Rattle in PTO

/ Rattle in PTO
I just looked on Wengers site and their price for a used one is $135 and they don't have one in stock.
Bill

/ Rattle in PTO #22  
jerry,

sliding gear and coupling is what you have seen in the diagrams that is hand operated by sliding a fork in an out. On mine I do have an ORC (internal) and sliding gear coupler to activates it. On John Deere they call some of the mechanical operated pto with double clutch "independent" . the difference is the foot pedal is not two stage and separate hand clutch activates the pto. you can check their 5000 series that have that configuration. Pretty much the rest call independent when the main clutch is single. There are two input shafts, inner and outer. the pto shaft is directly splined to the crankshaft so any time engine is on pto is turning. The coupling of this shaft is done by a set of hydraulically activate wet clutch pack. the actuation is done either by a switch to open up a solenoid to provide hyd pressure or by a mechanical arm. the mechanical arm only opens a hyd valve. It is obvious in "independent PTO" a sliding gear would have issue as you can press the clutch all the way and the internal pto shaft keeps on turning.

jc,

The parts list I looked at called it a "clutch" and it appeared to actuated by a lever.

/ Rattle in PTO #23  
The parts list I looked at called it a "clutch" and it appeared to actuated by a lever.

yes Jerry. anytime yo couple two shaft rotation together y can call it clutch. when gears are meshing together to transfer the torque either you have to have synchronizer so gears don't grind or you have to stop rotation of both shafts. what you saw on the parts breakdown requires main clutch pedal to be pressed all the way down. The difference between live and independent pto is that in independent pto can be activated while driving pto shaft is turning unlike live.

jc,

/ Rattle in PTO #24  
I just looked on Wengers site and their price for a used one is $135 and they don't have one in stock.
Bill

I wish they had a good one in stock. That's the kind of work you don't want to do twice so I agree it is better to bite the bullet once. A broken gear can also damage the mating gear as well down the road.

JC,

/ Rattle in PTO
I got the gear from Messicks on Fri (verry fast) and put every thin back to gether Sat. Today I mowed about 5acres with the finish mower and every thing seems fine:thumbsup:
Bill

/ Rattle in PTO #26  
I got the gear from Messicks on Fri (verry fast) and put every thin back to gether Sat. Today I mowed about 5acres with the finish mower and every thing seems fine:thumbsup:
Bill

cool,:)

I consider what you had a bit of inconvenience and cost of doing business. Glad you got her back together. Were you able to verify ORC on double clutch. On TC-30 they clearly identify "Live pto minus clutch (ORC)". Older shibaura of our vintage might have had it.

JC,

/ Rattle in PTO #27  
Bill

Glad you got going again.I'd sure like to know why that gear failed like it did. I'd guess it was not properly heat treated.

/ Rattle in PTO
Jc, it has an orc. I had it out and inspected it. They call it a clutch but there is no clutch. It is more like a bearing assembly that rolls freely in one direction and locks in the other like a sprag. I thought about dissambling it to see how it worked but decided against it.
Bill

/ Rattle in PTO #29  
Jc, it has an orc. I had it out and inspected it. They call it a clutch but there is no clutch. It is more like a bearing assembly that rolls freely in one direction and locks in the other like a sprag. I thought about dissambling it to see how it worked but decided against it.
Bill

Bill,

I'm sure what you have seen is the ORC as they call it clutch same as pictured below.

I'm sure Shibaura has changed something in their new TC line. Look at the attached PDF from NH site. They do clearly say the PTO configuration for TC30 in 3 flavors, HST, live and transmission driven.

They say 9x3 transmission, Less one way (aka, ORC),and double clutch. I read it that no ORC is used for "Live PTO".

Again, PTO mechanism should not propel the tractor forward since there is no interconnection to the transmission. It might be that they don't want to shock flywheel, crankshaft should the tractor come to an immediate stop.

It is different, unless I'm totally off the mark.

JC,

Attachments

• TC30 PTO gear.pdf
    176 KB · Views: 409