Ratchet straps that actually last

/ Ratchet straps that actually last #41  
I'd like to hear of a brand that's decent quality too. For me, they seem to last about 3 to 4 years, then I'm unable to get them to release. I keep them in my tool box, so the only time they get weather is when I'm using them while it's raining. I just bought a new set a month ago, and they are pure junk. One strap snapped while tightening it up. Yesterday, the handle of one bent on my while trying to get it tight. These where the most expensive ones for sale at Lowes. I'll probably go to Amazon and see what has the highest reviews.
I too had an issue with a Lowes set after only six weeks. I brought them back, they could not have been any more accommodating, no questions asked just replaced them!
thats the way companies should operate!

/ Ratchet straps that actually last #42  
Are there any ratchet straps (tie downs) that actually last?

At first, I just got store-brand 2" straps at my local Canadian Tire or Princess Auto (a Canadian Harbor Freight-equivalent). The retractable ones since they were convenient. 3 months later, they no longer retracted. A year later, they no longer ratchet.

So I cursed myself for foolishly saving a few $, and bought more expensive brand-name ones (Erickson). A year later, they no longer retracted. Two years later, they do ratchet but they don't want to let go.

I generally keep them inside and reasonably clean, but yes sometimes I forget, and they do get used in the rain. And they do get some spotty surface rust, the kind that comes from condensation.

Are there brands that actually last? Tricks'n'tips to make them last (like should I oil the mechanism every month?) Or do oldtimers know retractable ratchets never last?

BTW, this is not for transporting my tractor or mini-ex. This is to secure trailer loads, transport my UTV, hold gas cans upright, etc.
Where I work we sell ratchet straps made by Ratchet Depot. They're good. I've used and abused them for years and they hold up. I always leave them in the back of my truck and over time they will get a little bit of corrosion (not really rust) and a little spray lube will make them like new. Find a local store that sells this brand.

/ Ratchet straps that actually last #43  

At first, I just got store-brand 2" straps at my local Canadian Tire or Princess Auto (a Canadian Harbor Freight-equivalent). The retractable ones since they were convenient. 3 months later, they no longer retracted. A year later, they no longer ratchet.

So I cursed myself for foolishly saving a few $, and bought more expensive brand-name ones (Erickson). A year later, they no longer retracted. Two years later, they do ratchet but they don't want to let go.

I generally keep them inside and reasonably clean, but yes sometimes I forget, and they do get used in the rain. And they do get some spotty surface rust, the kind that comes from condensation.

Are there brands that actually last? Tricks'n'tips to make them last (like should I oil the mechanism every month?) Or do oldtimers know retractable ratchets never last?

BTW, this is not for transporting my tractor or mini-ex. This is to secure trailer loads, transport my UTV, hold gas cans upright, etc.
Coleman's Surplus (look them up) has many ratchet straps, some military. Shipping is very expensive. They have a lot of nice products. Foot ware to keep your toes warm this winter.
I have many ratchet straps, some 12 or 15 years old. I handle them with great care because I depend on them. Suggest you keep yours very clean, well protected, untangled, and out of the sun.
Give Coleman's a look.

/ Ratchet straps that actually last #44  
A lot of old car guys trust Macs...

I've seen multimillion dollar vehicles secured with Macs tie downs

I second this. The offroaders around here (the ones that just love spending money on their Jeeps etc) all use Mac's. Mac himself is often at the shows and they'll replace any strap that is faulty/fails (though I've never seen one).

That said, I've revived a fair few with just a little WD40. It's a pretty simple mechanism.

/ Ratchet straps that actually last #45  
The reason we are looking for weather resistant ratchets because we haul machines in the winter on a regular bases. It's not the sun and the ratchets can't be kept out of wet weather. I'd pay extra for anything that's weather resistant... Not going to use chains on our 1600lbs 6x6 either..

/ Ratchet straps that actually last #47  
I typically buy the Harbor freight ones for about $7. Bright orange and yes they get left in the back of the truck and yes they get Rusty and faded and then I go buy a new shiny set for another $7. However for the items that I really want to secure, I bought a nice quality set from Lodi Metals, they have all sorts of tie downs. They weren't cheap, so I keep them in the cab after each use. Had them about 2 years, still function awesome and super thick webbing that feels solid. I bought a higher WLL set so nylon webbing is thick, with the doubled wire hooks. Also had metal rings around the webbing if you need to double it back.

/ Ratchet straps that actually last #48  
Aeroquip, if they still exist. Used them with 3" straps on a DM600 Mack flatbed with a Prentice Series G boom to secure dimension lumber, pallets of asphalt roof shingles, shakes, large glue-lam beams, siding, oak flooring and sheetrock, lotsa sheetrock. I was on the road 5 or 6 days a week in southern New England in all kinds of weather near the coast - lots of "salt air". This was late 70's to early 80's, so lots of road salt, too The metal bits were heavily plated with something metalic - cad I believe. Never needed lube. Never had any issues, other than they sometimes got "borrowed" by other drivers at the lumberyard. Scored a pair at a flea market a few years back for $10 each. The straps were toast, but the ratchets are still fine.

/ Ratchet straps that actually last #49  
I use Ancra woven straps on my big truck and on my gooseneck as well. DOT rated. Had them for 10 years at least and other than spraying their mechanisms with PBlaster once in a while, they work fine and look like new. Not cheap but you get what you pay for today.

The box store and TSC straps are junk.

/ Ratchet straps that actually last #50  

Since they get used a bunch, i replace mine yearly if not sooner. Only talking 40-50 bucks…