Rats and Wiring

/ Rats and Wiring #11  
I just had problems with an old F150 truck. It will turn over but not fire up. No sound from fuel pump. It has been sitting for about 2 months. I think rats, mice or something got to it. I have several cats outside. They have to be hungry to hunt.

/ Rats and Wiring #12  
I've also only noted issues with mice, not rats. I had rats running around some of my critter's pens, and found one dead under the house (but only ever one- I suspect I've gotten the holes closed up such that only the darned two-dimensional mice can get in!).

I keep the hood popped open and the seat tipped forward on my B7800 and that's kept the mice away: I used to regularly get them up on top of the fuel tank (cowling area in front of the dash). Found a new nest on top of my Ram 2500's engine. The truck was parked in the same spot for a while. I've found that moving vehicles around from time to time helps. I pray that nothing starts attacking my NX: every other piece of equipment (except cars, which are garaged) is equipped with simple diesel engines having next to no electronics (never cold enough here that I couldn't get by w/o glow plugs [or, in the case of my 12v Cummins, an air heater], though it's a bit tough on an engine to fire up this way).

Managing to survive the onslaughts of nature are all part of country living. And rodents aren't just country-pumpkins: wife's son's family just bought a house up in the greater Vancouver, BC suburbia and is battling mice: this made me and my wife somewhat chuckle.

If one has a rat issue then the best bet is to get a Rat Terrier! There's a dog for every job, and you cannot beat a good dog!

/ Rats and Wiring #13  

I've just been there with a car that sat for 11 mos with a full tank of gas and me putting of removing it. On a dare, we cut a hole in the trunk to access the fuel pump and found 3 of 4 wires chewed off right at the connector like the worst shown in the attachment above. Chevy uses yummy wire?

These newer waterproof connectors don't all disassemble easily to replace internal bits like those of yore. On the bench I soldered a few more inches onto the wee stubs remaining on the connector and covered 'em up with heat-shrink tubing.

So, a week later I was tilting my pickup box to get to a tank pressure sensor that scanned as low volts. ... and mice had chewed off all 3 wires from the sensor but not the 4 on the pump/fuel sender connector like the'd done under the car.

I covered up more for neatness with heat shrink tubing on the truck job. Here's how the car looks showing my gawky 'rainbow' extension/repair made of trailer wire. Note that I had to work right up to/at the connector.
IMG_1172.JPG

/ Rats and Wiring #14  
For rodent poisen use the block or house with the blocks in them. Also setting a few plain old Victor traps with a hair trigger will help. You have to check traps almost every day this time of year. The rodents come in hot and heavy this time of year.

/ Rats and Wiring #15  
I've just been there with a car that sat for 11 mos with a full tank of gas and me putting of removing it. On a dare, we cut a hole in the trunk to access the fuel pump and found 3 of 4 wires chewed off right at the connector like the worst shown in the attachment above. Chevy uses yummy wire?

These newer waterproof connectors don't all disassemble easily to replace internal bits like those of yore. On the bench I soldered a few more inches onto the wee stubs remaining on the connector and covered 'em up with heat-shrink tubing.

So, a week later I was tilting my pickup box to get to a tank pressure sensor that scanned as low volts. ... and mice had chewed off all 3 wires from the sensor but not the 4 on the pump/fuel sender connector like the'd done under the car.

I covered up more for neatness with heat shrink tubing on the truck job. Here's how the car looks showing my gawky 'rainbow' extension/repair made of trailer wire. Note that I had to work right up to/at the connector.
View attachment 576093

Many auto parts (ROCKAUTO) have new connectors and they come with 6-8 inch pig tales... for easy repair, just use butt connectors...

Been there done that, little rodent friend ate cam position sensor (actually under intake) on my Chevy truck and did same fix with the 1/4 of wire exposed at end of connector .... In future I think I will look for new plugs online before any attempt to repair...

Dale

/ Rats and Wiring #16  
Rodents got to my wife's Toyota Highlander to the tune of $10,000. Seats, headliner carpets, air bags, and assorted wiring. Insurance paid for all except for about $300.

On further checking I found out that manufacturers have switched from petroleum based rubber for wires, hoses, and other car parts to soy based. What rodent doesn't like a soybean diet! Now the garage smells like mothballs with one of those inaudible to humans devices and several traps. Hope this wor

/ Rats and Wiring #17  
Mice ate up the wiring on my brand new 1990 Chrysler about two weeks after we had it. The dealer said - lots and lots of problems like this for country folk - the wiring was soy based. The mice chewed thru the windshield washer hose on the pickup - simple replacement there.

/ Rats and Wiring #18  
I highly doubt that is a proprietary connector designed by TYM for exclusive use on your tractor, and only available from your local dealer as part of a wiring harness assembly. The engineers designing tractors would benefit from focusing their efforts on things other than minutiae like plug design and the bean counters would likely scoff at the notion of a dedicated assembly line for this one special plug.

No, they would more likely, and most often do, purchase standardized connectors from someone who specializes in production of standardized connectors, and use those connectors in their design, maybe or maybe not assigning them an in-house part number.

Check for any part numbers stamped on the connector, especially anything that says "DIN". Consult online visual connector cross-reference tables. Google all kinds connectors, I'll bet you find that your glow plug connector is the same connector that (fictitious example) Toyota used for the headlights on a '97 Tacoma and you can get the connector from eBay with wire pigtails for $6.50 delivered to your door, and it might even have the little butt splices included.

/ Rats and Wiring #20  
I posted links to the connectors earlier and then as I lay in bed I realized that wasn't really very helpful. You already have an intact connector. What you need is a "pigtail" with longer wires coming out, that you can splice into your harness. That proved to be a little harder to find because when a OEM uses a connector in an assembly like a harness or pigtail, they assign that assembly with their own part number and the connector part number is lost. you have to figure out who is using that connector, for what purpose, in what assembly, and a part number for that assembly. I did find one excellent source.

71UxWBFK7yL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It would seem that GM used the same connector for the fuel injectors on their 6.6L Duramax diesel engines for 2004/2005 year models, which had problems with the connectors melting so they switched to a different style, but that means that "injector wiring harness repair kits" for this engine are plentiful. Below is some Google fodder followed by several links to actual products which I strongly suspect will work for you. Again, I encourage you to verify the connector dimensions before purchasing, but I'm pretty confident this is it.

Duramax LLY LBZ LLM Fuel Injector Connector Harness 6.6L Chevrolet GMC

Amazon.com: Injector Wiring Harness Repair Pigtail Connector 6.6l LLY 24.5-25 Duramax: Automotive

Amazon.com: ACDelco PT2183 GM Original Equipment Black Multi-Purpose Pigtail: Automotive

Amazon.com: Fuel Injector Connector Harness Plug Wire Pigtail For 6.6L Duramax LLY LBZ PT2183 (8-Pack): Automotive