Mid-Mount Mower Rear finish mower vs MMM?

/ Rear finish mower vs MMM? #11  
One other thing you should consider is the contour of your property. Is it flat and how many obstacles (trees, buildings, etc.)? I have a 2520 and have been running a 72 inch rear finish mower on it to mow 2 acres. My property is virtually all hills, some as steep as 20 degrees. I have wheel weights on the tractor, but it still has a hard time keeping enough traction on the hills and the rear mower drags it sideways and the machine spins the rear wheels when turning on the hills.

Running in four wheel drive pretty much solves the problem, but I don't think it's good for the tractor (or at least the front tires) to run in FWD constantly. Therefore, I just bit the bullet and bought a 62D MMM. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but my thought (hope) is that having the 300 lbs or so of that mower hanging from the bottom of the machine will solve the traction issues. Also, I think it will be more maneuverable in most situations, although I will miss being able to back under trees and into corners.

Incidentally, if you've done any searching about the 62D mower, you've found the threads regarding the front gauge wheels leaving "divots" in the grass. The unit I just bought has the "official" JD fix that is now shown in the parts diagrams on the JD website. This includes front gauge wheels with a round profile, instead of the square-shouldered ones like are on the rear. It also includes grease zerks on the wheel caster. Also, the new, round-shouldered wheels DO have grease zerks on their axles. See attached pic of the new setup.

Sorry I can't provide a direct comparison yet, but I will report back after I have a chance to use the new mower. Running a lighter rear finish mower might be another way to solve this problem. Best of luck in your decision.

Attachments

• 100_0155 B.JPG
    100_0155 B.JPG
    358.4 KB · Views: 371
   / Rear finish mower vs MMM? #12  
I'm also a fan of the rear mount mowers. They do a fine job mowing, are (as others have written) easy to hook up and you can back under overhanging branches if you have any.
They are also considerably cheaper then a mid-mount mower.
I've had a 60" Befco for about 5 or 6 years. Other then greasing and replacing the belts once, it's been a very fine mower. I should go for a 72" mower (with my 790's PTO HP), but I can't justify spending the money when I have such an outstanding mower now.

/ Rear finish mower vs MMM? #13  
I have both a rear mount mower and a MMM.
The quality of cut is equally good on both.
I prefer the rear mount mower. Much easier to install remove.

/ Rear finish mower vs MMM? #14  
For me, the mid-mount is the way to go. Its not that bad to put on/off, and its not like you need it on the tractor more than once per week (less in the winter here in MN). Also, on my JD4100, the loader can be used with it on for quick chores (if you are not off-roading its fine).

For leaf-collection, mid-mount is a must.

I keep my trees trimmed up, so backing under them is not an issue.

- Rick

/ Rear finish mower vs MMM? #15  
I have both. Now I mostly use the rear mower because its easy-on easy-off
Advantage of the MMM is that I can hook on the Leaf/Grass vacuum to suck debris 72" at a time. IMHO the best mower is the MMM hooked up to the front loader brackets. I'm currently collecting parts to run a hyraulic drive on the MMM. This way, I can offset the mower deck to slide under my evergreen trees. I should still be able to run a discharge hose back to the vacuum, to.

/ Rear finish mower vs MMM? #16  
zzvyb6 said:
I have both. Now I mostly use the rear mower because its easy-on easy-off
Advantage of the MMM is that I can hook on the Leaf/Grass vacuum to suck debris 72" at a time. IMHO the best mower is the MMM hooked up to the front loader brackets. I'm currently collecting parts to run a hyraulic drive on the MMM. This way, I can offset the mower deck to slide under my evergreen trees. I should still be able to run a discharge hose back to the vacuum, to.

Now that would be a blivit worth seeing.

/ Rear finish mower vs MMM?
Runner said:
One other thing you should consider is the contour of your property. Is it flat and how many obstacles (trees, buildings, etc.)? I have a 2520 and have been running a 72 inch rear finish mower on it to mow 2 acres. My property is virtually all hills, some as steep as 20 degrees. I have wheel weights on the tractor, but it still has a hard time keeping enough traction on the hills and the rear mower drags it sideways and the machine spins the rear wheels when turning on the hills.

Running in four wheel drive pretty much solves the problem, but I don't think it's good for the tractor (or at least the front tires) to run in FWD constantly. Therefore, I just bit the bullet and bought a 62D MMM. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but my thought (hope) is that having the 300 lbs or so of that mower hanging from the bottom of the machine will solve the traction issues. Also, I think it will be more maneuverable in most situations, although I will miss being able to back under trees and into corners.

Incidentally, if you've done any searching about the 62D mower, you've found the threads regarding the front gauge wheels leaving "divots" in the grass. The unit I just bought has the "official" JD fix that is now shown in the parts diagrams on the JD website. This includes front gauge wheels with a round profile, instead of the square-shouldered ones like are on the rear. It also includes grease zerks on the wheel caster. Also, the new, round-shouldered wheels DO have grease zerks on their axles. See attached pic of the new setup.

Sorry I can't provide a direct comparison yet, but I will report back after I have a chance to use the new mower. Running a lighter rear finish mower might be another way to solve this problem. Best of luck in your decision.

My property is flat with no trees to mow under/around. With the difference in price it looks like I am leaning towards the RFM and using the saving towards a snow plow attachment;)

/ Rear finish mower vs MMM? #18  
When I bought my tractor a few years ago, I got the 60" 3pt. I liked the on/off ease of it but since my daughter was doing the grass cutting and she did not want to use the rear mount (she didn't like getting around the trees and other obstacles with it) I traded it for a 60" MMM.

After adding an oil filter cover it made it more difficult to get the MMM off/on (hooking up the PTO was the biggest issue) I traded the MMM for a Simplicity mower.

I will say it is my personal preference to have the rear mount though and will be buying one in the near future to be used on some property a good distance from my residence. I'll haul the tractor but leave the mower there.

If you add a rear mount you might need to add some ballast to the front (i.e. loaded tires).

/ Rear finish mower vs MMM? #19  
I have mowed with both. For ME, the MMM is much preferred over the rear. The problem with the rear, is that it will always take a wider turning path than the MMM. Since I only Weed Wack once every month, and don't own a push mower, the added time to mow with the rear finish was about double because of all the backing up to get close to the trees, etc.

Last year, was my first year with a MMM and a FEL tractor. My MMM raises high enough, that I never needed to remove it to do any "tractor work". Obviously, if I was using it to clear land or something, I would have to remove it. But, for average grading, moving dirt, rocks, etc, it never got in the way.

/ Rear finish mower vs MMM? #20  
Runner - have you had the chance to use the 62D yet? I was wondering what your thoughts are versus the 72" RFM. Do you find the 62D follows the contours of the land as well as the RFM?
Thanks!