Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage.

/ Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage.
How can you say the Eco Boost is only getting 8 towing when I did a fair test using identical trailers, same route, same day versus my beloved Titan. It did better than 12 on a 250 mile trip.

Our Eco Boost has nearly 16,500 miles and has averaged 18.5 since new. 4x4 Super Crew with 3.73 gears.

Chris
Yeah I remember it: www.tractorbynet.com/forums//showthread.php?t=241897
I guess I should be more descriptive for those who think little u-haul box trailers and boats are real towing. I'm talking large enclosed trailers and campers, the stuff probably 75% of truck buyers tow. A 30ft 8k enclosed trailer/camper is a lot different than some small cargo trailer or a pop-up.

Look on some RV forums, those are the guys seeing single digit mpg's and drivetrain issues (shudder, limp mide, etc...).
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25990561/gotomsg/25990790.cfm

/ Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage. #22  
It does offset the price, no turbos to replace (your kidding yourself if you think the turbos will outlast the engine), no expensive direct injectors to replace, and no engine shudder/limp mode problems (google it, it's widespread enough that Ford's working on a TSB).
Also cheaper premium up front (around $3000 simarly equipped). That buys a lot of mid-grade octane which is about 3% or $0.10 more around here).

Never had any problem with mine or two of my co-workers. I do hear of a select few on the web that get water in the intercooler but they have fixed that. Overall it is a great engine and people are happy with them.

They are obviously great or it wouldn't be the current benchmark all these new comparisons are using.

I don't think I could go backwards now and own a naturally aspirated truck. The low rpm, quite cabin have me spoiled.

If it cost me a thousand dollars to replace a couple turbos at 150,000 miles so be it. I doubt I will still have it then but who knows.

Are you purchasing one of these? If not why are you on such a high horse protecting its fate?

Last edited:
Never had any problem with mine or two of my co-workers. I do here of a select few on the web that get water in the intercooler but they have fixed that..
Sometimes I think you and DiamondPilot are the same person. So you and two people you know didn't have a well known problem so it must be just an internet myth even though it's posted everywhere you look. Blue oval glasses at their best.
They are obviously great or it wouldn't be the current benchmark all these new comparisons are using.
Benchmark? No
New? Yes
Whenever there's a new design, it's compared to everything. When GM's new engines come up they will put that against everything. Doesn't mean it's a great engine, just new.

If it cost me a thousand dollars to replace a couple turbos at 150,000 miles so be it. I doubt I will still have it then but who knows.

Are you purchasing one of these? If not why are you on such a high horse protecting its fate?
Well if your fine with thousands in engine repairs on an engine with 150k miles then Ford fits the bill!

And yes I will be purchasing a new truck within 1 or 2 years so I'm doing my homework now.

/ Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage. #24  
Had a 2010 Hemi 1500 with MDS, the engine puked its camshaft at 27k, delaminated lobes, Chrysler left me holding the bag with a bandaid fix. Owned a previous Chrysler product, it puked a head gasket at 37k and Chrysler said "that's common with that engine, bummer sucks to be you". I will never buy another Chrysler product ever.

/ Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage. #25  
My neighbor had a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7. He had problems with it at 55-60MPH jerking real bad at 400 miles. They put a torque converter in it and friction modifier in the trans, and updated the computer and nothing helped it. The mechanic at the delaership told him all the Jeeps with the hemi do it but the pentastar does not do it and they have the same trans. They had the district rep ride in it and he said that was not anything wrong with it. He ended up getting rid of it with like 2000 miles on it. I think it may have been the MDS.

/ Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage. #26  
I'm not a big fan of smaller motors or the ecoboost over a larger displacement engine but I wouldn't be too worried about buying a new ecoboost v6. I'll buy a Tundra over a Ford 1/2 ton. The 150k miles and you have to change your turbos I think is being overblown. To me that's like saying a timing belt will last 100k miles and has to be changed. In reality what is being said is that the useable life expectancy (will not break) of the belt is 100k. It will last longer. It's just the damage that it will do and the fact that if it breaks you are not going anywhere means it's wise to change it at 100k.

