Raking roots with a box blade

/ Raking roots with a box blade #11  
removing roots for me is usually part of clearing a stump...
Without using a backhoe for exposed or cut (from the stump) roots...I've found lifting them up/out with a tooth bar on the loader bucket saves the issues of using something like a BB and rippers etc...
using the curl function with the teeth under the root and the bucket on the ground it has tremendous force and pops even large trunk roots...

/ Raking roots with a box blade #12  
Tooth bar is good way to go no doubt. Have uprooted some small hackberries (about2-3") that way.

/ Raking roots with a box blade #13  
I do not know what kind of operation you have, but here, I could not drive my M6040 around/between/among the small pines to do any root ripping.

BTW - why try ripping the roots. Just lop - tree limb loppers or chainsaw - the trees off at ground level. The root system will rot out very soon.

/ Raking roots with a box blade #14  
Here in FL I have had decent results root raking with my box blade. I have a Land Pride 2572 BB, and have broken 1 scarifier on a larger root. BB root raking is not for anything heavy or particularly thick, but in the OP's size tractor it is less likely to cause damage if slowly raking lighter root mat than if attempted with the loader. These smaller loaders are NOT designed to be pushed and subjected to uneven shock forces such as you will experience root raking. I would much prefer pulling the BB slowly for this operation, and although I have a larger loader than the OP's, I would never consider root raking with my grapple on anything heavier than landscape hedges :)

/ Raking roots with a box blade #15  
How tough is your box blade? I've got some 7' gannon beast that I don't worry about in the slightest, but I do take it easy and go slow to keep the 3pt on the tractor... If you don't have a hydraulic top link yet, get one if you use your box blade much, it makes it so much better to use. Get a hyd side link too, as I always kick myself for not getting one halfway through any of my jobs.

/ Raking roots with a box blade #16  
A sub-soiler might slice or pull them the out stronger than box blade shanks, but be prepared to stop quickly for those that won't budge causing the tractor to rear up and point to the sky!