Ready to Order This Month - But what to order?

/ Ready to Order This Month - But what to order? #11  
<font color="red"> I eagerly await your evaluation of both types. </font>

Last year, when I only had turfs, we set records for rainfall. I figure if I mount bar treads, it will cause a drought. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Ready to Order This Month - But what to order? #12  
I have the truf tires and have had no problems. As you have seen from the many projects I have posted, turf tires have been a real asset. My main concern working on grass surface is that I would not leave any damage which has been the case.
PJ

/ Ready to Order This Month - But what to order? #13  
Charlie, I would also like to hear how bar treads do on the lawn. Like you, I have turfs on the 1430 and have had no traction issues except in mud. Last year I tried to mow a small ski slope that belongs to a club that I'm a director of. Thought I would show off the new PT but could only make it half way up where it got wet and those tires filled up and I just sat there spinning. Another guy had to finish with his ag tractor. Man, was that embarrasing. Trouble is, at least half the work I do is on custormer's lawns and thats why I got the turfs. I guess I could have a set of each mounted on rims but that would be a little pricey.

/ Ready to Order This Month - But what to order? #14  
<font color="red"> I guess I could have a set of each mounted on rims but that would be a little pricey.
</font>
That's what I'm doing, and it does bruise the budget. I suspect the turfs will just sit in the shed for the duration.
I won't be mowing the lawn with the PT, but will try to watch how the bar treads do on the pasture grass and post something. My recollection is there was an old post where someone said the machine is pretty gentle on turf even with the bar treads.
Was that you Sedgewood?

/ Ready to Order This Month - But what to order? #15  
<font color="red"> My recollection is there was an old post where someone said the machine is pretty gentle on turf even with the bar treads.
Was that you Sedgewood? </font>

I don't recall. One's definition of "gentle" and "damage"may come into play here. Attached is a picture I just took of bar tread impressions left in soft spring turf a few days ago. The turf is clearly impressed to the full depth of the tread. One can turn gently while moving and not actually tear the turf loose. Turning while stationary will tear it up a bit when the soil is this soft. In the summer on hard soil you can move about without much concern for damage. For me and my wild uncared for "turf" this level of disruption is not "damage." Especially in light of how much time I have spent tootling about up to the belly pan in mud. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Folks cultivating a manicured look would be unhappy with bar treads, at least in the spring. If I had a "lawn" like normal folk I'd need a second set of wheels with turfs. Or better yet, a second PT. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sedgewood

Attachments

• 405964-P4091241turfdamage.jpg
    405964-P4091241turfdamage.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 182
   / Ready to Order This Month - But what to order? #16  
PTRich,

You might want to try Mobil 1 20W50 in your machine. We change all our equipment to this oil and it improves performance a great deal. I understand Mobil 1 is coming with 5W50 and 0W50 which might work better in your area. Mobil 1 20W50 is thiner than standard 5W30 in cold weather and thicker than 10W40 in hot conditions. Since the oil film is thicker when your machine is hot, less oil slips thru the motors without doing work, thus efficency is improved and your machine will climb better, run cooler, and last longer. In my opinion its worth the extra 200 to $500 to change the oil. I understand PT not using Mobil 1 as standard, most folks would complain about the cost of this "expensive" oil. You might want to give it a try.
EB

/ Ready to Order This Month - But what to order? #17  
Do you think the Mobil 1 synthetic would last much longer then the 500 hr. change period.

/ Ready to Order This Month - But what to order? #18  
I decided on the 425 when I picked up my machine because of the heavy work I would be doing for the first 3 years. So far I am very satisfied with the unit. I do believe the current 422 machine is a little bit smaller then the previous model. Terry showed me a 422 that was on sale which was the last and the same size as the 425. He said all new production would be different.

/ Ready to Order This Month - But what to order? #19  
I have kept with the standard type oil but change oil every 50 hours. This should outlast my lifetime. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Ready to Order This Month - But what to order? #20  
Do you mean the oil or filter every 50 hours