Random question

/ Random question #21  
In theory a 10" auger may or may not be a reasonable load all depends on the length, gearing & if it's kept "loaded" with corn - although corn being less dense than say wheat is generally a lesser/much easier auger task....

Sure diesels are made to run at constant RPM's but if they are not under load it'll glaze the bores & caronise the engine amongst other consequential increased wear characteristics...........IMO, in the long run newer tractors make incredibly expensive stationary engines

We keep a few small old tractors just for the task of running augers like fordson majors , MF 165 etc

/ Random question #22  
He is a good friend and very good with the tractor. I don't have any doubt about trusting him. If he breaks it, he will fix it. No problem there. Probably bring the hours up to 100-150 a year tops. It sits mostly on a grain auger when he is using it.
Sounds like a good deal for both of you . You're tractor get's exercised and he is storing it out of harm's way .You won't lose much value in tractor until 2- 3000 HRS . Ithink it's better to run atractor some as to have it just sit .

/ Random question #23  
We keep a few small old tractors just for the task of running augers like fordson majors , MF 165 etc

:thumbsup: Same with me, the old "clunkers" make for a good pto "slave" to see out the last days on a auger, pump, genset ..etc - but it's a false economy to be putting a next to new machine on the task day in day out.....

/ Random question
MBTRAC I'll take you literally when you say day in and day out. This is not the case, probably 50hrs a year is on the auger. Still too much?

/ Random question #25  
If it was 5 hours I might think different, but at 25 - 50, keep it under lock and key. Get to talking with any of the guys around here and they will tell you stories like, "I loaned Jerry my disk because I know he is always careful with his equipment but he got too close to a tree, hooked a rear gang, twisted the frame, and it will never be the same." On our farms we have too much to do so we have to hire help, but that is a whole different thing than loaning out equipment.

/ Random question #26  
MBTRAC I'll take you literally when you say day in and day out. This is not the case, probably 50hrs a year is on the auger. Still too much?

An hour here or there on the auger isn't going to make a world of difference, on the proviso the tractor is also getting a chance to "exercise" the engine by experiencing varying loads on other duties (mowing, tilling, ploughing or whatever) but I wouldn't want my "new" tractor raking up constant or sporadic hours only running an auger -glazing the bores & depositing carbon will take it's toll on overall engine performance/life, as does short duration work with many start ups (especially from cold) & where the engine isn't running at operating temperatures.......
We operate in our higher houred machines everything from a Kubota B7100 c.18hp FEL/BH with 6000+hrs to 400hp+ tractors with 20,000+hrs - running long & reasonably "hard" is generally a whole lot less stressful longer term on a diesel than short & "soft"........hence you don't see a lot of CUT's or sub 50hp making big hours as they're usually run on shorter (&in most cases lighter) operating cycles...

/ Random question #27  
Your neighbor sounds like a nice, honest guy.....you do as well. In a few years.....when you go to use your tractor and something breaks.....how are you going to feel knowing you only put 1/10 of the hours on the machine? Who pays for parts or labor? Ever consider selling part ownership in the tractor to your neighbor?? You seem to have more skin in the game....maybe he should share ownership??:2cents:

/ Random question #28  
Sounds to me like a question only you can answer. I let some of my neighbors use my tractor whenever they want. I wouldn't let other neighbors use it on a bet. I ask my self questions like: Will they respect it? Will they likely indeed fix it if they break it? Might they do something stupid enough to jeopardize their own safety on it? etc. etc.

Funny Story: I have a very meticulous neighbor who wouldn't even dream of letting anyone other than himself or his wife even set on his fairly new tractor that he uses for mowing weeds. Several years ago he told me that one of the things he sees people do on their tractors that drives him crazy is allow the gears to grind a bit when they shift (The comment was most likely aimed at me. My 50+ year old Ferguson has no synchros and I seldom bother to double clutch). Well, his tractor developed a condition that prohibited him from being able to shift gears without grinding a bit under certain circumstances. He tore the transmission apart and has had it apart for a year now, waiting parts and time to fix it. I have offered to let him use mine to mow his fields, but he won't take me up on the offer.

/ Random question #30  
Your neighbor sounds like a nice, honest guy.....you do as well. In a few years.....when you go to use your tractor and something breaks.....how are you going to feel knowing you only put 1/10 of the hours on the machine? Who pays for parts or labor? Ever consider selling part ownership in the tractor to your neighbor?? You seem to have more skin in the game....maybe he should share ownership??:2cents:

Jerry hit the nail on the head...You drive it to your place, and while using it the tranny goes south....Your good neighbor might not be so good when you ask for some funds to fix it. As far as part owner goes......He puts the most hrs on the tractor, it breaks when HE'S using it. It ends up being a bill for several thousand dollars, that YOU are responsible for half of.....This is a lose, lose deal. I would rather keep it stored on my property, insured, and if something breaks, it on me..