R1 or R4 suggestions for me

/ R1 or R4 suggestions for me #11  
I think Mike is right about puncture resistance and number of plys and all that with R4's. But, if youre' going to be pulling logs, etc in wet conditions, I still think traction is going to be the big issue.

Also, I cleared over two acres of planted pines, including all stumps, rocks and brush, down to the dirt with my L4400 4wd. The R1's are cut up in places. But I've never had a puncture. No missing chunks or anything. This is the 'after' picture:

22347DSC1980-med.jpg

The before looked just like those pines in the left side of the picture. Now it can be mowed with a light duty cutter and can be plowed and disked too. My point is, this was extreme duty and the R1's held up just fine.

/ R1 or R4 suggestions for me
You might want to try running chains on the fronts. There cheaper than the larger rear chains and that might be enough to get you around.

I'm glad to hear you are going with the R1's. They will way out perform the R4's in your application.

Sincerely, Dirt

Excellent point with the front tire chains. Thanks. If anyone is curious what my driveway is like in the winter check out my You Tube video. Search for "loadedandunlocked" . It is the video titled "Icy driveway"

I think Mike is right about puncture resistance and number of plys and all that with R4's. But, if youre' going to be pulling logs, etc in wet conditions, I still think traction is going to be the big issue.

Also, I cleared over two acres of planted pines, including all stumps, rocks and brush, down to the dirt with my L4400 4wd. The R1's are cut up in places. But I've never had a puncture. No missing chunks or anything. This is the 'after' picture:

22347DSC1980-med.jpg

The before looked just like those pines in the left side of the picture. Now it can be mowed with a light duty cutter and can be plowed and disked too. My point is, this was extreme duty and the R1's held up just fine.

Nice tractor...I checked out the L4400 and Kioti DK45S. Went with the Kioti for extra weight and slower travel speed after months of trying to make up my mind! I hope I made the right choice.

/ R1 or R4 suggestions for me #15  
I've plowed miles and miles of driveways and roads over the last 40 years and never once had to go with chains. For about 15 years I plowed a 1/4 mile drive up a very steep hill. I run 8 ply R1's and also have never had an issue with durability typically getting 12-14 years from a set left outside uncover all the time. A lot of time is spent in the woods.

Andy

/ R1 or R4 suggestions for me #16  
I've only heard of clearance issues with R4s, not R1s. You'll probably want the tires set in a wider than average position anyway, for more stability. Start with R1s and you might not need chains.
I have a similar situation as Andy, 1/4 mile drive on a slope. Mostly gravel with some concrete. No issue plowing with snow or ice using R1s and no chains. It's easy to add chains later if you need them.

/ R1 or R4 suggestions for me #17  
R1's all the way. I do the same type of work as you and I could not get around with R4's. I have never need chains with 4 wheel drive and my Jinma 254. It will go through 2 to 3 feet drifts no problem with R1's.

Chris

Just for clarification purposes, the issue with clearance is between the rear tire and fender, not ground clearance. How much room should I allow between the fender? I would hate to dig out my reciprocating saw to customize the fenders.

/ R1 or R4 suggestions for me #19  
I am signing papers today on a new tractor after much research and consideration. The only issue I have now before signing is the tires. I was going to get the R1 ags for better traction but was discouraged because of the limited space between the rear tires and fenders. I will be using chains at some point (probably this winter). There is more room for chains on the R4 industrial tires. I may need to compromise somewhere. Does anyone have suggestions on tires? I will be using the tractor mostly in my wood lot with a forestry winch. Other important applications for me include driveway grading and moving snow around. I understand that the R4s put more rubber to the ground but as I said, most of the time the tractor will be in the woods with some wet areas. help.

I have R1's and been in some pretty big snows, wet, dry, icy and never needed chains. In fact have only lost traction one time when pushing a lot of heavy icy snow and going up a step hill.

/ R1 or R4 suggestions for me #20  
Just for clarification purposes, the issue with clearance is between the rear tire and fender, not ground clearance. How much room should I allow between the fender? I would hate to dig out my reciprocating saw to customize the fenders.

What kind of tractor?
Can wheel spacers be used?
Adjustments on rear axel?
DGS