Removing Slow Moving Vehicle sign when trailering your tractor

/ Removing Slow Moving Vehicle sign when trailering your tractor #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Saw one not removed. Kind of misleading.

Do you remove it?

Bruce

/ Removing Slow Moving Vehicle sign when trailering your tractor #3  
Only if it's at risk of becoming road debris. My dealer took mine off and had me put it in the truck when I picked it up, since it just slides into a tapered bracket on my ROPS.

/ Removing Slow Moving Vehicle sign when trailering your tractor #4  
Interesting question, I’ve heard of several people getting fined for not having a slow moving vehicle sign when required but I’ve never heard of anyone getting fined for not removing a slow moving vehicle sign when it wasn’t required.

/ Removing Slow Moving Vehicle sign when trailering your tractor #5  
Saw one not removed. Kind of misleading.

Do you remove it?

Bruce
Cause your thinking is people will think the tow vehicle is a slow moving vehicle?

/ Removing Slow Moving Vehicle sign when trailering your tractor #6  
Only if it's at risk of becoming road debris. My dealer took mine off and had me put it in the truck when I picked it up, since it just slides into a tapered bracket on my ROPS.
same here

/ Removing Slow Moving Vehicle sign when trailering your tractor #7  
"SMV signs are required by law on farm machinery and equipment traveling on roadways at speeds of 25 m.p.h. or less and must be visible for at least 500 feet to the rear. In Ohio, approved SMV signs have a front label identifying the manufacturer and documenting that the sign meets the American Society of Agricultural Engineers' (ASAE) standards for durability and longevity."

/ Removing Slow Moving Vehicle sign when trailering your tractor #8  
"SMV signs are required by law on farm machinery and equipment traveling on roadways at speeds of 25 m.p.h. or less and must be visible for at least 500 feet to the rear. In Ohio, approved SMV signs have a front label identifying the manufacturer and documenting that the sign meets the American Society of Agricultural Engineers' (ASAE) standards for durability and longevity."
Is it against the law to have a SMV sign on equipment going faster that 25 MPH?

If yes that poses a real problem since some newer farm tractors can go over 25 MPH but same implement might be pulled with tractors that only do 20 MPH.

/ Removing Slow Moving Vehicle sign when trailering your tractor #9  
It shouldn't be an issue when trailering, any more than expired plates would be on a trailered vehicle. I guess it would depend on how determined they are to shake revenue out of motorists.
I can see the problem of having a SMV sign on a trailer that is usually pulled by a tractor but might occasionally be roaded by a pickup, but that should be a rarity and generally understood in ag country.

/ Removing Slow Moving Vehicle sign when trailering your tractor #10  
To me, when I see a SMV sign, I give extra room as it may stop suddenly or maneuver eradicatily in rural areas.