Re: Tire ballast choice?

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #42  

There is a foam load for a tire that is high density and not liquid. but it's spendy, and has it's own issues.

What are the issues you are referring to?
I've been considering thsi option as that is what I am used to running in construction vehicles. I now it's expensive and a PITA when you change tires but I like the idea of extra weight and no flats to worry about. I live up in NW Nebraska and the freezing issue with liquids concerns me as we can get pretty chilly around here.

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #43  

I'd pay the extra and go with Rimguard. Had it in my tires for six years and wish I had done it from day 1...

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #44  

Cast iron weights are the only way to go!

The nice thing about filled tires is that the ballast adds little/ no strain on the axle assemblies.

The added weight is on the ground adding tractive force without applying leverage to the axles.

I intend to run about 1500# off the 3 pt in addition to the RG filled fronts and rears. Someone mentioned that hauling a heavy ballast on your 3pt all the time will ruin the seals in the hydraulics causing 3 pt leak down at low idle or when the tractor's off.

I've never heard of this, and always have something heavy hangin' off the darn thing with no issues.

Thoughts???

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #45  

Cast iron weights are the only way to go!

The nice thing about filled tires is that the ballast adds little/ no strain on the axle assemblies.

The added weight is on the ground adding tractive force without applying leverage to the axles.

I intend to run about 1500# off the 3 pt in addition to the RG filled fronts and rears. Someone mentioned that hauling a heavy ballast on your 3pt all the time will ruin the seals in the hydraulics causing 3 pt leak down at low idle or when the tractor's off.

I've never heard of this, and always have something heavy hangin' off the darn thing with no issues.

Thoughts???

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #46  

I want to put WWF in my David Brown tractor tires sometime this summer but some things I have read on TBN made me think twice. So I put a gallon of -20 degree WWF outside on the concrete steps with no windchill protection and kept an eye on it all winter. Our coldest night here was -15 degree F. It never froze nor got even close to solidifying. :thumbsup: That is proof to me that I will be okay putting it in the tires.

I have RimGuard in the L3800 and am glad I got it, but if I got a puncture I see no way to salvage the beetjuice during repairs. :eek:

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #47  

I reciently bought a MF TO35 with CaCl in all tires , I need to replace one front tire,
How do I get the Ca Cl out ? And then how do I dispose of it?
Thank for any help in advance
Rich

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #48  

I reciently bought a MF TO35 with CaCl in all tires , I need to replace one front tire,
How do I get the Ca Cl out ? And then how do I dispose of it?
Thank for any help in advance
Rich

air up tire, pull the rim. put it so that stem is down and aimed into a plastic trash can. spin out the valve core.. pressure will expell the water. if you hold it right.. you will get all but a tablespoon or so.

dispose? got a gravel road you don't want grass growing in?

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #49  

So many thoughts on this thread ,firstly the only unit I ever used without tubes was a PITA until tubes were added (a combine ,no fluid) ,before it was mentioned at about post 30 I had been thinking why all this debate when weight is so clean and simple ,can't weight be added to these stamped out tin wheels unlike cast agriculture wheels we had 6 sets at 150 pounds each on our 1206 over 40 years ago plus CACL and 1000 lbs of suitcase weights ,with tubes they last more years than tractors will last .Until I read this tread I had only heard of water and CACL or pure water that was in a tractor that came north from the deep south.
As I read about all this counter balancing using a front end loader I question how the front axle would be strong enough to hold the load plus the counter weights or is it just so you can run around in road gear with the bucket up high. I do have a front end loader and it is a fair size has a 7 ft bucket and lifts at least 17 ft high and even with duals is unstable .

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #50  

Since I need freeze protection down to about -25°F, I am looking at either sugar water or Propylene Glycol . Looks like a 5 gal pail on AMZ is $110 & would make 20 gal. A lot cheaper than buying the Sierra antifreeze or equivilent.

Or I have thought about buying sugar when it goes on sale for 99¢/4 lb and pouring it into water.

I know that WWF [Window Washer Fluid] is cheaper, but it is not as heavy. What I'd really like to find is a 50 lb damaged bag of sugar somewhere.