Plus since Ford is selling a lot of these I would bet that you'll be able to buy a reman turbo for the truck from an aftermarket company for less than half the $800 Ford will sell you one for. Bottom line is change your oil as required. I'm not sure if I would buy a used ecoboost for a few years. The previous owner could have pushed the oil changes way too far apart. Plus what is Ford's criteria for end of life? Would it be a total failure or wear on a bearing that exceeds a number? Also what about use? If you work a gas engine hard you are going to generate a lot more heat, did Ford assume that the turbo would be always at the max normal operating temp?

I wonder what the life expectancy of a clutch is or how much Ford would charge you to replace one? I say this because I know that most local mechanics can do a clutch change in about 1/3 to 1/2 the time that most mfgs quote the job requiring often charging quite a bit less per hour. In my eyes when I read something like an engine is designed to last 150k miles that means the majority will make 150k miles or more. Sure there will be some that don't make 150k miles but I bet those will be the ones who didn't do the routine maintenance. How many engines (or trucks) make it past 200k?

But I'm not a big fan of 7, 8, or more speed transmissions. Fine in a diesel with a limited RPM range but it a car or pickup means they are always going to be shifting. That means there is always going to be a speed that you normally drive at that's right at the point where a slight hill will cause a downshift. Fine when towing a load but when just driving it annoys me.

/ Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage. #27  
Looks like Dmace has made yet another thread to poop on Ford. How entertaining. Yawn.

/ Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage. #28  
My neighbor had a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7. He had problems with it at 55-60MPH jerking real bad at 400 miles. They put a torque converter in it and friction modifier in the trans, and updated the computer and nothing helped it. The mechanic at the delaership told him all the Jeeps with the hemi do it but the pentastar does not do it and they have the same trans. They had the district rep ride in it and he said that was not anything wrong with it. He ended up getting rid of it with like 2000 miles on it. I think it may have been the MDS.

I have a co-worker with the same issue with the same SUV and dealer mechanic said the same thing, all the hemi ones do it and dealer service manager said not a problem. I don't know all of what was done, I do believe a friction modifier was used. He also has to run high octane non-ethanol gas. This has made it so it only does it once in a while. The non-ethanol solution he found on some jeep forum because the problem is very well known among owners.

Had a 2010 Hemi 1500 with MDS, the engine puked its camshaft at 27k, delaminated lobes, Chrysler left me holding the bag with a bandaid fix. Owned a previous Chrysler product, it puked a head gasket at 37k and Chrysler said "that's common with that engine, bummer sucks to be you". I will never buy another Chrysler product ever.
Everyone knows someone with that problematic vehicle but this is just plain lies. At 27k miles it's still well within the bumper-to-bumper warranty. No manufacturer could just bandaid it and leave. Unless the vehicle owner had no idea what they were doing and just left with their tail between their legs rather than fighting the dealership. I've been there with an 01 Escape with a constant fuel leaking problem that kept getting "fixed". After the forth time of fighting with them, I got it replaced under the Lemon Laws. I didn't give up instead.
And a manufacturer saying " that's common with that engine, bummer sucks to be you"?
Gimme a break, if your gonna make to make up lies, make them believable.

Looks like Dmace has made yet another thread to poop on Ford. How entertaining. Yawn.
I started this thread to show EPA fuel mileage comparisons not to bash one or the other.
I'm not surprised the same Ford band wagon of people had to come in with new stories of failed non-Ford products rather than talking about new vehicles.
The thread isn't "what vehicle failure story do you have?" :rolleyes:

Speaking of the Ford band wagon...
My neighbor had a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7. He had problems with it at 55-60MPH jerking real bad at 400 miles. They put a torque converter in it and friction modifier in the trans, and the computer and nothing helped it. The mechanic at the delaership told him all the Jeeps with the hemi do it but the pentastar does not do it and they have the same trans. They had the district rep ride in it and he said that was not anything wrong with it. He ended up getting rid of it with like 2000 miles on it. I think it may have been the MDS.
Here's an idea, did your "friend" push the Tow/Haul button which disables the MDS? I assume no offset still think it's MDS. There was a TSB for torque converter programming which fixed the hesitation problem.

Anyways, back to fuel mileage comparisons and not "My friends broken non-Ford" like every other thread in this forum...