/ Quickfencer video, website and all sorts of ideas on fencing #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=723634891065427

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grdd5JnEfFw

quickfencerusa

I came across this video on Facebook this morning and wanted to share it with everyone. I've been playing around with ideas on how to build a small trailer that I could unroll goat fence on, then be able to modify it to unroll deer fencing. After seeing this video and several others, I'm not thinking that I should make something that attaches to my front loader with the arms going off to the side. Seems pretty simple now that I've seen it working on the videos.

Anybody ever done anything like this? Your thoughts, pros and cons?

Eddie

/ Quickfencer video, website and all sorts of ideas on fencing #2  
Ingenious! One concern would be a safeguard to prevent the end of the wire and fence from running off the reel or spindle, especially the barbed wire. That could be quite a mess not to mention the possibility of injury.

/ Quickfencer video, website and all sorts of ideas on fencing #3  
nice!.. now - how to go back in time and reclaim my youth putting up fences by hand.

/ Quickfencer video, website and all sorts of ideas on fencing
I was wondering about how they end a roll. I'm guessing you need to stop just before you get to the end of the roll and anchor it before splicing it to the next roll. I guess it's the same with any other method, just more likely to create a mess if you are not paying attention this way.

Eddie

/ Quickfencer video, website and all sorts of ideas on fencing #5  
I have one that we built in our shop about 1 year ago. I have some pictures somewhere.... I will try and find them.

Ours is built to be used on the forks and will handle 660' rolls up to 49" high. It's built with a offset arm that allows you to drive forward and unroll. It's the easiest thing that I have ever used to roll out fence.

We also built in a clamp for stretching the wire. When used on our 50 HP tractor, it does put a lot of side force on the loader. It's not a problem when used on our skid steer (LS 190).

I would suggest you build one. It just simply makes the entire job of putting up fence easier.

/ Quickfencer video, website and all sorts of ideas on fencing #6  
I use this unroller:
Wire Fence Stretcher/Unroller - Tarter Farm & Ranch

I got it at Tractor Supply years ago for not a lot of money, although now they're up around $400. It's great for unrolling fence, I can unroll a 330' roll in a few minutes. The problem is that the fence needs to be tensioned (and I didn't see them doing this in the video). The instructions say to lock the unroller and drive forward with the tractor. What I've found with woven wire is that the top and bottom never need to be tensioned exactly the same amount. The first time I used it I pulled the corner post out trying to get the bottom tight while the top was already past tight enough.

I find the only way to get the fence properly tight is to use a fence stretcher and two come-alongs, one on the top and one on the bottom. The unroller is nice in that I can drive about 5-10 feet past the corner post and use the unroller as an anchor to attach the come-alongs to. So it's easier than rolling the fence out by hand, and it's a **** of a lot easier than the way that Red Brand recommends, which is digging a temporary post to use as an anchor for tensioning. But the fantasy of putting up thousands of feet of fence and never leaving your seat is just that, a fantasy.

My experience is that properly tensioning the fence is the most important step to a good fence. Well, that and good corners.

The 1000-meter rolls look good, he's got a real point that splicing fence is a time suck. The 100-meter rolls are about 200 lbs, so anything bigger means your committing to never moving the rolls by hand, which has its pluses and minuses.

It looks like he's using an SDS drill with a staple driver, that seems pretty slick. I think if I were making an all-in-one fencing machine it would have post driver on the front, fence unroller on the back, and a generator somewhere to run saws and drills for making braces. Maybe a compressor too.

/ Quickfencer video, website and all sorts of ideas on fencing #7  
Google images and YouTube have lots of fence unrollers, commercial and homemade.

But the one that interested me (which I can't find now) hung a foot or two out from one side of the loader bucket. The advantage was that you could put the wire on either side of a post. Especially good with a fence taking a zig-zag route through obstacles.

Bruce

/ Quickfencer video, website and all sorts of ideas on fencing #8  
I saw that on facebook the other day. looks cool, good if you are building in open space like that. most of the fences i've built you can't even get a tractor to the fenceline.

/ Quickfencer video, website and all sorts of ideas on fencing #9  
I saw that on facebook the other day. looks cool, good if you are building in open space like that. most of the fences i've built you can't even get a tractor to the fenceline.

That's the truth.

/ Quickfencer video, website and all sorts of ideas on fencing #10  
Makes unrolling barbwire with a lawn mower handle look pretty bad, but it was better than by hand.