Radio installation in a MF 1600 series

/ Radio installation in a MF 1600 series #11  
After searching and finding little on how to install a radio in a MF Cab tractor, I set out to be able to listen to my new radio in the tractor while mowing around my orchard.

My initial plan was to install a radio into my MF 1635 by removing the headliner and mounting the stereo. That was quickly changed when I actually started to try and remove the headliner. It quickly became evident that removing the headliner was not possible, but the real solution was to go in thru the top, by removing the roof of the cab. I removed the five screws from the inside of the cab and four on the back of the cab from the air inlet. I latter surmised that the four on the back could have been left on and would have acted as a hinge for the top. You also need to remove the two screw clips from the top- middle of the headliner as these go into the roof of the cab.

Once the top was open, the job got much easier. I set the new stereo (a nice Pioneer unit from Walmart for $118) into the bracket and marked the position of where it should set to get the correct placement of the faceplate so that the trim ring would fit properly. The bracket was removed to screw the stereo onto the bracket (four #10 x 1/2" sheet metal screws), then replaced the bracket into its original position.

Since I was originally planning on removing the headliner I bought an antenna from Crutchfield that stuck onto the inside of the windshield. I ended up sticking it onto the rear glass and grounding the power amp that was built into the antenna on the rear wiper motor. Had I known removing the top of the cab was that easy, I probably would have used a conventional antenna and mounted it in the side of the cab where the hole is provided.

I made all of the electrical connections using wire splice taps, which left the original connectors in place which were already prewired to the speakers. One of the connectors had battery, battery on when the ignition was on, and ground; the other connector had the four speaker wires.

When I got it all back together it sounded good and looked great. I hope this helps anyone that is going to do a radio install or has to work on the AC or heater in the future.

2012-06-02124043.jpg

2012-06-02124130.jpg
2012-06-02152859.jpg
2012-06-02180958.jpg
2012-06-02192811.jpg

Thank you for this post I just got my 1635 in December and this was very helpful in the installation of the radio. The only item I have left is the antenna. I purchased one of the universal car mount antenna's from the local auto parts store. The only issue is I see that there is a pre drilled hole in the up right of the cab on the left side if you are sitting in it. This support tube goes up and you can run the cable in the support. However the antenna I got has the cord come out through the bottom of the antenna and this would require drilling another hole in the fender. Is this really where Massey intended the antenna to go? If not where are others mounting them? I am tempted to go back and get that same window mount like you have.
Thanks
Bob

/ Radio installation in a MF 1600 series
I'm glad that it was helpful, as for the antenna, you can get a side mount models that could use the side hole, I definitely wouldn't drill a new hole if I didn't need to. I really haven't used the antenna much since I got a small USB drive to use in the tractor with MP3's, but when I do use the radio, the windshied mount antenna works great.

/ Radio installation in a MF 1600 series #13  
Bobbo, the antenna mounts in the lower part of the cab pillar just above the fender. Pull the inner left plastic cover off the pilar, and you will see the nut that holds the plug in.

See pic.
MF1600antennalocation_zps15fc12cb.jpg

:)

Last edited:
MF1600antennalocation_zps15fc12cb.jpg

Will,

Seriously, you need to give your tractor a bath.. :laughing:

/ Radio installation in a MF 1600 series #16  
Hey droptop,

Was the gold plug for the speakers? Going to tackle this weekend.

The speakers were the connector with the four wires. Once the top is open its easy to see what is what.

Are you using the side hole for a standard antenna?

Pictures please.

/ Radio installation in a MF 1600 series #18  
Got it installed, was a piece of cake. It was harder getting the roof bolted back down than anything else.

1635RadioRoofFull3_zpsce9d3087.jpg

Bought a universal antenna, and used the factory antenna hole.

1635RadioAntennafull2_zps37022f3a.jpg

Sony Xplod, final product!!

1635Radio1_zpsb508c7a8.jpg

The OEM speakers sound pretty good, nice and clear.

Looks good. If I ever have any problems with the windshield mount antenna, I'll probably get a side mount like you have.

Having tunes in the cab makes the time go faster :cool:

/ Radio installation in a MF 1600 series #20  
The antenna was a universal swivel one that I bought from Carquest, $14.95. Also needed an antenna cable extender, as that was too short. Sounds and works great. :)