Raking roots with a box blade

/ Raking roots with a box blade #1  

wjmartins

Tractor
LS XG3140
I already own a box blade, plus a few other attachments, so I am trying to do with what I have.

Anyone had luck raking pine tree roots with a box blade, keeping the blade off the ground, angling the box forward as far as possible and using 18" shanks to rip the roots up? My current shanks are a bit short to do this, so I am looking at a longer set and then try my luck. Anyone with success, input will be appreciated.

/ Raking roots with a box blade #2  
All your going to do is rip one end loose. Use a set of loppers and cut at ground level.

/ Raking roots with a box blade #3  
Unless these are fairly small trees/roots and/or partly rotted out, I think you might have better luck with a dedicated 3PH ripper tooth. A few years ago, I caught a root while dragging a woods trail and bent(twisted) two of my box blade ripper teeth.

/ Raking roots with a box blade #4  
I had a 5.5 ft King Kutter box and managed to rip the shanks out of the back of the cross beam when I caught some larger roots. I would go with a single shank ripper with a shear bolt protection. If you cut a couple of sides and then hook the stump, it should yield. I have seen a few of the solid shank (non-shear bolt) rippers bent catching large roots or rocks.

/ Raking roots with a box blade #5  
I picked up a cheap box blade and bent two of the shanks on tree roots. It worked well on another one though, but I suppose it's a matter of watching your speed and knowing where they are sure helps too!

/ Raking roots with a box blade #6  
How big are the root would be my concern...might damage 3pt hitch.

/ Raking roots with a box blade #7  
I have years of experience removing subterranean roots. Like HALFTRACK and BRONCO82, i had scarifiers rip out of the Box Blade frame, failing at the attachment hardware. I speculate scarifiers and scarifier hardware is engineered to intentionally fail before stress damages the Three Point Hitch.

A spring-protected Field Cultivator, also known as an All Purpose Plow, works better, holds up and penetrates to 14". Six tractor horsepower required per shank in moist ground. What makes the Field Cultivator prime for ground penetration is the parabolic shape of the tines, so the replaceable tine points are penetrating the soil almost horizontally.

Field Cultivators for compact tractors are made with three to seventeen shanks.

MORE: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/339095-dirt-dog-all-purpose-plow.html?highlight=

Were your LOCATION included as part of your T-B-N PROFILE I would have provided a vender.

Attachments

• DSC00380.jpg
    DSC00380.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 314
  • DSC00377.jpg
    DSC00377.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 533
  • DSC00364.jpg
    DSC00364.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 759
  • DSC00360.jpg
    DSC00360.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 319
  • images-2.jpeg
    images-2.jpeg
    5.9 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC00017.jpg
    DSC00017.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 503
  • DSC00349.jpg
    DSC00349.jpg
    999.8 KB · Views: 188
  • DSC00118.JPG
    DSC00118.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 322
Last edited:
   / Raking roots with a box blade #8  
First, get a yellow machine,, that says CAT,,,,

THEN,,,,,

/ Raking roots with a box blade #9  
First, get a yellow machine,, that says CAT,,,,

THEN,,,,,

502931219.jpg

That will probably work. If not, there are larger models. :)

Bruce

/ Raking roots with a box blade #10  
would not use a BB for this.
I did use it as such for huisache roots but they may not be as tough as what your after.
Also, was grading a 3/4 acre area for ruts (felt like mowing over train tracks) and discovered it as used as a burial ground of oak trunks and stumps.
After work was all done week later, was drinking some tea and noticed a scarfier tooth was listing starboard!
Well sonofagun...actually bent one pulling up a stump from the ground.
So yes sir would not use a BB for ripping up roots. What's the ol' saying just cause yah can, don't mean yah should...lol...