Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #21  
It wasn't as much fun as my 02 trans am ws6 tearing up stage three roushes tho! Makes me want to go get that car out rite now and go play!

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #22  
Oh the fun I had in my 4.3 s10 blowing the doors off of 4.6 mustang gt.

Was that one of the "hurricane" S-10's....I think thats what they called them...
I drove one of those once, and it wasnt my syle, but it was sick.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #23  
In truck duty, not talking about some strung out Mustang Cobra.
The last engine ANYONE should copy is a Ford modular spitting plugs out while driving down the road and their basically non-replacable exhaust manifolds. :laughing:

Anyways, who cares about Ford's long line of engine failures. This thread is about light duty diesels.

I hope RAM does the right thing and prices it the same as the HEMI option.

If Dodge was only capable of making a engine half a good as a Ford mod motor they would have something. If you torque the spark plugs to specs they don't blow out. How about the 4.7 valve seat popping out.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #25  
Nice thread derail. Again.

420ft lbs of diesel will be a sweet engine to drive on a day to day basis.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #26  
I think the baby dmax is 520 ft lbs. and made in USA :)

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #27  
I wonder how much this diesel option will cost?

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #28  
Finally a modern 1/2 ton diesel!!!!!!!!!!

A regular cab, short bed truck sounds like it would be really fun to drive and a heck of a driveway plow rig.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #29  
I wonder how much this diesel option will cost?

That's the key to the whole thing. With the improving mileage and power of gas engines and the emissions on the diesels lowering the mileage there's not a real need for diesels in a half ton truck. The extra expense of the diesel could kill any mileage advantage the diesel might have. Diesels make more sense in a heavier truck that's used for towing or hauling heavy loads. Also, a gas engine would be a better choice for short trips that a half ton is usually used for. Personally, if I had a need for a half ton truck I wouldn't consider a diesel and that's the only engine I've had in a pickup since '82.

I had a new '83 GMC Jimmy with the 6.2 diesel that I used for pulling my boat. It would get 20 mpg towing and 25 non-towing. This was over twice the mileage than my '78 Bronco got with the 400 gas engine. I don't remember the diesel cost over the gas engine but it probably wasn't over $1500.