Refresher Course in Who can you Trust?

/ Refresher Course in Who can you Trust? #11  
That reminds me of a store in my home town where the only the manager was allowed to take the trash out.. guess they had had some of the same sort of problems.

Soundguy

/ Refresher Course in Who can you Trust? #12  
Years ago we had a knowledgeable HVAC technician (Jack) that had been with us for years and was a trusted employee. His wife had a good job (some kind of X-ray technician) with one of the local hospitals. She accepted a transfer to a different state in which her parents resided so naturally the tech turned in his notice with us. About that same time we had an emergency and needed a special part that was in Jack's service truck. When we pulled the part out of Jack's truck we quickly realized the inside the new box was an old defective part. And after further inspection we found lots of old parts in new boxes.

Turns out Jack was using our truck, our gasoline, & our parts to do a bit of work on the side. He kept throwing the old parts back in the new boxes within his truck to avoid being caught when inventory was taken.

From that point forward doing inventory meant that every box was to be opened.

/ Refresher Course in Who can you Trust? #13  
Soundguy said:
Our HR dept. has told us that if we get a reference call all we can say is whether the employee is eligible for re-hire or not.. and that if we say anything negative.. we could be legally liable... go figure..

Soundguy

They probably also told you can you provide the dates of employment; i.e., from (date) to (date), eligible for rehire or not, and that's it. I'm afraid a lot of people have no idea just how ridiculous it's gotten and how long ago it happened. Even police departments will not give any information to another police department on ex-employees. And that's been the case now for over 20 years.

/ Refresher Course in Who can you Trust? #14  
Yep.. you're right.. date to/from and eligibility for rehire.

Soundguy

/ Refresher Course in Who can you Trust? #15  
You guys are right about the legal answers on referrals.

In my former life, we got calls for referral all the time. If it was a good employee and they'd informed me about a referal request, I'd tell them "you need to call HR at xxx-xxxx and they will confirm the information. That's all I can say on the record. Personally, I've worked with ____ and found them to be................."

The one that got me was we fired a long time employee who was a female hater--said publically all women should be kept barefoot / pregnant. He was always getting into cussing arguments with other departments, and I ran interferrence for him for awhile, counseling him, etc. But I knew some day, he'd turn on me and he'd be gone.

Sure enough, he turned on me and began his cussing tirade. I calmly said "John, that's it, you're gone". He was off the program that day and out the company a short while later.

About a yr later, my boss got a call from an employer saying John _ had given her this name and number saying you would be a reference for him. Boss broke out laughing and said "You're kidding me right--John said I'd give him a reference?????????"

I think that reaction was enough for the potential employer! Boss didn't have to say anything else.

Ron

/ Refresher Course in Who can you Trust? #16  
You guys are right about the legal answers on referrals.

The lawyers don't even want you giving good recommendations because they say if you do that, then not giving any recommendation for someone else implies a bad remark.

Now I'm generally a "go by the book" kind of guy, but once in awhile . . ..

Before I retired from the police department, I had a captain from a small town in Rhode Island call me one day. He had an applicant for the job of police officer, the guy was a native of that area of Rhode Island, but had been a Dallas police officer. That captain said everything looked good except he couldn't understand the guy leaving Dallas to apply with them since Dallas paid considerably more. The captain had called our Personnel Division (they call'em Human Resources now) and, even though he was a captain in another police department, Dallas wouldn't tell him anything at all except the dates the guy worked in Dallas and that he was eligible for rehire.

The Rhode Island captain called me because we had been in the same class at the FBI National Academy a year or so earlier. So I called our Personnel Division and they wouldn't even let me see the former employee's personnel records, even though I had been Commander of the Personnel Division several years earlier. However, I did learn in which division the former officer worked and who his sergeant and lieutenant were. So I contacted them. I found that the young man from Rhode Island had been a fine officer, his supervisors were sorry to lose him, and would love to have him back. But his wife was also from Rhode Island, had never been far from home until they moved to Dallas, and she insisted on moving back there, so he did.

So I violated the rules (statute of limitations has expired) and told the Rhode Island captain what I'd learned. I'm sure he hired himself a fine young officer.

/ Refresher Course in Who can you Trust? #17  
Although the standard answer seems to be "Joe schmoe is (or is not) rehirable"..I think you can give more information without fear of reprisal **IF** you have your information documented.

We once had a gal that was abusing the system so I ended up keeping track of her every movement. It was full work day, hour lunch and leave at 5. She was to answer phones... sort of like ahem...a receptionist?

When her 'boss' left for what ever reason, she'd simply walk by my office and say "Dan's gone for the day so I'm leaving too"

(hmm... who's our receptionist now?)

Her "lunch" breaks ended up being 90 minutes, then 2 hours, then 4 hours if not the rest of the day.

Her paycheck of course, never reflected this absence.

I documented her activities for something like 3 months before I finally brought it up and confronted her.

She played the "crying opressed woman" theme on me but it wasn't flying.

Bottom line, she quit and by happenstance, moved away thereafter. Her new firm sent us a letter to confirm her employment and instead of answering the letter, I physically called them so I could speak to the guy (and I'll admit, have nothing in writing :rolleyes: )

I told them of her abuses (and others I've not listed here)

In my business (securities, as in investments), you can be unemployed for 2 years and still keep your registrations. If you go unemployed for 2 years and 1 day, then you have to start from scratch & retake all the tests.

Prior to her coming to us, she'd been out for 1 year 11 months. She left us and it was 1 year 11 months before she joined this firm

I tried to tell this guy to LOOK at her history, along with what our experiences were and she was just abusing the system to keep her registrations. He would do himself AND the industry (self regulating??) a FAVOR by delaying her registration by several weeks and let her lapse.

Unfortunately, I think he had a quota to make on recruiting and hired her on the spot, which reset her 2 year clock.

She of course, is no longer there and continues to abuse the system.

/ Refresher Course in Who can you Trust?
I expect lots of us have had our share of situations that boggle the mind, twist the gut, and pull at the heart strings at the same time. Hard to deal with anger, friendship, betrayal and sympathy simultaniously. You can second guess yourself batty.

/ Refresher Course in Who can you Trust? #19  
In the late 60's I worked for a manufacturing company that had a large Maint department. All of the employees were long time workers who had at least 25 years with the company. We knew that one of them was taking copper and we had a good idea who it was.
We had not been able to catch him leaving the plant with any but he was the only one on his shift who had access to it. I called him into my office and told him that a lot of copper was missing ( over 700 lbs) and that It would be appreciated if it was returned.
We were never able to catch him taking it out but we did catch him bringing it back in.

The end of a 25 year career, with loss of benefits and pension.

/ Refresher Course in Who can you Trust? #20  
Your company should offer a course or refresher on business ethics. Or at least a ten minute session on what is expected of employees.

Entitlement comes as people don't hear the right message. One has to be accountable and held accountable for ones actions.

Good luck with the rest of your crew.

-Mike Z.