Rear Ballast Weight DIY Build

/ Rear Ballast Weight DIY Build #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I've come to the realization that my new Massey Ferguson 4707 tractor needs some weight in it's rear when I'm moving dirt on my land. It's really bad when I'm going downhill and stopping before dumping the bucket. It feels like the tractor wants to flip over, and a few times, I'm positive that one or both of the rear tires have come off the ground.

Rear wheel weights are my first choice, but for just a couple hundred pounds, the prices are ridiculous. I haven't contacted my dealer, I just looked online, and it's over a grand for something that really isn't heavy enough in my opinion.

My next option is a ballast box. I saw some online that where made of metal and you fill them up with concrete, or whatever else you want to use. They seem to be OK, but the cost is $225 to over $350. That might not be a bad deal. I'm still thinking on that. My tractor has Cat 2 pins, so I would need bushings, which I have, or I could replace the pins. I'm just a bit nervous about the metal that the pins are attached to, and if they will hold up over time? and if the metal will start to rust and then the concrete inside will begin to move around?

Then there is the low cost option of making my own ballast box from a plywood frame around a 3 point hitch. I kind of like this idea the best. To me, the concrete would have something to hold onto instead of being in a metal box that might rust out, or fall apart. The pins are attached to solid metal that goes through the middle of the box, which seems a lot stronger to me. At $52, I don't see how I can buy the metal and weld something together for this price. With free delivery, it seems like a no brainer.

What am I missing or over thinking?

/ Rear Ballast Weight DIY Build
I decided to order the 3 point receiver hitch and a pair of Cat 2 pins from Amazon for $73.02

Once it gets here I'll build the plywood frame and pour concrete.

/ Rear Ballast Weight DIY Build #3  
Have you thought about a plastic 55 gallon barrel? I built mine fairly easy and filled 3/4 of the way it weighs 927#. I'm sure if I had filled it with concrete it would about 1K or more. I also obtained an old records safe for free when a Dr. office moved and didn't want to pay to move it. It is concrete lined and weighs over 1K. I just had to weld on some lifting points.
Safe 1030#.JPG
Barrel 927#.JPG

Last edited:
How do you attach the barrel to the tractor?

/ Rear Ballast Weight DIY Build #5  
Good thinking on 3 pt ballast for fel., makes a world of difference. I use about 1700lbs on 3 pt of 5085e with no liquid in rear tires, 2 wheel weights/tire though.
One thing to remember your going to have to keep the 3pt frame way towards the front of the concrete so the concrete doesn’t block your lower arms from reaching the pins. If you keep the pins towards the center of concrete you could angle the concrete in to allow the arms to reach pins. How much weight are you thinking?

/ Rear Ballast Weight DIY Build #6  
I built a steel frame inside the barrel using scrap rectangle tubing, a piece of 1" bar stock and came out the front for the top link. I also added more steel out the back and added a hook for a chain. Sorry for the blurry pics. Its cold out here and I must have been shaking a little. Don't pay attention to the dates. I didn't reset the camera.
DSCN2331.JPG
DSCN2332.JPG
DSCN2333.JPG

...How much weight are you thinking?
I have 1,000 pounds in my head, but it will really depend on how big the box is that I make to pour the concrete into. I'll buy a full pallet of 56 sacks that weigh 60 pounds each and use as many as I can. The rest will go towards fencing. I buy a lot of pallets of concrete!!!

/ Rear Ballast Weight DIY Build #8  
Are you sure that you need all that weight? Sometimes just a Back Blade, waterfilled Spiker, a loaded Carry-All, Tiller etc. is all that you need to feel safe and it's something that you already have and paid for. Just thinking.....:unsure:

Cheers,
Mike

/ Rear Ballast Weight DIY Build #10  
I bought a box online, about $225 IIRR...
LOL, never used as a ballast box, unless you count the weight of some hand tools etc. And at that, only a handful of times. Just sitting in the barn looking all shiny...