Mid-Mount Mower Rear finish mower vs MMM?

/ Rear finish mower vs MMM? #21  
...My property is virtually all hills, some as steep as 20 degrees. I have wheel weights on the tractor, but it still has a hard time keeping enough traction on the hills and the rear mower drags it sideways and the machine spins the rear wheels when turning on the hills.

For safety shouldn't the hills be mowed up and down? Especially if the mower is dragging the tractor around.

Running in four wheel drive pretty much solves the problem, but I don't think it's good for the tractor (or at least the front tires) to run in FWD constantly.

If your not on pavement it shouldn't matter about having 4WD engaged.

Therefore, I just bit the bullet and bought a 62D MMM. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but my thought (hope) is that having the 300 lbs or so of that mower hanging from the bottom of the machine will solve the traction issues...

When you are mowing this 300 lbs. will be on the ground with minimal weight on the tractor.

/ Rear finish mower vs MMM? #22  
jfrady,

Check some of my other posts for more specifics, however, my general conclusion was that I like the RFM better. In my opinion, it gives a better quality of cut, follows the terrain better and is better for getting under trees and into corners (plus, it cuts a wider path, 72 inches versus 62).

Having the weight of the MMM on the tractor did help some with traction, but not enough that I could forego the use of 4WD.

I find the advantages of the RFM outweigh the aforementioned disadvantages and for this reason have gone back to using the RFM as my primary mower while keeping the 62D as a backup and for it's mulching abilities, should I need them in the future.

Micropilot,

Yes, theoretically, mowing up and down the steep areas is best, but I have many areas where there are obstacles that prevent it. So I do what I have to do to git R done.

You're probably right, running in 4WD all the time on grass probably doesn't wear the fronts out that much faster, but it must wear them a little more since slippage has to occur to keep the drivetrain from binding. Also, turning in 4WD does tend to tear up the grass more.

The 62D is suspended from the tractor all the time, except when you are in a situation where the gauge wheels are hitting an uneven surface. So normally, all of the weight of the mower is on the tractor.

/ Rear finish mower vs MMM? #23  
I have 60" MMM for home and use 3pt finish mover to cut grass in our hunting club.

Each has it's own, but there are places at home where I would never use 3pt. For instance cutting grass in the vineyard, it is hard enough to get by my babied grapes with the MMM, and it gives me creeps to imagine bringing between those rows a 3pt mover.

But for getting under trees and to the pond - I got stuck in mud more than once - the 3pt mover would be much better and safer. My plan is to eventually get a brush hog to deal with the grass by the pond and under bushes.

/ Rear finish mower vs MMM? #24  
There have been several posts, mine included, about the MMM throwing dry clippings so as to clog the outside and inside radiator screens. I am using a mulcher kit on the mmm and it has helped with that problem. The clogging issue was not a one day thing, but a get off and clean it every 30 minutes or so thing. Some posters said the clogging was not an issue for them and others, myself included, said it was.

I really like the MMM for manueverability. Really nice to work around the Oaks. Do not have a rear mower for the 2320 but at this point don't think I will buy one. I have an MX6 for the 5203 for heavy applications so am not stuck with a MMM for everything.

The 62D, while not a quick attach by any means, is not that big of a deal to take on and off in my opinion.