Raising a barn

/ Raising a barn #21  
Looks really nice.

Did you just use a single bolt through the ends of your trusses to support them to the posts with a small block under the truss that is just nailed to the post?

/ Raising a barn
Looks really nice.

Did you just use a single bolt through the ends of your trusses to support them to the posts with a small block under the truss that is just nailed to the post?

Yes, it's a 3/4" bolt. I have done the same thing on two other pole barns that are now 15 years old---no problems. Heavy snow load at times also.
I also had the truss plant put on thicker and larger steel connecting plates on the ends of the trusses. I guess the size got me a little nervous.

Last edited:
   / Raising a barn
Still plugging along, here are some photo's from last night. I have to work Friday thru Sunday so not much will happen over the weekend. Just a little framing left and it will be metal time. DSCN2268.jpgDSCN2267.jpgDSCN2266.jpg

/ Raising a barn
Yeah, I've been looking around and trying to price something like this. I've looked into steel arch buildings but hear a lot of mixed reviews about those. The thing is you need to pour a concrete foundation around those and because of frost, you have to pour the foundation about 2' underground and the foundation ends up costing about the same as the structure. After getting a couple quotes it's about $38-45 per foot to pour a foundation. I found one on KSL that's 45' wide but I'd have to disassemble the whole thing and put it back together. It ends up costing so much to move it and pour the foundation that I might as well pay someone to do a barn for me.

After crunching all these numbers and trying to figure this all out I might just stick to putting tarps over my hay. It gets expensive very quickly.

I did that tarp thing for several years. I can't put the words on this forum for what I think of those days.:D
But if that works for you "To each his own". Good luck.

/ Raising a barn
Here is an update on the barn progress.
DSCN2270.jpg
The roof and awning are ready for metal.
DSCN2279.jpg
This is how I connected the awning to the post. 3/4 bolt with the bracer board underneath on each post.
DSCN2280.jpg
Moved the electrical panel. The little wall with the blue tarp is now gone. At some point I plan to get more power to the barn but this will suffice for now.
The roof metal is coming tomorrow so I will be busy for a few day getting that up. We got screwed on the wall metal by the distributor. They sold our metal to someone else and now we wont get it until the end of the month. (yes I'm pissed about that.) It's a premium color that I don't want to give up on. Took me and my wife 2 hours to pick out the colors. All in all it's going good. My back will be happy when it's done though.:)

/ Raising a barn
Some progress on barn; The roof is complete.:) My back is so happy.
DSCN2285.jpgDSCN2286.jpgDSCN2293.jpg
I have the headers framed for the big doors and finished framing in the small door.
DSCN2292.jpgDSCN2294.jpg
And as you can see starting moving in some equipment.
I still need to do some more grading inside.
With any luck I will get the rest of the metal next week.

/ Raising a barn #27  
Is your plan to open up the fence next to the barn to allow you to drive through? That is going to be a nice looking barn. You do good work.

/ Raising a barn #28  
WOW...That looks awesome!!!
Nice work.

/ Raising a barn #29  
How did you do your flashing on the wall where the second roof starts? I've had some issues with this and found that putting a gutter on the top section solves all the issues of water splashing back up when it hits the second roof.

/ Raising a barn
Is your plan to open up the fence next to the barn to allow you to drive through? That is going to be a nice looking barn. You do good work.

Yes, that section of fence will come down. I will put up a couple electric wires with a switch to make sure the cows don't rub anywhere on it. Then I can turn it off anytime I need access through that door.