Relatively large gardens

/ Relatively large gardens #21  
Re: Bird Netting

I tie bird netting, cut appropriately, to metal T-posts to keep out deer etc from our garden (see attachment). Used this for 2 years now without a single intrusion. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Only issue is that it is hard to weed-whack the bottom. It is a two man job...one to lift the netting (use an old hockey stick) and the other to use the trimmer.

Kevin

Last edited:
   / Relatively large gardens #22  
I have a relatively large garden - about 80' X 100'. When I bought the land back in 1976 and built the log cabin, the land for the garden was stones, brush, and trees. It has taken years of gradual enlarging and working the soil to get it to it's present size.

I have a brother who is a PITA engineer who claims it is not worth growing your own vegetables, heating with wood, doing your own repairs, etc., etc. who will argue all day over anything since he knows it all. He would make the same argument that it is cheaper to buy it at the market.

I can tell you this: If anybody wants to spend their lives as couch potatoes watching reality TV shows all the time, then fine. They are not your gardening types. They are not your hunting types. They are not your fishing types. They are not your tractor owning types. They are not your welding types. They are not your "maintain your own vehicle types." I know these kind of people and they are the most boring people in the world to talk to.

On the other hand, people who like to do the things I mentioned above have a natural curiosity about life. It's not about economics. It is about learning to do something. It is about proving to yourself that you can grow your own food, heat your house with wood instead of oil, weld up something you need yourself, mow your own lawn, plow your own driveway, etc. It is about the sense of satisfaction and pride you get when you accomplish something, such as growing your own food, harvesting a deer, or doing your own maintenance and fixing. What sense of accomplishment do couch potatoes get from watching Seinfeld?

When I had three kids at home (all grown up now), I used to plant 150 tomato plants a year. One year my wife and I canned 250 quarts of tomatoes, as well as a lot of other vegetables. Sure came in handy. Now, all of the kids are 30+, they love to come home to the "homestead" and mooch some tomatoes, potatoes, play with the tractor, go to the shooting range, etc. The seven grandkids have also gotten into the act.

One last thing: I really like a type of potato called Green Mountain. Can't find them in stores, but you can still get the seed potato here in the Northeast. I grow them every year. They are the best baking potato in the world. Anyways, I have problems with Colorado potato beetles and nothing I can buy without an exterminators license will kill those things. I pick them (and the larvae) off by hand every couple of days. It started me thinking....what kind of insecticides are the big potato growers with thousands of acres of potatoes using to kill those things? Do I want to eat those potatoes?

Finally, my grandparents were all farmers. Hunting, gardening, fishing, etc., all show me how difficult life was years ago. You had to be self sufficient, independent, and a fast learner if you were going to survive. Our modern lifestyle has meant that most people today really don't have any skills at all for survival if it ever comes to that. It's sad, really, particularly after 9/11 which has proven that we can be in real serious trouble with little or no notice.

Reminds me of that country and western song about "A Country Boy Can Survive!"

Had my first home grown tomato of the season last night, and nothing can replace that pleasure. You can't buy that in a supermarket.

/ Relatively large gardens #23  
I don't usually respond to posts but you guys are really depressing me. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif When we moved to our present place 6 years ago I built my wife three raised beds, 4'x 24', composted, put down weed cloth, ran soaker hoses and fenced it all in. My garden is open, 120' x 60'. I usually plant rows 5' apart so I can in between with the tractor and tiller. This year I composted and tilled but hurt my back and never got anything in the ground. It's been a hard spring and summer listening to my wife croon about how good "her" salad crop, tomatoes, peppers and eggplant are but now I have to listen to you guys too. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I can hardly wait until it cools down and I can get a fall garden planted .... and to hell with the cost.

/ Relatively large gardens #24  
Wayne, my garden was 103' x 83', and like EastTexFrank, I planted my rows 5' apart when I had the B7100 because I could till between the rows with my 40" tiller. When I got the B2710, that wouldn't work, so I started planting 4' apart and used a cultivator plow by straddling the rows until the plants got too big for that.

As for the potatoes, I remember as a kid having to pick the potato bugs off the plants in southern Oklahoma, but for reasons unknown, I never had any of them down here; used no insecticides at all and the potatoes did just fine.

And as for cost, well, if you count the cost of a tractor and tiller, and you're only wanting the produce for 2 to 4 people, it wasn't worth it, but if you've got the equipment anyway, and you're providing fresh vegetables for kids, grandkids, siblings and their families, and a few friends and neighbors, I definitely produced a lot more than I could have bought for the money I spent. Of course, if my labor had been worth anything, maybe a different story, but since I was there and wanted to do it . . . ., at least I think it was worth it, just as you do.

/ Relatively large gardens #25  
"Had my first home grown tomato of the season last night". Boy are our seasons different. We are harvesting our last tomatoes of season. Our tomatoes are now done fer. Too hot so it's time to cut them back and hope they produce some later in fall. By the way, nice post.

/ Relatively large gardens #26  
RockyRoad - I'm sure many of us would agree it couldn't be said better. Thanks. Self-reliance is a slowly fading attribute in the US. The appropriate skills for sufficiency are not as valued. For some reason tractors, farming, do-it-yourself attitudes, and sharing seem to go together. I've never met a farmer who was a stranger; we always had something to talk about and part as friends. The food we grow binds us to the earth, the environment. It helps me feel alive. The food on the table is special to us - we know exactly how it got there and that is is clean and nutritious.

The cost of home gardening is widely offset by self-esteem and personal integrity. I will continue to grow food for no other reason than to feel connected to my life.

/ Relatively large gardens #27  
"first home grown tomato of the season"..

Isn't it great.. though hard work.. I really enjoy watching everything grow! My squash just started coming in this week. I'm pretty proud of my garden this year.. def. after two years of drought. This week alone I've picked almost 75 gallons of squash! I unloaded about 45 gallons to my co-workers. I picked 20 gallons on Tue. night.. last night I picked for 2 1/2 hours(watched the sun set) and was pushing 35 gallons.. but 5 gallons of it was cucumbers.

One thing I'm looking for.. bushel baskets.. haven't seen any at TSC.. anyone know where I can find the bushel & 1/2 bushel baskets.. I used all the empty buckets I had last night and had to carry armfuls of squash & cucumbers to the house.

Now if I can just keep the bugs off my sweet corn for a while longer..

/ Relatively large gardens #28  
I don't know about bushels, but we bought some cheap imported laundry baskets for toting stuff from the garden to the house. Too danged wet here, tomatoes rotting before they ripen, no okra at all, squash and melons rotting before ripe. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Relatively large gardens #29  
"Too danged wet here, tomatoes rotting before they ripen, no okra at all, squash and melons rotting before ripe."

Tell me about it....
My tomatoes have already petered out. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif First corn planting is put up and the second planting should be ready next week. Beans went quick... not enough dry days to sevin-dust them...insects/bugs killed first and second plantings. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Squash rotting from being too wet. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Cukes - so-so.
Maybe next year.....

/ Relatively large gardens #30  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( " First corn planting is put up" </font><font color="blue" class="small">(

Yep, our seasons are really different. We have only been eating corn, beans and tomatoes for a week or so. How do you put up your corn? We eat fresh corn for two or three months but our attempts at blanching, cutting off the corn and freezing it produced lously corn. We grow sugar enhanced varieties if that makes a difference.