red flashing alternator light

/ red flashing alternator light
I want to thank all of you for your help. The problem turned out to be the new battery although I'm not convinced there was anything really wrong with the first new battery other than causing the alternator light to flash. Both batteries tested good on the load test, recharged ok and started the tractor, but Rural King gave me a replacement. The red light is very sensitive and reacts differently to each of the three batteries which may have something to do with the diode.

/ red flashing alternator light #12  
Does this mean you still have not checked your alternator output?

Yes I have checked my alternator output at idle 15.85 volts.

/ red flashing alternator light #14  
Shazam! 15.8 at idle! I'd hate to be that battery at throttle, assuming it goes higher!

I imagine.. 14.7 is about all they would like to see...

Soundguy

/ red flashing alternator light #15  
Yep, will fry some electronics if it has any as well. Has to be a bad regulator. or wiring if external regulator.

Ben

Shazam! Is that bad? I'll check that voltage again and take the regulator off and get it checked. Thanks

/ red flashing alternator light #17  
If your alternator is capable of putting out more than a 2-4 amps of current then the high voltage reading is bad and will at the least damage or shorten your battery life. Many smaller lawnmower type engines are unregulated and might put out higher voltages when charging, but do not put out enough current to cook the battery.
Ben

The 15.85 volts was with the first new battery in the system that made the red light flash. Checking the same with the second new battery I get 12.99 both at idle and at 2000 rpm at the battery. I don't know why the battery would effect alternator output if the voltage regulator was working but the system seems to be working now without any burnt our lights or hot wiring.

/ red flashing alternator light #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I get 12.99 both at idle and at 2000 rpm at the battery )</font>

Hmm.. now another quandry... while 15.8v was 'way high'.. 12.9v is a 'tad low' for charge voltage.. especially 12.9 at high idle. Should really be higher to charge a 12v batter.. more in the 13.2 + to 14.4 14.7 etc. I.E. .. you need more than 12v to charge a 12v battery.. it's an electron/ (potential)/current flow issue...

Do a static voltage check. Check battery volts with tractor and ignition off and see where it sets. then leave meter attatched and check as you start it. Batter 'off' should be 12.5v or so.. then drop during starting.. then jump almost immediatly to 13+v.

Soundguy

/ red flashing alternator light #20  
Is your regulator a mechanical? I've seen tons of mechanical regulators fail this way. Another thing to check. If it is an an external regulator ( not integrated in the alternator ) check for a good clean ground. Most regulators will overcharge if they became rusted at there mounting. Seen this a gazillion times too.