Relatively large gardens

/ Relatively large gardens #31  
Last year when I planted the only thing they had was a variety that was marked good for freezing. We blanched it then vacumn packed the corn on the cob. It was excellent, does not taste the sweetest but really good corn. Made sure that I went early and looked for the same markings and will do the same again this year. We ate it until the middle of July and was just as good as fresh, but not quite.

/ Relatively large gardens #32  
Cheaper at the market?

Let's see - 75x50 foot vegetable garden, about $40-$50 worth of seed / seed potatos this year. (mulch is grass cuttings and/or hay leftover from last years cuttings).

Harvested to date:

47 dozen ears of sweet corn. (most's frozen) More to go.
190 lbs of red potatos (white's still in the ground - will go in the root cellar.)
Lost track of the tomato's - I'll have to count the quarts put up.
Ditto the green beans.
Not to count a few dozen types of greens, squash, eggplant, shake pickels, and misc. vegetables we've been enjoying this summer (most not put up for winter).

I'd say we broke even. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(but that isn't the point for us!)

Tim

/ Relatively large gardens #33  
This year we ate quite a bit of fresh. We froze the rest on the cob. Boiled it for 5 minutes (maybe a dash of sugar), pulled it out and put immediately in sink of ice water. Five minutes later, pull out of the sink and let air dry. Then we put into freezer bags... 4 to a bag. To my taste buds, it tastes just fine.
I planted Silver Queen but what I harvested was a mix with some kind of golden corn. Silver Queen is the best around here for freezing. Good luck.

/ Relatively large gardens #34  
Trev,

Thanks for posting this. Some of the answers are downright poetic, while all hint at the core of the matter - far too many people measure absolute financial returns these days versus the real returns of a healthy lifestyle

After being away from gardening for a number of years, I'm ferverently returning to it with our mountain place. Typical of our endeavors, we've adopted a large approach - our cleared garden area is 50 x 200, that includes room for berries, asparagus, artichokes and such. We also have a separate orchard area with thirty some odd trees and plan next to put in a couple acres of grapes. Since we just cleared this past year, we have several years of serious work ahead before we can get the soil to optimize. But, even with this year's modest yields and weeds that want to take the land back, I can't seem to get enough of it.

Personally, I find tremendous satisfaction in it, especially in nurturing all the plants from seed in the greenhouse in late winter and growing perennials, but gardening is clearly hard work and not cheap or all that cost effective if measured in financial terms alone.

My summary take on the issue would be if the weeds, dirt, bugs and weather cause you more stress than they relieve than there may be better time investments on your list.

But, how does one put a price tag on satisfaction and balance?

Best,

Sabi

/ Relatively large gardens #36  
Not yet Gary. I'm still looking for a contract sawyer in our area to slice up a fairly substantial pile of oak, hickory and poplar we harvested from our clearing efforts. We've carved out a pretty nice sized logging landing, and have cribbed up the logs in preparation for sawing.

Eventually I would like to have the ability to do some sawing ourselves. I'm drooling over Woodmisers but they are pricy. I'm also seriously looking at the Lucas Mills. Intriguing design and very cost effective.

Sabi

/ Relatively large gardens #37  
Have you looked at the Hudson line of sawmills.. I've had my eye on the FarmBoss model for some time.. looked at the swing-blade saw mills as well.. just don't have the dollars yet.. but they do have several models priced under $5K.. here's a couple sites to check out.

http://www.hud-son.com/bandmills.htm

http://www.betterwoodworking.com/lumber_mills.htm

http://www.woodweb.com/KnowledgeBase/KBPPSawmilling.html

I believe on one of the sites they have a search/lookup for people who do custom saw work.

I've cut some boards & beams w/ an Alaskian III.. that attaches to your chainsaw.. fun to see what you can do.. but hard work. I've used some of the oak boards for fencing.. some of the beams for posts for a balcony.. and I have some cherry I have cut to make hardwood flooring.

/ Relatively large gardens #38  
Thanks for the links. I'll look at them in my continuing quest.

My brother has one of the Alaskan saw thingys that he has offered to give to me....but I'm not about to spend that many hours leaning over to puch a saw through tough oak with my back /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Cherry has always been one of my favorite hardwoods and it makes great flooring, although it is a bit softer than some. I love the way the workshop smells when you saw or mill cherry....so sweet.

Enjoy,

Sabi

/ Relatively large gardens #39  
<font color="red">"I love the way the workshop smells when you saw or mill cherry....so sweet. " </font>

You ought to smell the smoke when I smoke ribs using apple or pecan.
As Andy Griffith would say.... Um, Um....