Removing Alternator on 350 Chev

/ Removing Alternator on 350 Chev #21  
Hmmm, wonder if this stuff would work on rusted tight exhaust manifold bolts on an old Ford truck ?

just might do the trick. i had weeks of pulling busted manifold to head bolts out of big blocks in topkicks and kodiac's. i would drill a 1/8th inch pilot hole through the bolt center, take the heat riser penitrant and fill the void beteen the end of the bolt and the head. I would do this to all the ones i had to extract, once i got to the last one i would go back to the first and drill the hole to the size of my extractor / easy out. 9 times out of 10 i had a sucess pulling the broken fastener using this method. ive used everything i could get my hands on to help speed up this process. when your trying to beat the clock and not paying for supplies the world is your limit. i dont know what is in the heat riser penitrant other than it smells like top engine cleaner but works better than anything i tried.
the easy outs i use are made by rigid, they are fluted shafts that are not tapered at all, you drive them in and slide the bolt head style fitting over them and try and back the bolt out, you can work either direction with them, since sometimes you have to get tighter to get looser in that situation. With all the jobs i did i only had to replace 1 due to it got bent.
With my current job i get to use fun things like diamond tip drill bits, those are very picky but they will eat a hole in the devils rump if needed.
good luck all

/ Removing Alternator on 350 Chev
UPDATE: I was wrong and Stimw & powerstroke444e were correct. The bolt is free in the head but is stuck in the aluminum alternator body. I'll remove the wires and adjust bracket bolt and see if I can get it to swing and free up. Thanks.

/ Removing Alternator on 350 Chev #23  
downslope said:
UPDATE: I was wrong and Stimw & powerstroke444e were correct. The bolt is free in the head but is stuck in the aluminum alternator body. I'll remove the wires and adjust bracket bolt and see if I can get it to swing and free up. Thanks.

That will make things easier. We had one bind in the head and it was a task getting it loose.

/ Removing Alternator on 350 Chev #24  
well.. better stuck in the alt than in the head... IMHO..

soundguy

/ Removing Alternator on 350 Chev #25  
Get out your air chisel, insert a blunt chisel and hammer on the end of the bolt for a minute or so to loosen whatever is causing the problem in the threads. Then apply Kroil or Mouse Milk penetrant. After 24-48 hours, try to wrench the bolt. Repeat until it backs out.

The air chisel is a handy tool for stuck parts. Last week I got a stuck pulley sheaf off a 14 hp Tecumseh 4-cycle engine which needed to be replaced using an air chisel.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/231852-pulley-removal-bolens-tecumseh-gt1443.html

Good luck

/ Removing Alternator on 350 Chev #26  
i used an air chissle with blunt hammer to spin a stuck power adjust rim center out of it's rusty cradle in the rim.... saved alot of hammer beating!

soundguy