Quickie log-drag, (paper-thin MIG weld)

/ Quickie log-drag, (paper-thin MIG weld)
Bruce, as usual you come thru with great links! The biggest problem with using a car hood from american iron is that it's 4 feet square (or bigger) and you have to store it, move it around. I need it to be about 2 feet square and you're right it's easy to make (or buy). Thx for the examples!

I should have left that Hyundai hood where I found it and just bought a sheet of steel at that moment.

/ Quickie log-drag, (paper-thin MIG weld)
Having a new-ish Kubota seems like such good eqpt to have around (even if it's compact,,,,)

1893 photo is humbling - nothing as small as 22". Could be a "joke" photo, with just 2 horses (instead of a team). Still hard to believe that could be moved with "straw".

Loggingwhitepinelogsled4ca1893_thumb.gif

/ Quickie log-drag, (paper-thin MIG weld) #24  
Having a new-ish Kubota seems like such good eqpt to have around (even if it's compact,,,,)

1893 photo is humbling - nothing as small as 22". Could be a "joke" photo, with just 2 horses (instead of a team). Still hard to believe that could be moved with "straw".

View attachment 397178

No, they'd use a couple of horses (four at the most) if the grade was accommodating. Loads like this were carried for short distances (quarter mile or less) until they were loaded into a near by river. Loggers back then would vie for world record hauls at the expense of the animals.

/ Quickie log-drag, (paper-thin MIG weld) #25  
holy cow! I hope they could stop the sled before it ran over the horses.

/ Quickie log-drag, (paper-thin MIG weld) #27  
Cool pic!

Terry

/ Quickie log-drag, (paper-thin MIG weld) #28  
My grand dad was a logger back then - if the rest were as mean as that old bastard, they probably ate horse burgers and laughed about it afterward... Steve

/ Quickie log-drag, (paper-thin MIG weld) #29  
That's a cool picture, but I don't believe it was done with only two horses.
Babe the Blue OX could have done it, though. :D

/ Quickie log-drag, (paper-thin MIG weld) #30  
Let's do a little calculation... lot's of assumptions here but for fun...

2ft diameter by 16ft long Douglas fir fresh cut logs. 50cu.ft. x 38lb/cu.ft. = 1900lb... lets say 2000lb. (Oak or most other wet wood much heavier) x 50 logs = 100,000lbs.

Now the sled, let's assume wooden skis. Coefficient of sliding friction (let's forget about static friction) is .05 (wood on ice) so the pulling force is 100,000lb x .05 = 5000lb. This is where I get stuck because I am not a horse expert. Quickly looking around on the web for info I see that a horse might be able to pull half its weight if it is on large wheels. On a sled, no clue but even if it can pull more than its weight, I have a real hard time thinking it can pull 50 times its weight (assuming two horses at 1000lb each) on snow.

Looking forward to others numbers here :D

Me thinks Babe was not your normal size horse shown in pic! :laughing: