15,000 miles. Never sooner, done it this way for over 40 yrs.

/ Quick Oil Change Shops (Cars) #42  
All said and done, you need to do whatever will make you comfortable.
I have used the quick lube shops a few times, have never been impressed.
I have had a few vehicles with ridiculously difficult filters to change,
one that comes to mind was a Suzuki Grand Vitara the filer was on the front of the V6,
you couldn't see it and the clearances to the radiators was so tight you couldn't get your hand down to and on it.
I ended up slotting the mounting holes for the AC condenser so it was easier to tilt up out of the way,
the quick lube place worked on it for well over an hour the one time I had them do it.
And as far as having the dealer do it that can be a total fiasco, my eco diesel at one time only had a couple of approved oils,
the dealership used the wrong oil in it. That same dealership which had included 3 free oil changes in the purchase granted me 4
more for their screwup, they are an hours drive from me so I had a few done with them got ready to do one myself had to get out
the impact wrench to remove the drain plug, ended up buying a new plug as the washer gasket was not available separately,
of course it wasn't in stock so I dug thru my stuff and found a copper/rubber sealing washer to fit, the new plug is still in the glove box.
So dealerships can screw up as much as the quick lubes,
so either do it yourself or watch and verify damned carefully.