Refurbishing my Z145 135

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #51  
Moving right along. Nice seat, wheels cleaned up really nice as well.

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #52  
As I suspected my gas tank sending unit was shot. I opened it up and wire wound rheostat was open and could not be repaired so now I'm looking for this sending unit. Anyone got any leads. My tractor is a 65 model 4cyl gas. -robert

I would give Stevens Tractor a call. They have almost 2000 products for your exact tractor, just about every part on the tractor to do a complete restore. I have used them several times, and they are great, and fast. They even have new fenders if you need them for just over $100 ea brand new. I would give them a call..
Fuel Sending Unit

Search results for: 'mf 135'

Fuel Tank

The entire parts list:

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135
NHmitch said:
I would give Stevens Tractor a call. They have almost 2000 products for your exact tractor, just about every part on the tractor to do a complete restore. I have used them several times, and they are great, and fast. They even have new fenders if you need them for just over $100 ea brand new. I would give them a call..
Fuel Sending Unit

Fuel Tank

The entire parts list:

Thanks for the tip. The main problem in decision. There are several that look similar to my sending unit. I guess. I'll have to speak to someone over the phone.
-robert

Mike476 said:
The shielding on most of the wiring on mine was so deteriorated I changed most of it, cleaned up the grounds and all contacts. It made a noticeable difference in how the tractor started and ran, not to mention the difference in lighting. Years of layered paint and weather takes its toll.

I've found a lot of bad wiring on mine. Seems whoever owned mine at one type, it was fashionable to use wire nuts on everything. I had rather solder the wires together and put some shrink wrap in it. -robert

Fuel Sending Unit

Fuel Tank

The entire parts list:

Mitch, I found the part number for my sending unit. P/N 189160M91 It appears I'll have to order it. Prices are all over the board too. Thanks -robert

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #56  
No Problem, I'm glad that you were able to find it! It is amazing how much they charge for a basic part, just because the tractor is vintage. I have had to pay $30 each for dash warning lights. Just a red plastic disk with a bulb, but I guess thats the price we pay for good tractors. They certainly don't make them new like your anymore. Keep us updated with the photos!

No Problem, I'm glad that you were able to find it! It is amazing how much they charge for a basic part, just because the tractor is vintage. I have had to pay $30 each for dash warning lights. Just a red plastic disk with a bulb, but I guess thats the price we pay for good tractors. They certainly don't make them new like your anymore. Keep us updated with the photos!
There's a seller on eBay that has the exact part for $43 plus $18 shipping. I emailed him and told him he needed to explore other shipping options besides FedEx and UPS. Either are no faster than USPS. That is probably my number one complaint with eBay sellers who jack up shipping prices to cover their bottom line. He has a "make offer" button and sent a lower offer. I'd like to know what his cost on that part is. It does seem the vintage tractor parts are a bit inflated. -robert

Moving right along. Nice seat, wheels cleaned up really nice as well.
I'm going to go with a acrylic enamel wheel paint similar to a 65/66 mustang wheels. I'm not happpy with the silver I used. Me, like you I'm redoing it for personal looks. I'm not looking to show the tractor, or 100 point restoration. Just knocking rust off it. The seat I know I'm going to like. I did something about protecting the gas tank. Pictures to come. -robert

I installed the gas tank insulation today. These tractors came with a heat shield but appear to be a pain to put back on after replacing a manifold gasket. So I've been told by a few. Instead of searching for the shield I went a more modern method. I used some high tech peel and stick heat shielding that can be cut with scissors and applied on a clean dry surface.

I had an issue of what I thought was vapor locking. I had a metal gas filter very near the exhaust manifold. The tractor would quit while working in dense brush while moving slowly with a bug hog. I could crank it right back up but it would sputter and die. I slowly nursed it out of the brush with the choke and low throttle. Once I got moving out in the open the tractor ran fine. Thus my diagnosis.

Here's what I did to preevent it from happening again.

First I insulated the entire bottom side of the fuel tank. This insulation is used to protect parts of an auto from heat from from things like a turbocharger which can turn cherry red if pushed hard.

Next I insulated the gas filter itself. Then I replaced the copper line with high pressure fuel hose and relocated the fuel filter away from the manifold. I can chicken tie to gas line to something to keep it far away from the manifold.
That should do it.

Robert, I like it a lot. I found after spending 6-7 hours in the old pan style seat a day my legs were falling asleep, back was sore and I like to have something as an armrest to lean on occassionally when turning around to look behind.

My kids got together and bought it for me. I did have to modify it somewhat to mount it further aft than the pre-drilled mounts allowed, but that was simply a matter of disassembling the sliders to drill the necessary hole pattern to fit the tractor, about an hours work to install.

Have had it four years now, spring suspension has made a world of difference on my back and the seat is a little more comfortable. My wife and oldest daughter use it on occassion, having the ability to slide fore and aft and adjust the suspension for the weight of the passenger makes it a universal fit.
I ran into a snag while removing the old seat. Seens the rear bold was totally seized and wouldn't come off. Thankfully the bolt was threated into the tranny housing and was able to remove the entire bolt. Replaced with a stadard both. I'm going to have some graphics made for the back of the seat.
1965​
Ole Sally​

I may paint the backside of the seat MF red and put white graphics on it. -robert