Refresher Course in Who can you Trust?

/ Refresher Course in Who can you Trust? #21  
Another thing to consider is the example the "leaders" owners set forth.
I worked for a print shop in the late W's and again in the W's.
In these years the Bosses sons were hired for 'summer' help. They really took advantage of the company, and of course that was "OK" because of who they were.
One son would use the shrink wrap machine to package his cocaine and marijuana. He would cause his dad lots of grief. At the time me not having kids I would get a bit upset at this, but now after having them, I feel for what he went through. Anyway, often times an employee would go on a delivery for the company in their car. I would give them the charge acct and they would get a full tank of gas. and be on the clock,
These same people would have to see me give the same card to each son, and daughter often so the would have gas to go to their summer "camp". Not quite fair , but thats how they worked it.
This list could go on forever, I would load about 39 bales of paper into a trailer, (they weigh about 1000 lbs), And the boss would come over and tell me to mark the Bill Of Lading for 4000 lbs.
When the driver came to pick the trailer, He would give a small wad of money to the paper bailer guy.(also the bosses brother).
They didn't make much effort to cover it.
The bosses daughter went to college, and still got a check mailed to her. The head office would send an act to make sure that only checks were going to the actual workers, we would have to sign for them. This week, the bosses daughters check wasn't int the outgoing mail. HMM but the next week, two went out.
The fact is that they were the owners and could do as they wanted. But they should have had some decency to not make it look so obvious.They almost encouraged others to take advantage.
I held off the temptation myself, but did take advantage of unlimited overtime
Its reall how moral one is.
Allan.

/ Refresher Course in Who can you Trust? #22  
ToadHill said:
In the late 60's I worked for a manufacturing company that had a large Maint department. All of the employees were long time workers who had at least 25 years with the company. We knew that one of them was taking copper and we had a good idea who it was.
We had not been able to catch him leaving the plant with any but he was the only one on his shift who had access to it. I called him into my office and told him that a lot of copper was missing ( over 700 lbs) and that It would be appreciated if it was returned.
We were never able to catch him taking it out but we did catch him bringing it back in.

The end of a 25 year career, with loss of benefits and pension.

I'm not sure I understand this. Was the copper somehow identifiable? I'm not saying it wouldn't be logical, but from a legal standpoint, how was it proven the copper he was bringing in was what was taken, and what was the charge? Somehow "returning stolen goods" doesn't sound right.

When I retired from the day job I was managing app. 65 people, directly or indirectly. I would never have discussed such a violation with someone, giving them what probably sounded like a nuanced opportunity to come clean, and then nailed them when they did. Mind you, I had no problem pulling an employee's phone records or emails or anything else business related, but I just think to make it clear you have a suspicion and then offer what may easily have been interpreted as an opportunity for redemption and use it as a trap is bad management. Just an opinion--I certainly acknowledge it was within the legal rights of the employer.

/ Refresher Course in Who can you Trust? #23  
I can image a few far flung 'what-if's ".. like.. what if.. the copper was not identifiable.. and he did not take it.. but was replacing it with like kind as he felt in fear for his job as he was more or less accused of taking it. Far flung.. but stranger things have happened.

He may also have known the employee who took it.. past or present.. and retrieved it to get it back to the company, and then when he was caught.. he did not 'rat' out the real taker.. perhaps a friend.. etc..

Again.. far flung.. but 'could be'.

I too think the 'talk' sounds like a setup .. hard to say what the outcome would have been if the circumstances were different..

Soundguy

/ Refresher Course in Who can you Trust?
You always have to worry about disgruntled folks coming back with an AK for a little retribution.:eek: I'll admit I have sweated it out before.

One in particular promised me I'd get what was coming to me. He made a couple of attempts to cause problems between the Bride and I, anonymous faked "evidence" of bad stuff etc. He even had a girl call the Bride at work and tell her she needed to get in contact with me immediately because I had to rush to the hospital and sign for financial resposibility for my illegitimate son (that I don't have) that needed surgery. A real prince, this ahole.

I don't believe this guy is the type for that, but I also didn't believe he was the type to steal stuff. Guess my physchology meter needs calibration.