Recommendations for wood chipper for small material

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #31  
Well, at least wear padded gloves, and take breaks.

Dupuytren's, its related disease in feet, Ledderhose's, knuckle pads, Peyronie disease, are all related to disordered collagen being deposited by cells (fibromyocytes) in response to physical stress, such as vibration, constant holding such as griping handlebar on a bike or steering wheels, or other tools, rubbing, or cold, or even heightened immune response (inflammation) to other things. While there are treatments, none of the current ones are curative, so be careful if there is a family history of the diseases, which may be related. It is genetic, plus other factors like exposure to gripping or vibration work, but the factors are not fully known at the moment.

And, yes two parents without it can have kids who all have it. The genetics of the diseases are really weird, like belts in Belted Galloways.

All the best,

Peter

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #32  
The last time we burned it was AG required and by the book...

Burn Day, Permit in Hand... even notified County FD.

It made no difference... the city rolled fire engines even being outside the city, rangers responded, Cal Fire put up a helicopter... quite an exciting day.

Again.. all legal and required as diseased trees cannot be moved off property and code is burning.

City said they got so many 911 calls they sent two engine companies outside city limits...

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #33  
With the power feed chipper, once the feed wheels have caught the material, I can let go and let it feed. Once I understood the sounds the chipper makes I could get material started and then go fetch the next piece off the pile while the chipper eats the last one.

I don't like to have the tractor revving away and not doing work, so my preference is to stage the material in piles. Sometimes I can use the grapple to do it, sometimes its by hand. Everything get piled with the butts in the correct direction to go in the chipper butt first. Everything gets trimmed so it'll fit into the chipper. At least that's the idea.Sometimes I get one wrong and have to set it aside to get chainsawed. With well prepared piles I can keep the chipper busy by myself until the pile is gone.

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #34  
This works well for the after Christmas cleanup...

Well matched to the L3800 and the Stihl AP battery chainsaw for snags.

Attachments

• D7296040-B902-4534-B058-772B3558F5A0.jpeg
    D7296040-B902-4534-B058-772B3558F5A0.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
   / Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #35  

Dupuytren's, its related disease in feet, Ledderhose's, knuckle pads, Peyronie disease, are all related to disordered collagen being deposited by cells (fibromyocytes) in response to physical stress, such as vibration, constant holding such as griping handlebar on a bike or steering wheels, or other tools, rubbing, or cold, or even heightened immune response (inflammation) to other things. While there are treatments, none of the current ones are curative, so be careful if there is a family history of the diseases, which may be related. It is genetic, plus other factors like exposure to gripping or vibration work, but the factors are not fully known at the moment.

And, yes two parents without it can have kids who all have it. The genetics of the diseases are really weird, like belts in Belted Galloways.

All the best,

Peter
If you are born to drown, have no fear of fire!

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #36  
   / Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #37  
If I were genetically predisposed to Dupuytren's disease I suspect that with the amount of motorcycle, bicycle riding, chain sawing, and chipping I have done I would have a diagnosis by now. None-the-less feeding < 3" branches into the chipper on my <10hp is a palsey-inducing exercise; my 6" PTO Salsco chipper is gravity fed, but far easier to feed with less vibration. The comparative performaces of a Troy-Built Chippewa (10hp) and PTO driven Wallenstein were similar.

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material

All the best,

Peter
Peter, I doubt I am at risk - I am now 80, and 50 years of using a variety of vibrating tools including hammer drills etc. without consequences. Also, for what it's worth - the chipper we bought has a hydraulic feeder and checking the manual online I learned that you are not supposed to be forcing wood into it but instead just put it in the hopper and let it draw it it. Should make a difference re this issue I would think. We shall see, but thanks for the information - I had no knowledge of the condition.

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #39  
You must not garden......
I actualy do and my garden is built on wood chips...why make the chips when they deliver them for free?

I have over 400cu yards of chips on my property and didnt pay a dime.

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #40  
I actualy do and my garden is built on wood chips...why make the chips when they deliver them for free?

I have over 400cu yards of chips on my property and didnt pay a dime.
You have no need of a chipper or a shredder.
Though I have run chips obtained from the line crews through the shredder to "better"* the texture as mulch.

* My wife determined that the chips were better after reprocessing. ;-)