Releasing 3 point hitch ?

/ Releasing 3 point hitch ? #31  
Thanks for the tip Soundguy, I'll take a look at it again before I hook it up.

When you say "each side of the pto shaft" do you mean the shaft on the hog after I pull it completely apart? And by "each side" do you mean the inner and outer shaft?

What's the best way to do this trimming? I am not a welder and have no welding tools, so using a torch is not an option. Could I saw it or grind it down?

Having the pto stub pushed into the diffy sounds bad

/ Releasing 3 point hitch ? #32  
bloody_peasant said:
Thanks for the tip Soundguy, I'll take a look at it again before I hook it up.

When you say "each side of the pto shaft" do you mean the shaft on the hog after I pull it completely apart? And by "each side" do you mean the inner and outer shaft?

What's the best way to do this trimming? I am not a welder and have no welding tools, so using a torch is not an option. Could I saw it or grind it down?

Having the pto stub pushed into the diffy sounds bad

Yep.. you slide the inner and outter shafts apart. Then yuo decide how much to cut off. Then take a hacksaw or razor blade to the shield on each side and cut it down.. then.. cut the shaft down. Can be done with a hacksaw ( and a cold drink and bit of patience, and a spare blade ), sawszall with metal blade, band saw with a metal blade, chop saw, angle grinder ( and a bit of care on the cut ).. I would -NOT- torch cut it..

Debur the ends with a file or sand paper, blow clean with air.. then grease it real good, and slide er back together.

Cut equal amounts off of each.. but only cut off enough to give you clearance. Ideally, you want as much inner to outter contact ont he shafts, and only need about 1.5" to 20" of play, when the shaft is at it's most compressed state... which is usually with the lift all the way up... ( the shaft generally contracts due to the geometry of the lift when raised.. and slightly expands when lowered.. though it may only move a couple / few inches either way..... ) Measure twice.. cut once..

One more thing.. If you use a hacksaw to cut it.. the side benefit is that your arm will look like popeye the sailor man afterwards.. as it is quite a workout!!

Good luck!

Soundguy

/ Releasing 3 point hitch ? #33  
I prowled around a couple of tractor graveyards unil I found one of those Ford/Ferguson adjustable side links. When the fellah asked for $15, I like to broke my fingers gettin' my wallet out. I put the old turnbuckle type on the left side thinkin' I'd double the adjustment range. I used it so seldom it froze up, not quite the same length as the solid one I can't seem to find.
I had a spare tire for my two wheeled cart layin' in the spot where I normally put my hog. I was too tired to climb down and move it, and set the hog right on top. Imagine my joy when I discovered that it made movin' the hog so much easier.
When you say your lift arms won't open wide enough for puttin' both hog pins in the lift arms at the same time, I could feel your pain. Just try reversin' the pins on the hog so your lift arms engage them by spreading them apart, and disengage by squeezing them together. You'll have this disconnectin' down pat in no time, savin' a couple hundred dollars on quick attachment gadgets. That said I just bought the $70 three point quick attach from Harbor Freight. ;-D

/ Releasing 3 point hitch ? #34  
Peasant -- depending on which one you want to be thicker, your arm or your wallet, you could also just go to TSC or someplace similar and buy a slightly shorter PTO shaft to fit. If you're going to be running different implements on the back, you might need a couple of different ones, depending on whether you get one with the implement, which you should but don't always if you buy used or auction stuff.

/ Releasing 3 point hitch ? #35  
daTeacha said:
Peasant -- depending on which one you want to be thicker, your arm or your wallet, you could also just go to TSC or someplace similar and buy a slightly shorter PTO shaft to fit. If you're going to be running different implements on the back, you might need a couple of different ones, depending on whether you get one with the implement, which you should but don't always if you buy used or auction stuff.

If you do buy a new shaft.. make sure you match up size and hp.. and in all likely hood.. you may have to cut the new shaft as well, since you are having to cut the old shaft. as for buying a shaft to fit other implements.. I'd hold off on htat till i saw the implements.. some have smooth input shafts.. some are splined.. and some are metric splined..

Soundguy

/ Releasing 3 point hitch ? #36  
Thanks Rich & Soundguy, looks like I'll be doing some hack sawing this weekend and working on my forearms :D

Can I get a second opinion on Slamfire's tip of reversing the pins? It sounds like a great idea, just want to make sure its safe to do (for me and my equipment).

/ Releasing 3 point hitch ? #37  
bloody_peasant said:
Thanks Rich & Soundguy, looks like I'll be doing some hack sawing this weekend and working on my forearms :D

Can I get a second opinion on Slamfire's tip of reversing the pins? It sounds like a great idea, just want to make sure its safe to do (for me and my equipment).

Yes.. it's fine, and easy to do as long as you have bolted pins and not welde dones, or are using a mower that has clearance issue like a howse.. where the a-frame may interfere with pins turned in.

I have pins turned in on my 30" dirt scoop, as well as my 5' box blade. I did this to make them compatible with my little yanmar 1700.. though find that it makes the 8n way easier to hook up to them as well.

If you turn the pins in.. just make sure you adjust yor sway chains so the implement is not swinging to and from back there.

Soundguy

/ Releasing 3 point hitch ? #38  
Excellent, you guys are a wealth of information. Yep my pins are bolted on, so hopefully I won't have any clearance issues. Man I might be able to get my hog hook up time under 10 min. now with all these tips :D Muchos gracias.

Now if only the MMM was so easy :( I really wish I could have gotten a rear finish mower instead, easier to attach/unattach, seems more flexible too as you can at least back it into a square corner and so on. Plus when I'm out clearing brush I don't like the idea of having the MMM attached especially with its big long belt just waiting to get snagged on sapling stumps. Sigh.