Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage.

/ Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage. #31  
Yeah I remember it: F-150 Eco Boost Towing Vs Nissan Titan
I guess I should be more descriptive for those who think little u-haul box trailers and boats are real towing. I'm talking large enclosed trailers and campers, the stuff probably 75% of truck buyers tow. A 30ft 8k enclosed trailer/camper is a lot different than some small cargo trailer or a pop-up.

Look on some RV forums, those are the guys seeing single digit mpg's and drivetrain issues (shudder, limp mide, etc...).
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: EcoBoost towing gas mileage?

Funny you would want to attract others to a thread in which you jumped in out of no where to brand bash. I remember that thread well.

Sometimes I think you and DiamondPilot are the same person. So you and two people you know didn't have a well known problem so it must be just an internet myth even though it's posted everywhere you look. Blue oval glasses at their best.

Benchmark? No
New? Yes
Whenever there's a new design, it's compared to everything. When GM's new engines come up they will put that against everything. Doesn't mean it's a great engine, just new.

Well if your fine with thousands in engine repairs on an engine with 150k miles then Ford fits the bill!

And yes I will be purchasing a new truck within 1 or 2 years so I'm doing my homework now.

What is the DiamondPilot reference? Is this another wild tangent I have to dispel? I guess since you mentioned it, we both share the common bond of squashing your one tracked agenda. From the looks of things our army is growing with great numbers.

As far as problems, one could google search any make, model, or engine and find some dirt. The internet is a great tool for those with problems to vent. Why are you spending so much searching the internet for ecoboost problems? Is that one of your options in 1 or 2 years when you purchase a new truck?

Here is the definition of benchmark for you:
benchキmark (bnchm�k)
n.
1. A standard by which something can be measured or judged: "Inflation . . . is a great distorter of seemingly fixed economic ideas and benchmarks" (Benjamin M. Friedman). See Synonyms at standard.
2. often bench mark A surveyor's mark made on a stationary object of previously determined position and elevation and used as a reference point in tidal observations and surveys.
tr.v. benchï½·marked, benchï½·markï½·ing, benchï½·marks
To measure (a rival's product) according to specified standards in order to compare it with and improve one's own product.

Compare the last sentence to the title of your thread. You too are using the ecoboost as a benchmark. LOL

Please do not misquote me in the future. I said: "If it cost me a thousand dollars to replace a couple turbos at 150,000 miles so be it". You changed it to "thousands".

Lastly.....
Why are you doing any homework on model comparison? Shouldn't you just be research which Fiat (or whoever will own the Ram name in 1-2 years) DEALERSHIP to use? Your mind appears to be stuck on the Ram.

/ Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage. #32  
I guess that my old antique 03 F350 crew dually 4x4 with a dinosaur 7.3 is so outdated...
14.5 mpg running back and forth to work and a solid 10 to 11 pulling as much weight as I want to...
And it's paid for...
To be honest with you, I see no reason to add a truck payment for anything Detroit is making now over what I have got...

/ Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage. #33  
I'm not a big fan of smaller motors or the ecoboost over a larger displacement engine but I wouldn't be too worried about buying a new ecoboost v6. I'll buy a Tundra over a Ford 1/2 ton. The 150k miles and you have to change your turbos I think is being overblown. To me that's like saying a timing belt will last 100k miles and has to be changed. In reality what is being said is that the useable life expectancy (will not break) of the belt is 100k. It will last longer. It's just the damage that it will do and the fact that if it breaks you are not going anywhere means it's wise to change it at 100k.

Plus since Ford is selling a lot of these I would bet that you'll be able to buy a reman turbo for the truck from an aftermarket company for less than half the $800 Ford will sell you one for. Bottom line is change your oil as required. I'm not sure if I would buy a used ecoboost for a few years. The previous owner could have pushed the oil changes way too far apart. Plus what is Ford's criteria for end of life? Would it be a total failure or wear on a bearing that exceeds a number? Also what about use? If you work a gas engine hard you are going to generate a lot more heat, did Ford assume that the turbo would be always at the max normal operating temp?

