Removing Alternator on 350 Chev

/ Removing Alternator on 350 Chev #11  
Impact gun on low setting for a while after repeated soaks with Kroil (insert your favorite product here) and heating gently with a torch. The impact gun on a lower setting will vibrate the cr ap out of the bolt and fitting, should come loose. Patience is the key.

Dave

He is right, Keep soaking that sucker with your favorite juice and tap at it . Give it a couple of days.Its been there for 39 years so be patient..

/ Removing Alternator on 350 Chev #12  
its probably a 3/8th x 16 thread. i always used gm heat riser penitrant on things like that. warming up the thread area will help, all the ideas are good ones except the "ford" one. if its not a rush deal take your time and keep spraying it over a few days.If this is one that bolts the alt on then its probably pretty long and you are going to get a twisting effect if you lean on it with a break over. If the engine has aluminim heads then you are fighting the great corosion that happens when that steel bolt hangs out in alum. for a long period of time.
If this is one of the long bolts one thing i have done and you may be able to do also is clamp a set of vice grips to the shaft of the bolt and your break over on the head. pull on both at the same time and you should be moving on to better things.

/ Removing Alternator on 350 Chev #13  
ditto on an impact wrench. and do try to loosent he alt and get some penetrant into the thread area.. when reinstalling.. consider neverseize...

/ Removing Alternator on 350 Chev #14  
What about running a tap in that hole before reassembly? Maybe a die over the bolt threads...

ditto on an impact wrench. and do try to loosent he alt and get some penetrant into the thread area.. when reinstalling.. consider neverseize...

/ Removing Alternator on 350 Chev #15  
good point. won't hurt to chase out any oxidation on the internal threads.

there is also an electrolysis paste you can use to prevent the corrosion with dissimilar metals..e tc.

/ Removing Alternator on 350 Chev
Lots of good suggestions here, thanks. I've had to deal with a leaking rear tractor tire with fluid fill so have been away from the truck, maybe a good thing so it can soak a little more. Clylinder head is cast iron, no aluminum.

/ Removing Alternator on 350 Chev #18  
Hmmm, wonder if this stuff would work on rusted tight exhaust manifold bolts on an old Ford truck ?

probably REAL good.

/ Removing Alternator on 350 Chev #19  
been wrenching on chevy's for a lot of years most likly your alternator has a steel bracket behind the alum. alternator case, that is most likly your trouble spot [lack of anti-seize on bolt] soak it up as said also some heat wouldn't hurt [ small torch]on steel bracket&alternator . I've had these not come loose unless you cut up bracket with cut off wheel get alternator and bracket out of the way bolt will usally come out of head. good luck.

/ Removing Alternator on 350 Chev #20  
I've sprayed some PB Blaster on it and tapped on the bolt head a little but the blaster may not even be getting in to the threads.
The PB Blaster is good stuff. I was able to take numerous bolts out of a 70's rusted up MG without snapping off a single one - a little heat applied to some too. There's probably others as good, but PB is a big step up from the the old standard WD-40.