RatchetRake or BXpanded Piranha Toothbar-BOTH

/ RatchetRake or BXpanded Piranha Toothbar-BOTH #1  

JOHNTHOMAS

Tractor
F2690 4WD RTV X1140 MX5400 HST ZD1211
I bought my first RatchetRake many years ago, about the first year they started selling them online only. I loved it and usually had it mounted on my tractor bucket 95% of the time but it did restrict bucket pick up and front bucket digging. I actually bought about three of them over the years due to changing tractors with different sized buckets. I do lots of ongoing home lot landscaping and keep changing my landscaping and expanding my "Yard" size and play ground tractoring.
For years I read about the Piranha and how wonderful it was and leave on the bucket all the time use. I came up with lots of reasons to justify a Piranha purchase last year or the year before and have used it satisfactorily for a year or two and have never taken it off my bucket since I mounted it. I've came up with several jobs where the Piranha did no help with leveling to finish grade or rock extracting in new added to mowing area spots and missed my RR. It did pull some larger rocks to the surface and I have lots of them but then I had to get off the tractor to round them up and remove them with several off and ons. Final straw was last week I dug a ditch at the edge of my back yard that I want to mow on both sides of it and my gravel/rock road going up my mountain is on the not yard side Lots of large rocks came up and high spots and low spots are present so knowing the RR would level that ditch edge to a swale mowable on both sides and up the middle would be easily attained with a RR and also extract and catch all those bend my mowing blades rocks and leave it in a grass seeding condition I ordered another RR to replace the one I sold to my nephew shortly after getting the Pirinha.
I do have a big pile of great black dirt washed off my mountain to where I dug my ditch and realize I need to get it moved without the RR mounted so trying to make plans for its new location before mounting my RR I rec'd day before yesterday so now my mind will have to be a bit more organized to schedule RR jobs and Piranha jobs without doing constant swaps between the RR and Pirinha. The RR off and on is quick and simple and an under two or one minute job but the Piranha will require a couple wrenches or sockets and have never taken it off since I bought and mounted it.
Bottom line is I think I can use both of them for their intended purposes and have determined by extended use of both of them that they are not substitutes for each other. They are individually usable for specific purposes and with funding one should not have to decide which one to buy, put both of them on your to buy list. RR excels in leveling and straining out debris and rocks and the Piranha excels in digging and both do great in brush/extraction removal.
Some may say which one if one only has money for one. Depends on your needs and uses. Finish to seeding leveling/landscaping filtering out rocks and debris is RR all the way and digging with bucket and moving piles of material without adding or removing an implement is Piranha all the way.

/ RatchetRake or BXpanded Piranha Toothbar-BOTH #2  
Thanks for the write up, people seem to love the one they bought but this is the first explanation by someone who has had and uses both.

/ RatchetRake or BXpanded Piranha Toothbar-BOTH #3  
I've got the rr. I'd say one other key difference, in terms of removing brush, you could drag it out with a ratchet rake using the bottom set of teeth, chomp down and pull back. With the piranha you could only go forward. I know in my case, there are areas I can't just charge into and drive through, so it makes more sense to grab a bite and pull back out, repeat repeat, til it's all nice and neat like.

/ RatchetRake or BXpanded Piranha Toothbar-BOTH #4  
I have both.

The PB lives on my FEL bucket; I've never taken it off.

I used the RR - once. Now it serves as part of my 510lb weight block on the back of my box blade. Prolly would have been cheaper to just buy tractor weights. :(

/ RatchetRake or BXpanded Piranha Toothbar-BOTH #5  
RatchetPiranhaTooth.jpg

Bruce

/ RatchetRake or BXpanded Piranha Toothbar-BOTH #6  
I had a RR a few years ago...It wore out extremely fast and it was sent to the scrap metal pile. Wouldn't waste money on another one. I think that if you are scratching a lawn to re seed or pulling out a few vines..Its addiquate...but definitely a homeowner grade apparatus.

/ RatchetRake or BXpanded Piranha Toothbar-BOTH #7  
I've got the rr. I'd say one other key difference, in terms of removing brush, you could drag it out with a ratchet rake using the bottom set of teeth, chomp down and pull back. With the piranha you could only go forward. I know in my case, there are areas I can't just charge into and drive through, so it makes more sense to grab a bite and pull back out, repeat repeat, til it's all nice and neat like.

I've also had a Ratchet Rake for several years. Use the chomp down method on invasive Buckthorn. That darn stuff grows faster than Bamboo! :)

/ RatchetRake or BXpanded Piranha Toothbar-BOTH
I had a RR a few years ago...It wore out extremely fast and it was sent to the scrap metal pile. Wouldn't waste money on another one. I think that if you are scratching a lawn to re seed or pulling out a few vines..Its addiquate...but definitely a homeowner grade apparatus.

I'll have to say I totally disagree with you and I've owned three of them and used all three of them with no wear what so ever showing on them. They are and have been the most unbreakable and durable implement I own/owned bar none. It has taken extensive heavy usage to even wear the paint off of them. I own a rock laden hillside property with many many many rocks football size and up. I believe your post could qualify as the most off base post I've seen on TBN in my entire time on TBN.
I also agree with those who prefer the RR to pull back on brush/thorny bushes that can't safely be removed with forward attack. I have some fairly steep property and would never drive down the hillside and unable to drive up it without massive land/dirt moving.

/ RatchetRake or BXpanded Piranha Toothbar-BOTH #9  
Yeh, I have no idea how somebody could wear this sucker out "extremely fast". :confused:
What were you doing with it?

/ RatchetRake or BXpanded Piranha Toothbar-BOTH
Yeh, I have no idea how somebody could wear this sucker out "extremely fast". :confused:
What were you doing with it?

No answer.