Raising a barn

/ Raising a barn #11  
Without doors about $15k.

Gotcha. I'll have to see what the barn builder says but it'll probably be a lot more for something your size.

I've also seen people use carports for hay. I found a 30'x50' carport from carport.com for under $ 7.4k assembled. I checked other sizes and it's about $4-5 per square foot. I wonder how they'd stand up with a foot or two of snow on them though. They might be too flimsy.

/ Raising a barn
Just an update; I have the trusses up and am nailing up the perlins (spelling ?) over the next couple days.
Here is a picture of the trusses ready to raise.
DSCN2191.jpg
Note the pre drilled holes for bolting. Much easier to drill flat on the ground.
DSCN2192.jpg
Note the stringer board which becomes the first perlin, and the brace under the truss.
DSCN2196.jpg
Trusses in place.
DSCN2242.jpg

Last edited:
   / Raising a barn
This is really cool! I got a quote from a barn builder in Payson yesterday and they said they could do a 24x60 fully enclosed barn for about $17k. I'd probably want something a little bigger like yours for all my hay and tractors though.

I've never built anything like a barn before but I'm pretty handy. I'll definitely watch this thread and hopefully I'll think "I could build that" and do it myself.

Just out of curiosity, how much do you think you'll spend in materials for the project?

I think the 60' long is a good length but 24' wide is not enough for farm equipment for sure. That price does sound reasonable. I think I would look into about 36' wide at a minimum.

/ Raising a barn #15  
Looks like you guys are having a lot of fun up there on those lifts!!!!!

/ Raising a barn #17  
I think the 60' long is a good length but 24' wide is not enough for farm equipment for sure. That price does sound reasonable. I think I would look into about 36' wide at a minimum.

Yeah, I've been looking around and trying to price something like this. I've looked into steel arch buildings but hear a lot of mixed reviews about those. The thing is you need to pour a concrete foundation around those and because of frost, you have to pour the foundation about 2' underground and the foundation ends up costing about the same as the structure. After getting a couple quotes it's about $38-45 per foot to pour a foundation. I found one on KSL that's 45' wide but I'd have to disassemble the whole thing and put it back together. It ends up costing so much to move it and pour the foundation that I might as well pay someone to do a barn for me.

After crunching all these numbers and trying to figure this all out I might just stick to putting tarps over my hay. It gets expensive very quickly.

/ Raising a barn #18  
Those are some heavy trusses, and I 2nd the beautiful background view. Nice job, we love to see barn raisings.

/ Raising a barn #19  
Wow cat, that is looking great! Hey, I can do that :mickeymouse: :liar:

Oh, to have flat, treeless land!! My place is in Georgia and it hasn't been logged in about 100 years! I used to think I wanted wooded land... right. I just might sell and move out west!! Love that scenery! You can actually see more than about 40 yards!

/ Raising a barn
Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I do have a great view and we sometimes forget it, so thanks for reminding me.:)
Here are the pictures I took last night on our progress.
DSCN2244.jpgDSCN2245.jpgDSCN2246.jpg