I wonder what the life expectancy of a clutch is or how much Ford would charge you to replace one? I say this because I know that most local mechanics can do a clutch change in about 1/3 to 1/2 the time that most mfgs quote the job requiring often charging quite a bit less per hour. In my eyes when I read something like an engine is designed to last 150k miles that means the majority will make 150k miles or more. Sure there will be some that don't make 150k miles but I bet those will be the ones who didn't do the routine maintenance. How many engines (or trucks) make it past 200k?

But I'm not a big fan of 7, 8, or more speed transmissions. Fine in a diesel with a limited RPM range but it a car or pickup means they are always going to be shifting. That means there is always going to be a speed that you normally drive at that's right at the point where a slight hill will cause a downshift. Fine when towing a load but when just driving it annoys me.

I just threw out the 150,000 miles to prove a point. The lifespan may be greater or less than this. I was mainly conveying that I will be satisfied if it makes it to 150,000 miles.

I agree that there will be plenty of re manufactured options available when the needs arise. I would expect in a few years to be able to go the the local autoparts store and buy one off the shelf.

/ Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage. #34  
I started this thread to show EPA fuel mileage comparisons not to bash one or the other.
I'm not surprised the same Ford band wagon of people had to come in with new stories of failed non-Ford products rather than talking about new vehicles.
The thread isn't "what vehicle failure story do you have?" :rolleyes:

Speaking of the Ford band wagon...

Here's an idea, did your "friend" push the Tow/Haul button which disables the MDS? I assume no offset still think it's MDS. There was a TSB for torque converter programming which fixed the hesitation problem.

Anyways, back to fuel mileage comparisons and not "My friends broken non-Ford" like every other thread in this forum...

Band wagon. Lol. You have your head so far up Fiats butt you can't see what the rest of the industry is doing.

Calling the kettle black arnt we?

Chris

/ Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage. #35  
Re: The new gen V6's for trucks
As much as I love Ford's F-150 (I have a 2008)., I recently heard a tow truck driver say he hauls a lot of F-150's with the Ecoboost V-6. Apparently, Ford has some electrical issues to work out yet.

Taken from a non vehicle/tractor site. No verification available.:)

/ Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage.
What is the DiamondPilot reference? Is this another wild tangent I have to dispel? I guess since you mentioned it, we both share the common bond of squashing your one tracked agenda.
I explained the reference but you obviously didn't get it. It's funny how you both seem to always know one or two people with a Ford that hasn't had a problem with low miles and it's the perfect vehicle yet you read one problem or have one friend with a problem in a non-Ford product and it must be a widespread epidemic. Only you two could see a handful of people with a Chrylser MDS problem and say it's junk yet be completely blind to the Triton 5.4l, Powerstroke 6.0l and 6.4l problems that were widespread enough to cause such lawsuits and contract losses.

My "one tracked agenda" is providing facts where you guys have nothing more than friend stories...

As far as problems, one could google search any make, model, or engine and find some dirt. The internet is a great tool for those with problems to vent. Why are you spending so much searching the internet for ecoboost problems? Is that one of your options in 1 or 2 years when you purchase a new truck?
I agree you can find a problem on the internet with any vehicle but most common problems are much easier to find. And YES Ford caught my eye with the V8 power and V6 fuel mileage ads which nowadays is V8 power with V8 mileage. The 5.0l still attracts me though and I do like the Ford as a truck, I'm just weary of their long line of engine failures...
Here is the definition of benchmark for you:
benchキmark (bnchm舐k)
n.
1. A standard by which something can be measured or judged: "Inflation . . . is a great distorter of seemingly fixed economic ideas and benchmarks" (Benjamin M. Friedman). See Synonyms at standard.
2. often bench mark A surveyor's mark made on a stationary object of previously determined position and elevation and used as a reference point in tidal observations and surveys.
tr.v. benchï½·marked, benchï½·markï½·ing, benchï½·marks
To measure (a rival's product) according to specified standards in order to compare it with and improve one's own product.

