Recommendations for wood chipper for small material

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #42  
I actualy do and my garden is built on wood chips...why make the chips when they deliver them for free?

I have over 400cu yards of chips on my property and didnt pay a dime.
I get free chips as well, but I own a chipper.

Why? 100% fire reduction. There are always limbs coming down, trees that need pruning etc. Here, it is not prudent to leave downed wood because of wildfire risk. Hence, all of my trimmings get reduced in volume, and composted back in the soil.

Different needs in different locations...

All the best,

Peter

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #43  
why make the chips when they deliver them for free?
The local tree company constantly asks me if I want free chips delivered. I'd like them but turn it down.

My arborist advised to only use chips from material I process on the property. If the chips come from other places, you don't always know what is riding in with it. Various plant diseases, etc.

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material
The local tree company constantly asks me if I want free chips delivered. I'd like them but turn it down.

My arborist advised to only use chips from material I process on the property. If the chips come from other places, you don't always know what is riding in with it. Various plant diseases, etc.
I have read that if you plan to use your own chips for mulch you should wait a year or so (let them age in place) as otherwise the fresh chips can leach nitrogen from your soil.

We will have a lot of chips and I am now wondering if I can use those for some erosion control in some areas - also on roads we cut in the back country.

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #45  
A friend was advised by his landscaper to avoid darkly dyed or black mulch as it often included wood from building renovations or demolitions that was bearing lead [and other metals] from old paint.

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #46  
I have read that if you plan to use your own chips for mulch you should wait a year or so (let them age in place) as otherwise the fresh chips can leach nitrogen from your soil.

We will have a lot of chips and I am now wondering if I can use those for some erosion control in some areas - also on roads we cut in the back country.
Chips are high in carbon, low in nitrogen, so yes, the natural composting will draw down some of the nitrogen in the soil. It goes both ways. If you have a cattle yard, or places where animals congregate to pee, chips will absorb the urine, and decay faster, while capturing more of the nitrogen for later use.

I also use chips to hold soil moisture for trees, and a little chicken manure, or other source of nitrogen goes a long way.

If you age the chips in place, turning the piles and keeping them moist will speed up the process, and more completely compost the material. Pallet forks work great, but a bucket or tiller can do a lot.

All the best,

Peter

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #47  

I love redwood chips but hard to come by on a regular basis...

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #48  
The chip drops I get have a decent amount of greenery in them, lots of shredded oak leaves and pine needles. I realize this isn't a lot of nitrogen compared the the carbon content, but it's something. I've been filling my chicken run with chips, and have found it to be a perfect bedding for them - chicken poop doesn't accumulate on the surface but ends up breaking up and falling through the top layer - the chips on top stay very dry, but scratch the surface and the chips are obviously rapidly breaking down. Basically twice a year I scoop it out and it becomes a "compost/dirt pile" (which the chickens help turn when they're outside) and I put "new" chips into the coop. Of course my "new" chips that are sitting in a big pile are themselves already starting to turn into soil, I keep the best and newest ones for garden paths and the older danker ones go into the chicken coop.

I really wanted a chipper for a long time and definitely wouldn't turn down a gift but I've done enough clearing on my land by hand & fire that it's no longer economically reasonable for me to buy a new one for what's left (at least that's my thought, though what's the resale like for 3ph chippers?). Considering the stuff I have isn't typically very straight (lots of scrub oak) I was looking at a 8800 type

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material
Again, thanks for all the advice. I just learned that my Woodland Mills WC68 arrives on Tuesday. In advance of that I downloaded and read the manual, watched four Youtube videos about the unit (and learned about a nice safety feature), and bought the required hydraulic oil (it runs the automatic feeder) so I should be somewhat good to go. I also required that the rest of the family - those who will likely assist with some of the work - also watch the videos. We have a lot of work ahead of us. I rely on you all so much I think I would be wandering around in perpetual confusion without this forum.

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #50  
I received mine 2 weeks ago. Been raining mostly since, but was able to get it assembled, fluid filled, PTO shaft cut to size and did a dry test run. No leaks and the unit is very quiet. The packaging was amazing. I really like how the shoot folds onto itself for transport through the woods, and parking takes up very little room.
Got 4 trees on the ground this past weekend, so when the weather
finally clears, we'll be chippin.
Patrick