Replacement 10HP diesel engine (china replica)

/ Replacement 10HP diesel engine (china replica) #1  

LanceH

Silver Member
I'm building a log splitter and was thinking about putting a 10hp diesel engine on it. This is more than the 8 or 9 minimum HP i need for my 16gpm pump and it is more fuel efficient than the Harbor Freight 11HP gasser I was going to use. Plus it sounds cool and not many people, at least around here, can say they have a diesel log splitter.

Does anyone have any experience with these replacement engines? You can get them from Surplus Center for about $750 or Ebay for $500.

heres a link to youtube where a guy put one on a tiller...YouTube - ‪Air Cooled China Diesel Rototiller‬‎
link for one on a homemade log splitter...https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=28-1768&catname=

link to surplus center...https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=28-1768&catname=

Anyone have one of these or used one? Advice would be helpful.

Attachments

• diesel engine.jpg
    diesel engine.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,032
   / Replacement 10HP diesel engine (china replica) #3  
does the diesel turn the same rpm's as the gas. If not the splitter might be slow,
Bill

/ Replacement 10HP diesel engine (china replica) #4  
I have the original Yanmar 10hp on my tracked dumper. It has performed perfectly for several years. I personally don't trust the Chinese versions of anything .

/ Replacement 10HP diesel engine (china replica) #6  
I have two chinese generators with that same engine, near as I can tell. They are clones of the Yanmar. So far both have been flawless. Got quite a few hours on one at my camp, the other is standby at home and only gets run an hour or so a month.

I think the prices are way out of line though...I paid less than that for each complete 6Kw generator, although admittedly I found a deal.

/ Replacement 10HP diesel engine (china replica) #7  
Dear Sir
I went through 4 diesels from Princess to get a good one.The clone they choose could not stamp a proper recoil and when it kicked on up start it tore the rewind out. The root cause was the rewind was not centered and the dogs grabed. I proved it by measuring the center with the recoil off on hand turn over. You might not enjoy the PURR if you are using it on a wood splitter and are standing beside it.
Craig Clayton

/ Replacement 10HP diesel engine (china replica) #8  
I purchased a Yanmar L100 clone 10 hp diesel for my screen plant in May of '09. It has run flawlessly, other than the bushing in the starter went, so I used my old Yanmar starter.

No issues and only $540.00 to my doorstep. Hated to do it, but Yanmar was $2400 and they said their engine really wasn't rebuildable:mad:, that I was better off buying new.

www.carrollstream.net

I plan to buy a couple more to run a conveyor and allow me to have a spare. For the price they get I could have a shelf full of them as spares. The only other suggestion is to flush the crank after running for a few minutes. I did and got a lot of filings from the machine process, but that is to be expected with low budget.

For gas engines, I've had good luck with small engine wharehouse. They have scratch and dent Honda's on deep discount.

/ Replacement 10HP diesel engine (china replica) #9  
The only other suggestion is to flush the crank after running for a few minutes. I did and got a lot of filings from the machine process, but that is to be expected with low budget.

Same here. Be sure to clean the screen filter too..

/ Replacement 10HP diesel engine (china replica) #10  
wondering what the advantage of diesel over gas engine is. i bought a 13hp honda clone for $219 delivered when i built my pull behind tiller this spring and am very pleased. starts first pull every time, easy on gas, strong as heck. can buy 3- 13hp gas engines for price of 1- 1ohp diesel. am i missing something here?