Compare the last sentence to the title of your thread. You too are using the ecoboost as a benchmark. LOL
As usual, you don't understand what your reading. The last definition is using the word Benchmark as a Verb since you don't understand what a Verb is, look that up too.
Comparing the two engines in this case would be considered a "benchmark test" and in no way labels one variable (engine in this case) as a "benchmark" in the form of a noun. Grade school grammar here people, not rocket science...

Please do not misquote me in the future. I said: "If it cost me a thousand dollars to replace a couple turbos at 150,000 miles so be it". You changed it to "thousands".

Lastly.....
Why are you doing any homework on model comparison? Shouldn't you just be research which Fiat (or whoever will own the Ram name in 1-2 years) DEALERSHIP to use? Your mind appears to be stuck on the Ram.
I said "thousands" because they're over $800 each and doesn't include labor. Your thought that you can get two turbos in that truck replaced for $1000 is not typical.
And unlike bandwagon riders, I research all vehicles before buying and not just watch mainatream media and buy whatever the commercials tell me too.
I may end up with a GM if those new engines turn out as good as I think they will be.
I agree that there will be plenty of re manufactured options available when the needs arise. I would expect in a few years to be able to go the the local autoparts store and buy one off the shelf.
The Ecoboost isn't the first turbocharged vehicle to arrive, others have been out for decades and you still can't get a turbo for them "off the shelf". Sure there will reman options but still an added expense...
I was mainly conveying that I will be satisfied if it makes it to 150,000 miles.
You would be happy if your vehicle only made it to 150k miles with no engine troubles? Low standards are easy to meet I guess. :laughing:

/ Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage.
I guess that my old antique 03 F350 crew dually 4x4 with a dinosaur 7.3 is so outdated...
14.5 mpg running back and forth to work and a solid 10 to 11 pulling as much weight as I want to...
And it's paid for...
To be honest with you, I see no reason to add a truck payment for anything Detroit is making now over what I have got...
That's certainly a truck to keep before the EPA destroyed the production of pre-emissions vehicles to fill a tax burden...
I'd keep that truck too!
Band wagon. Lol. You have your head so far up Fiats butt you can't see what the rest of the industry is doing.

Calling the kettle black arnt we?

Chris
I clearly post facts vs opinions and if that makes the RAM look best then so be it. I've also been an advocate of GM's new engine line as well as Ford's well done 5.0l V8. No bandwagon here...

/ Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage. #38  
I explained the reference but you obviously didn't get it. It's funny how you both seem to always know one or two people with a Ford that hasn't had a problem with low miles and it's the perfect vehicle yet you read one problem or have one friend with a problem in a non-Ford product and it must be a widespread epidemic. Only you two could see a handful of people with a Chrylser MDS problem and say it's junk yet be completely blind to the Triton 5.4l, Powerstroke 6.0l and 6.4l problems that were widespread enough to cause such lawsuits and contract losses.

My "one tracked agenda" is providing facts where you guys have nothing more than friend stories...

Your explanation is still vague. Where have I posted anything about another brands problems? I only posted a success story. Since you have no family or friends with ecoboost troubles, you resort to internet searches. My contributions are real life experiences. I have never owned a 5.4 liter, 6.0 liter, or 6.4 liter engine and have never commented on them. Why all the stray tangents?

BTW, I know the difference between a noun and a verb. For you to disagree that the ecoboost is not a benchmark used often including this thread is ridiculous. The ecoboost is the target every truck manufacturer now is battling. I for one am glad to watch this war as it improves what is available to me in the market.

/ Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage. #39  
I clearly post facts vs opinions and if that makes the RAM look best then so be it. I've also been an advocate of GM's new engine line as well as Ford's well done 5.0l V8. No bandwagon here...

My daily dose of comedy has been exceeded. Stop now before I pee my pants.

/ Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage. #40  
That's certainly a truck to keep before the EPA destroyed the production of pre-emissions vehicles to fill a tax burden...
I'd keep that truck too!

Just do what I did.Found a low mileage 7.3 '01 f250 getting the same mileage as what you are bragging about for a whole lot less than what you're gonna pay. Or you could get a cummins if you like dodge so much(good motor,bad truck imho) I'll never buy a new truck again, in fact with only 58k on mine I probably won't have to :dance1:

Jeff