Rats and Wiring

/ Rats and Wiring #1  

stephencd1959

Tractor
TYM 454
Good afternoon,

This year I purchased a TYM 454 HST Tractor new. My old Montana gave up the ghost.

A few days ago, when I went to get my tractor out of the barn, there were warning lights on the cluster that were not listed in the manual. They looked like the engine warning light except that they had an 兎xclamation mark in them. The left was blinking, the right was not. I tried both the paper and digital version of the manual. I was finally able to determine what the issue was. A rat, foul critter that they are, had chewed through the wiring of the connector on a glow plug. The wire was chewed through right at the connection making it impossible to re-wire it as there is no wire remaining with which to work with.

The dealer is telling me they don't sell the individual connectors so I need to buy an entire wiring harness to replace the one plug connector. There is of course the additional charge to do all the re-wiring. As since I also have no way to get it back to the dealer I'll have to pay them to haul it back and forth. As I have a back problem I simply cannot do the wiring myself. The option of spending a $1000.00 or more to fix this problem is not a viable solution. Not after having to replace my older brush hog (almost $2000.00) which spun out three different PTO shafts at $148.00 a pop in less than a month until I replaced it. (hog was only rated up to 40hp) My mistake for not noticing the horse power rating difference sooner. Plus a new hydraulic line when the backhoe outriggers slipped on the ground (no traction) hitting the arm against a large rock snapping off the connector on the line. Another almost $200.00 to replace the line. Then (almost $800.00) replacing the straight blade (60 inch) for a 72 inch which actually covers the width of the tire track. Just to take care and manage our property. I'm surprised my wife hasn't divorced me yet.

I contacted the company (N. Carolina) via email last night with the issue as well as the photos. Amazingly I received an email from them this morning. They are looking for a place where I might be able to purchase the connector, as well looking into the issue of shoes for the backhoe. But, I thought someone on here might have an idea as well.

Sorry for the long winded run. Just getting frustrated here in S/C Missouri.

Rat Damage (0).jpg

/ Rats and Wiring #2  
The only issue is a single 2 wire connector? If that dammaged connector dosnt directly connect into the back of say a gauge cluster or component i would start by removing both connectors and just but splice it for the time being.

As far as your other issues they just seam to be general issue with equipment. If you cant afford a $200 hydraulic hose then you shouldnt be owning a backhoe. For attachments being to small...well

/ Rats and Wiring #3  
O and tomcat rat/mice poisen. Put it in every corner of the building and not the pellets. The pellets they just take and hide in every knook and cranny.

/ Rats and Wiring #4  
For rats and mice try keeping your hood open. There's another thread on here for that being a solution.

I'd hit all forums that had that type engine/glo-plug combo. Reads like your dealer needs some money for Christmas. Splice it in the meantime if you can.

Looks like some careful work with a pocket knife or dremel could expose enough copper to splice it.

/ Rats and Wiring #5  
If i could, cut back the insulation a little to splice. If wires will be too short, add short piece to end. The pins in the connector can be pushed out with the right tool and new pins put on or spliced onto wire. Some connectors are very are to find. We have to buy connector kits.
$200 for a hose sounds very high. If it was a metal line, I can see that. On older machines, I have replaced broken metal lines with cheaper hoses.

/ Rats and Wiring #6  
I've been pretty lucky that rodents have kept away from my electics (dog, puppy, on the other hand, isn't complying!).

Rare that a connector cannot be separated from a connector. Usually there are barbs that can be released. If the existing wiring, when the damaged part is cut out, can reach then just put on a new lug (or maybe you can reuse the originals) and slip it back into the connector.

On my older VW TDIs it's fairly common for people to build their own harnesses (they're very simple). The trick part is in threading the GP end to get a small nut on it to hold on an "eye" terminal at the end of the new wire. For this system, however, it's just a single wire to the GP. Your tractor appears to have two wires, and I couldn't say for sure what the second one is doing, in which case you're probably going to have to continue to utilize that connector end.

/ Rats and Wiring
As hindsight is always 20/20 there are things I should have taken into account if I had thought about/known about possible issues. Obviously I didn't. My bad. I can only say that as a first time property owner (other than a house in a city) there are a lot of things I'm finding out, some in a very hard and shocking way. To include maintenance and repair of large (to me anyways) equipment. Just a bit of a shocker is all.

/ Rats and Wiring #8  
I started the thread about open hoods and no rats or mice. However - the open design of my Kubota M6040 - lifting the hood does not really make that much difference. Its a lot more significant for my Jeep and Ford pickup.

Not that it makes a hill of beans difference - but the two times I've had damage under the hood - new wiring harness for my brand new 1990 Chrysler( $875) and new windshield washer hose in the pickup - - both were done by mice, not rats.

Its been two months now since there has been any "rat sign" or any rats caught in the big rat traps. I continue to catch about one mouse per day in those big 'ol traps.

The very definite answer - for me, at least - barn cats. Neighbor is supposedly getting me three or four.

/ Rats and Wiring
Hey nyone. Yup, have been putting it in there, it's always disappearing. I'm assuming something is eating it but no carcass. Going to double what I've been using. Maybe that will be enough.

/ Rats and Wiring
Hi newbury, I was going to try that if I can't find a replacement connector for it. I fixed plenty of wiring on cars and trucks when I was younger. But I didn't have to lay on top of the engine to fix them. Not to mention parts were a little cheaper in the late 70's.