Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #101  
The kitty litter is making a mess. A big clay stain, but that’ll wash away.
Hopefully you're using non-clumping litter. I think the clumping litter just turns to wet clay, and could persist quite a while. The non-clumping litter would likely pulverize and wash off quicker.

It sounds like you're really trying to do the best you can to clean up. I might have gone by the "Act of God" defense. It will disappear over time, but it might take some time which may or may not be acceptable. It looks like the driveway started off fairly dark, so it likely would have blended in fairly quickly. Get the bulk oil off, then let nature do the rest.

However, that brings up the question, was this a tractor or a pickup that leaked? A tractor or mower should probably be kept on the grass, dirt, and gravel most of the time, and only on pavement when loading or unloading.

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #102  
This oil leak is well outside of the expected level of leakage. And the customers property arguably was damaged. If someone threw 5 gallons of paint on the side of your house I think everyone will agree it’s damaged even though it still does all the functions a house is supposed to. If it goes to court he would definitely loose. He owes the customer whatever it takes to restore the driveway to its previous state. Maybe that could be reached with cleaners, maybe it takes a seal coat. And he probably spilled enough oil to get in trouble with the state level environment people. So if customer is dissatisfied with the solution not only are they going to sue him and win they’re going to report him to whatever office does their state environmental stuff. Locally that would be TDEC but he’s in a different state. They’re probably going to fine him. Even if they don’t it will still be a headache. It will end much better for everyone to just seal the driveway if that’s what it takes to reach a resolution.
From the start I agree with the environmental aspect of it, it was cleaned so it doesn't apply. This sound reasonable what doesn't would be to shave and resurface or even seal coat the whole area when only a faction was ''damaged'' with this mentality there is no point being in business, you want something done too bad too afraid of the risk of going on your propriety... some of the things suggested here would be more like changing the 4 corner of the siding on your house because a few planks got discoloration on it because of the paint that got scrub off from cleaning it.

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #103  
This oil leak is well outside of the expected level of leakage. And the customers property arguably was damaged. If someone threw 5 gallons of paint on the side of your house I think everyone will agree it’s damaged even though it still does all the functions a house is supposed to. If it goes to court he would definitely loose. He owes the customer whatever it takes to restore the driveway to its previous state. Maybe that could be reached with cleaners, maybe it takes a seal coat. And he probably spilled enough oil to get in trouble with the state level environment people. So if customer is dissatisfied with the solution not only are they going to sue him and win they’re going to report him to whatever office does their state environmental stuff. Locally that would be TDEC but he’s in a different state. They’re probably going to fine him. Even if they don’t it will still be a headache. It will end much better for everyone to just seal the driveway if that’s what it takes to reach a resolution.
5 gallon is typical limit for environmental clean up

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway
Should I call the EPA or the Coast Guard, too?
Turn myself in to the County Sheriff and throw myself on the mercy of the Court?

OMG, relax. You’re too tense.

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #105  
My go-to grease remover for hydraulic oil is liquid Dawn dishwashing soap. It gets the oil out PDQ and is gentle on the surrounding surface. Dawn works surprisingly well and that alone would prob be enough.

After the Dawn, I let the summer sun and weather even things up Often it blends well enough but if not I suppose I could coat with sealer next year. Hydraulic oil goes away the best for me and heroic attempts at cleaning often left residual marks after the oil had gone away.

Pressure washing sounds like a bad idea and other chemicals can cause bigger problems. I just want to fix it well enough for it to look respectable and for people to leave me alone. I just pour or spread concentrated dawn on hours or a day before a rain and let nature take over. I have never brushed it in. For me, hydraulic oil is the easiest to deal with. The clay will take time to wash out and a garden hose and Dawn would help.

When I don't know what to do, I do the simple things first and save dramatic ideas for later. Usually, the simple things solve the problem. Just my two cents.

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway
I’m going to try a 5G bucket of warm water & fairly high concentration of Dawn first.
I did this with a lesser spill in my driveway and it worked pretty good.

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #107  
I’m going to try a 5G bucket of warm water & fairly high concentration of Dawn first.
I did this with a lesser spill in my driveway and it worked pretty good.
I squirt on straight Dawn concentrate on and go inside. You don't have to cover the whole area and it wicks into things and will dilute itself in a lightish misty rain. I'm pretty sloppy putting it on and it works. I have not had good luck with pre-diluting but it's worth a try.

I try a small area first but it's somewhat non-satisfying because stain removal needs time to elapse and my OCD doesn't wait.

Kudos for the big stain. While uncomfortable now, it's great fodder for the family in later years when they talk about all the "Remember When..." things that happened. Anybody that's any good in life has a list. Pain now; smiles later. ;)

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #108  
Should I call the EPA or the Coast Guard, too?
Turn myself in to the County Sheriff and throw myself on the mercy of the Court?

OMG, relax. You’re too tense.

Oh I definitely wouldn’t call them and if the customer remains satisfied they probably won’t either. I was just stating the likely outcome if they became dissatisfied with the deal.

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #109  
I've had the same thing happen.
Just go over the oil with a yard torch and burn it off.
Simple and works every time.
Just don't over heat the asphalt !!

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #110  
Had the misfortune of blowing a transmission oil return line down onto a customers driveway. Immediately Did the usual dose of kitty litter/absorbent.
This is no puddle. It’s a 100-150 foot long puddle.
Kitty litter did a decent job on what oil was laying on the surface, but now I still have the stain. I have been given a few different suggestions on remediation.

1. Wait until it dries and seal driveway. Issue with that is the driveway is 1000’ long. Might look odd to seal only 100-150’ of it. Whole driveway would be very expensive

2. Power-wash driveway with a Dawn & water mixture. Still pondering this solution.

Anyone else had luck with a very large stain like this?

View attachment 835440

View attachment 835441
I know your looking for a cheap quick fix but asphalt isnt really forgiving and any petroleum based product will make it worse and nothing will draw out the fluid,i would ask an asphalt company for a solution but think you will need to clean and recoat the surface at least and depending on how **** the owner is,thats why people wont hire companies that are not insured or you end up with a judge making a decision