Raking stone dust question

/ Raking stone dust question #1  

RoyJackson

Rest in Peace
Tractor
John Deere 4052R Cab,, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements
Men,
As some of you know, I recently had a well drilled.
I've removed most of the spoils (there was a lot of it!) with the loader. However, there is still some on the ground that can't be removed using the loader without really tearing the grass up.
I thought about renting a landscape rake, but the tines are too coarse...landscape rakes aren't real good on a lawn.
So, what would you use? I'm not expecting pristine and I do expect the final "finishing" work will be done by hand.
BTW, I'll likely be renting which ever implement I use to do the job.

/ Raking stone dust question #2  
I have a rubber paddle that goes on the end of my Echo split shaft power head. It is fast, easy, and thorough. You can just pull your loader up to the area and fill it up with the paddle.

/ Raking stone dust question #3  
Roy,

Having no visual reference, I immediately thought of a shop vac. I suspect you would have to empty several times, but you could dump into your FEL bucket. Would that work??

Not the macho attachment perhaps, but cheap!!

/ Raking stone dust question #4  
While the hand held power broom is an effective tool, it is a "gateway drug". I started out last spring with a Shindaiwa. It was great for moving debris across the grass with out de-rooting the turf. If I had a FEL at the time it would've been better. Last summer I sold it and replaced it with this...

57808687.jpg

Last edited:
   / Raking stone dust question #5  
My house originally had a gravel roof. I used my shop vac to vacuum up all the gravel and dump it off the roof into a wheel barrow. Had enough to re gravel my drive way! I would think that you could vacuum up the loose stuff to remove it. You may also try tying a piece of folded up carpet or a board across the tines on your land scape rake to make it more like a blade?

/ Raking stone dust question
I have a rubber paddle that goes on the end of my Echo split shaft power head. It is fast, easy, and thorough. You can just pull your loader up to the area and fill it up with the paddle.

I can't picture that..got a picture?

Guys, thanks for all the answers so far!
I think this stuff may be too mucky for a shop vacuum. But shoveling as much as possible into the bucket is, in fact, an option.
The power broom may work too, if I can find one for rent.

/ Raking stone dust question #7  
I would love to post a pic but I use a iPad and a Mac, they don't play nice with photo bucket

/ Raking stone dust question
I would love to post a pic but I use a iPad and a Mac, they don't play nice with photo bucket

That's OK...
I did look at the Echo site which gave me the idea of using a blower. I think shoveling as much as I can (the loader would dig in to the lawn at this point), then using a leaf blower might do what I need to do.

/ Raking stone dust question #10  
Men,
As some of you know, I recently had a well drilled.
I've removed most of the spoils (there was a lot of it!) with the loader. However, there is still some on the ground that can't be removed using the loader without really tearing the grass up.
I thought about renting a landscape rake, but the tines are too coarse...landscape rakes aren't real good on a lawn.
So, what would you use? I'm not expecting pristine and I do expect the final "finishing" work will be done by hand.
BTW, I'll likely be renting which ever implement I use to do the job.
A 3pt mounted rotary brush would do a great job I think. I use one to maintain my gravel driveway.
...Like your new tag line.;)
larry