/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #11  
Let's see...
1994 Dodge Ram
View attachment 303143
1999 Ford Super Duty
View attachment 303144
Yup, Dodge definitely went back in time and copied Ford here. :laughing:
RAM leads - Sheep follow.

I really don't see were they copied anything.

How about Chrysler trying to copy Ford's 4.6 by coming out with the 4.7 that was nearly as good.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #12  
94BULLITT said:
I really don't see were they copied anything.

How about Chrysler trying to copy Ford's 4.6 by coming out with the 4.7 that was nearly as good.
Now that's funny!
I certainly hope your joking because that's sad if your not.
Dodge V8 4.7l - 290–310 hp and 320–334 lb·ft of torque. Produced 1999 - current
Ford V8 4.6l - 248 hp and 294 lb·ft of torque. Produced 1997 - 2010 where it was dropped.

Hey Dodge copied Ford by using four wheels! :laughing:

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #13  
Now that's funny!
Ford V8 4.6l - 248 hp and 294 lb·ft of torque. Produced 1997 - 2010 where it was dropped.

The 4.6 came out in 91, it still is in production. It varied in power from 215-390. The 4.6 has COP's which the 4.7 has. They are located in the same spot. The acessory drive is similar but the Ford setup is better. It it flush mounted with the front of the engine and does not use brackets.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #14  
never been a Ram or Dodge fan but they deserve congratulations on this move. They should sell very well (hopefully) and others will follow their lead (again, hopefully). I'll hang on to my Tacoma but I'll be keeping my eye on this for my next truck.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #16  
Now that's funny!

Where do you get a 4.6 limited to 248hp? There are variants with nearly double that.

Chris

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #17  
The 4.7 can't be a copy of the 4.6 if it has more than 4 threads in the head for the spark plugs.

They are both similar engines. That's it.

As having been a dealer tech for both Dodge and Ford, I can say that for longevity and reliability, Ford has nothing on Mopar engines. The Mopar engines may be a little maintenance heavy, but they run forever. I can recall many, many Ford engines that met an early demise.

Last edited:
   / Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #18  
Diamondpilot said:
Where do you get a 4.6 limited to 248hp? There are variants with nearly double that.

Chris
In truck duty, not talking about some strung out Mustang Cobra.
The last engine ANYONE should copy is a Ford modular spitting plugs out while driving down the road and their basically non-replacable exhaust manifolds. :laughing:

Anyways, who cares about Ford's long line of engine failures. This thread is about light duty diesels.

I hope RAM does the right thing and prices it the same as the HEMI option.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #19  
Its great to see Dodge making this bold move. It'll likely force the others to follow. GM has a smaller duramax that is built in USA, designed and ready to go with impressive numbers. It had more torque and HP than Ford/IH 7.3L diesels. If it's anything like the 2 I've put over 400,000 miles on, it'll be great. Quiet, smooth, powerful and efficient.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #20  
Oh the fun I had in my 4.3 s10 blowing the doors off of 4.6 mustang gt.