Raking stone dust question

/ Raking stone dust question
A 3pt mounted rotary brush would do a great job I think. I use one to maintain my gravel driveway.
...Like your new tag line.;)
larry

I think a broom might work too....does your's tear up the grass?
Haven't seen one around here for rent, but I'll check a bit more...

/ Raking stone dust question #12  
I think in a clean up situation such as yours that one of the most important things is to keep the footprint from getting bigger. I would use the fel bucket as dustpan and try raking with leaf rake, flat shovel and a stiff bristle push broom. Then follow up with a backpack blower.

/ Raking stone dust question #13  
I think a broom might work too....does your's tear up the grass?
Haven't seen one around here for rent, but I'll check a bit more...
I have poly bristle with wire mixed in. It leaves establised grass there ... just scrubs it a bit. I sweep the gravel back onto the drive from the grass shoulders. It moves loose stuf with a light touch. Heavy pressure and slow travel will dig surface imbedded gravel out of the ground, but still has a hard time uprooting grass. When looking be sure it insist on one that you can angle. Its probably more than you need for your job, but youll probably figure out something else to do with it while you have it.
larry

It leaves establised grass there ... just scrubs it a bit. It moves loose stuf with a light touch. Heavy pressure and slow travel will dig surface imbedded gravel out of the ground. When looking be sure it insist on one that you can angle. Its probably more than you need for your job, but youll probably figure out something else to do with it while you have it.
larry

I saw one on the local CL a year or two back...probably a bit more since I didn't have enough PTO HP (on my old 790) at the time. I do now with the 4400.
Other tasks I've use one for would be drive maintenance (like your's, my drive is gravel), light snow removal and leaf removal (not sure how well that would work though). I'd also use a broom for the road in front of our property (20-30 yards either side of the driveway entrance).

I know PTO brooms aren't cheap, and I don't want to buy a new one...

/ Raking stone dust question #15  
I saw one on the local CL a year or two back...probably a bit more since I didn't have enough PTO HP (on my old 790) at the time. I do now with the 4400.
Other tasks I've use one for would be drive maintenance (like your's, my drive is gravel), light snow removal and leaf removal (not sure how well that would work though). I'd also use a broom for the road in front of our property (20-30 yards either side of the driveway entrance).

I know PTO brooms aren't cheap, and I don't want to buy a new one...

You need one of those big PTO blowers. I need one too...

As for your stone dust piles... I'm afraid your best bet is to do it by hand. Use your FEL for the big stuff, then use a shovel to scrape down to the grass. Then, use a metal-tine leaf rake to rake up the rest into piles, then shovel/rake the piles into your FEL. The metal-tine leaf rake pulls everything out, but is very kind to the grass. The thatching job you'll end up with is a freebee.

I had to do the same thing this past fall. My driveway is nitpack gravel, which is stone dust mixed with 3/4" stone - mostly stone dust. After the freak Halloween storm we had this year, thanks to my not-yet-frozen driveway and 2 1/2 feet of snow on top, I did a fair amount of accidental plunging into the gooshy drive when running my snowblower, especially on my parking area next to the house. Unfortunately, the driveway debris was ejected across my yard. All of the snow melted a week later, leaving a bunch of 3' wide, 6" deep, 50' long stripes of nitpack across my lawn.

It looked like it would take all day to clean up, but it only took an hour or so.

JayC

/ Raking stone dust question #16  
Roy
I would think most rental centers would have a power broom to rent. It doesn't hurt the lawn. I use my to remove winter road sand from the shoulders of the road. It's also great for removing gravel pushed on to the lawn, from plowing the driveway. I believe they rent around here for about $70 for the day. The only problem, you might want to have one for yourself, after you use it. I have two and rake most of my lawn with them. Between gravel acorns sticks etc they work great and just use the bucket on your loader like a dust pan. Good luck

All good posts so far!
Thank you!!

As an aside...I dumped quite a bit of the spoils at the end of my drive and smoothed it out using the bucket.
Boy!! What a mistake that was...with all this rain (almost an inch in the last 12 hours), it's turned back into a miserable mucky mess!!!

/ Raking stone dust question #18  
Get the photo bucket app for the iPad/iPHone. Take the picture using your iPad or IPhone and Upload via the app. Then you can log on to photo bucket using your Mac, find the pic, copy and paste the img. code for the pic into your post and wham-o....Works like a charm.

HTH,

mark

I would love to post a pic but I use a iPad and a Mac, they don't play nice with photo bucket

/ Raking stone dust question #19  
my hand held leaf blower will blow gravel off my driveway if I hold in too close when leaf blowing.
i've used the the rented paddle thing for spring to clean up snow plow sand. It is a wanted rental item around here in the spring.

/ Raking stone dust question #20  
Roy
I would think most rental centers would have a power broom to rent. It doesn't hurt the lawn. I use my to remove winter road sand from the shoulders of the road. It's also great for removing gravel pushed on to the lawn, from plowing the driveway. I believe they rent around here for about $70 for the day. The only problem, you might want to have one for yourself, after you use it. I have two and rake most of my lawn with them. Between gravel acorns sticks etc they work great and just use the bucket on your loader like a dust pan. Good luck
They are expensive, but extremely useful for moving non rooted stuf in a finesse fashion. The more you use it the more you find to do with it. I just found out how to use it to smooth a loose berm that has been made by brushing at an angle. -- Turn the broom off and drag it heavy over/along the berm while still set at angle. The brush will drag/spin from ground contact and move material subtly. A better job in a couple passes than hand raking all day! Requires a PTO that will freewheel tho.:confused3:
larry