Quickie log-drag, (paper-thin MIG weld)

/ Quickie log-drag, (paper-thin MIG weld) #11  
Sodo
You certainly are creative in your projects. Keep up the good work.

/ Quickie log-drag, (paper-thin MIG weld) #12  
That paper thin 120vol MIG weld was the absolute right tool for that job.:thumbsup:

/ Quickie log-drag, (paper-thin MIG weld) #13  
I use to use a Chevrolet truck hood from a 67 to 72 for skidding scrap cars onto my trailer back in the day. Surprising how much weight it would handle and it lived through loading many cars and trucks.

/ Quickie log-drag, (paper-thin MIG weld)
Thanks Professor, glad to hear members are interested. I get a lot of ideas from how other folks get'er done hope to return the favors. James I'm glad I haven't got my TIG going yet or I'da been tempted!

I've been watching for a hood from pre-70s but nothing popped up. The gravel cut slits in this Hyundai hood, it's a lightweight unit for sure. It's so wrinkled now that it pulls hard, and may be about as bad as no drag at all in tearing up the driveway. Do need to keep rocks from embedding in the logs because I'm planning to saw them up.

/ Quickie log-drag, (paper-thin MIG weld) #15  
Nice job MacGyver... I am mean Sodo.

/ Quickie log-drag, (paper-thin MIG weld) #16  
Yeah, get a hood of a 50 dodge or something like that. It would probably last a long time if you could find one. The metal on those things was pretty thick.

/ Quickie log-drag, (paper-thin MIG weld) #17  
Thanks for answering Sodo. I'm not standing by my log right now, but in my mind it's about 4' diameter and 15' long. The idea of trying to cut it up with my 18" chainsaw makes me more than a little nervous. I don't think I have the experience to do it without killing myself.

xtn

/ Quickie log-drag, (paper-thin MIG weld) #19  
I'm curious, would your FEL not lift one end of the log at a time? Lift one end, slide the dolly under, move to the other end and then drive home backwards. Those welds are impressive though, not as easy as it looks to weld a relatively think chain to very thin sheet metal without burning holes, nice job.

/ Quickie log-drag, (paper-thin MIG weld)
Was not possible to lift with the FEL. ~22 inch log 17 ft long weighs appx ~2400 lbs. Kubota's LA402 lifts about 900 lbs (402kg * 2.2 = 884 lbs ) 316 lbs less than half the log. I'll do some testing with the 3-pt, (rated 1,655lbs). That quickie log drag is "done" after 3 logs, the "sliding surface" is wrinkled like crumpled tinfoil, a "gripping surface" now. Gravel piles up in front of it now when pulling. I'm still on the lookout for some old American iron.

Yep 3/16 chain link isn't much to "shelter" the paper thin sheet next to it but it was OK as you can see. Versatility is why a MIG is such a great tool to have around. That was much faster than drilling/bolting and I bet much stronger too.